Some Vegies and Herbs

Processed the Curry Leaf and prepped to bring in. Here is before. 5 gal bucket for scale.
53106484948__792F965E-1CAB-4521-8687-11328ADDF1DA-1
After…
IMG_1563-1
And the point of the exercise…Curry Leaf seasoning oil…yum.
IMG_1564-1

6 Likes

Just ordered some leaves today!

Fresh?

Yes from an Indian market on the internet. :grinning:

2 Likes

Yacón, six feet high and blooming :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nice, Richard.
Do you know the variety?
I read you should allow them to ‘cure’ for a month after harvest to increase sweetness. We did and had them 2 nights ago in a salad and they were delicious!!! Haven’t put them in a stri fry yet but plan to. Will def plant as much as I can next year…well, need to see how long they keep in storage first. And if they store well,… well then move over sweet potatoes.

1 Like

I believe these are simply the species – no particular cultivar.

In a root cellar, or …?

These folks list a number of varieties.

Mine is Morado. Unfortunately they had a flood which they say destroyed their crop so none will be available until fall of 2018. Everything is ‘sold out’. They do, however, have excellent and detailed info on growing and storing yacon and their other offerings.

Haha, too close to sea level for such a luxury. I have been watching them and doing them like sweet potatoes or other bulb-like harvests. In my experience managing humidity is key and I use a combo of newspaper(drying, when air is humid) and grocery bags(moisture retention when heat dries the air) depending on the time of year. And just check them all over when I go to use them.

1 Like

This year’s sweet potato harvest :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Today we harvested nearly 5 gallons of yacón tubers. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Washed and drying, mostly yacón with sweet potatoes on the far right.

4 Likes

Black Krim tomatoes. About twice this many are still ripening on the plant. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The last of the Guajillo peppers … George Washington approved :wink:

3 Likes

Chili+tomato+yacón rellenos casserole.

6 Likes

Here’s my plan for 2018:

2 Likes

Still harvesting Black Krim tomatoes.

5 Likes

5 lbs Black Krim tomatoes, 1 quart loose Columnar Basil leaves, and (store bought) 1 fist Garlic, 2 tsps each Black Pepper & Sea Salt, plus 1 new food processor ==> about 1/2 gallon Marinara Sauce. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Still harvesting Black Krim tomatoes. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Richard, what would you do with almost green ones? I had Cherokee chocolate with the same habit of uneven ripening and cracking - they never had a chance to ripe on shelf, always get bad before they ready.

The external skin is sporting a green crown but internally they’re completely ripe. Here’s a view from the bottoms:

2 Likes