Some pictures of figs, 2015

It’s a good one too! I will send in the spring. I’ll let you know.

I have other figs (rooted cuttings) I will be offering for postage in the spring for others here. Things may change if they don’t make it, something happens etc. If all goes well I have an extra Excel another decent fig, Sal’s GS and maybe others too. I’ll make the offer in the spring. Mrsg since you’re sending me a book, and scion well this sort of evens things up!

Drew,

I would love that Excel if you have an extra.

That is the only fig I’ve tried to root this winter but failed. It was consumed by mold from the start.

If not, then no worries.

If mine survives the winter in ground (it’s a trial), I can make you an air layer this year if you don’t get one.

1 Like

Yeah sure, it is from Kelby’s cuttings, I may even have a 2nd one. I wrote it down, so i won’t forget!
Anybody want the Sal’s GS? (Same as Sal’s EL).

Looks Great Brent, How Did I258 Compare, does it live up to the hype it gets.

Panache Tiger, harvested 2015-07-28

5 Likes

Over evens!:innocent:

Now I can’t wait for mine to fruit!

That’s good to know! I have been looking hard at some. Trying to find cold hardy, early ripening, etc.
In that video of Brogiotto Nero Fig by PA figs, who has tried numerous figs, including the high end figs, he describes this one as top rate. He has made numerous videos. My cuttings came from him.
Rooting them now. Also Valle Negra is described by some as way better than VDB. So another I would like to try. It was brought over by an Italian professor who has brought a few others over here too. Most from him go for big bucks, but Valle Negra is not expensive. In the future I’ll have cuttings of these for anybody to try.

That is indeed the fig I want!

Is Easton Vasilika a Bass find? Looks good.

Herman2 Id’d it as Vasilika Sika so I changed the name from the initial misleading “Easton Red”. The leaves do seem to be more defined than Adriatic JH and Battaglia. Although 2 of 10 Adriatic JHs had identical leaves to EV/VS last year. I personally think that Battaglia, Adriatic JH, Vasilika Sika, Green Ischia, Verte could all be from the same mother with epigenetic changes or something of that sort, they are so much more similar than different.

@scottfsmith, the title probably should say “favorite figs 2015” :smile: I loved all of these but Barnisotte is really perfect to my taste when it gets ripened properly. They often tear at the neck and fall off early though. Have had it longer than the others so it has an advantage also.

@strudeldog, I have only had 2 figs so far but was very impressed. Very sharp taste with plenty of sweetness and good size.

I’m trying to root Brogiotto Nero which is supposed to be the same or similar to Barnisotte. Like you mention with the white figs being related, these blacks are too. I guess Nero and Violet De Sollies are also the same as these? It is very confusing. One needs to research well. Slight difference are probably the case, as you mention slight mutations, or sports. So I guess I can compare one day. Cool too hear it rocks though!

I have about 20 figs now, and now to see which works here, what tastes best and slowly eliminate cultivars. I hope to reduce them to 10 or less to keep. Five would be perfect. I doubt I could cut them down that low though. Maybe keep ten.

I’m looking forward for the next harvest too. The taste was sublime.

Stan when does this fig ripen in your area?
OK, I looked it up and it is a late harvest type not good for my area. Darn! Needs heat too! Oh well…
A good alternative for me would be Peter’s Honey. I guess both crops are early. It’s supposed to be a good one too.

Drew, Panache fig ripened for me at the end of July. Peter’s Honey started to ripen about 7-10 days later and continued to bear until the end of August. In my opinion, they are quite different figs. Peter’s Honey figs are smaller and have dark amber flesh (I would call this color dark honey) and sweet honey-like taste. Panache has bright strawberry red flesh and also very sweet, but, in my opinion, flavor is much richer. Check whether Desert King would be appropriate to your area, in my opinion, it is more similar to Panache in size and flesh color, texture and taste (the difference is that Panache turns yellow when fully ripe while DK remains green). Desert King ripened for me throughout August and then produced second harvest in late September. Peter’s Honey also tried to produce a second harvest, but in mid-to-late October, and fruit did not have time to ripen.

I’m not sure whether my results would be indicative for other areas. We have lots and lots of heat from May to September. Especially, during the last summer we had a bunch of heat waves with 100+ temperatures, and days like that make figs ripen visibly faster: I had to harvest two-tree times a day, as a fruit would ripen in a matter of hours.

Oh my!! Just stunning, absolutely stunning!! Salivating over the pictures. I think I will lick the screen… :smiley:

2 Likes

Barnisotte from the USDA at Davis (DFIC 069) doesn’t seem to be the same as Brogiotto Nero. Just from comparing fruit pics and seeing the plant characteristics of the BNs I rooted last spring. Although the source I bought from did not follow through with the pics they said they would take this past season, so to me its identity is still questionable. Pictures are required for making an accurate verification, you can’t rely on memory, nor can you get a peer review… So don’t quote me on that, It will be another year or more before I can be confident.

But I digress :wink: One very meaningful difference that I expect to see is that BN is later ripening than DFIC 069, the eye also appears to be much larger and the shape very different.

I will ask you again about this in the fall. I have to keep Barnisotte on the want list! You’re not helping me here!

You’re not helping either! What a beautiful fig Panache is! Added to want list then.
On top of that I read Black Madeira is late, but not too late, so it may produce some here. Darn, the list is getting longer not shorter! It’s cold hardy too.
Man this is killing me!
This year though I cannot start one more fig, I was out of room 3 figs ago! Next year they will be in the garage and not taking my lights up! Of course the car cannot go in the garage anymore! (I have a van, it doesn’t fit anyway).

I felt the same way. I never grew figs before now I have five on the way. My husband will be cross-eyed! :rage:

Yeah although even if a month later here, that would be in prime time here. so it’s OK. Desert King works here, yes, it’s very cold hardy. The only cuttings that failed for me this year. I have to wait till next year to try again.