Squirrels...@&$?

A few notes on the squirrel thing: I have squirrel issues with my nut trees, but not a lot in the fruit. Usually there are enough acorns and bay nuts to keep them busy, but I suspect I’ll have more trouble in the future. But, I go out of my way to hunt squirrels to eat. If well prepared they are very good eating and easy to prepare, especially if you don’t want to keep the skin. The skin, at least of our Western Gray Squirrels, is not only the perfect size and consistency to learn tanning leather, but the skin is very nice. Sure it’s small, but it’s quality skin and thick enough to make small items. I tell people all the time if you want to learn to tan, learning on squirrel skins is great, either for hair off, or hair on tanning. If you don’t want the skin, look on youtube and there are a bunch of guys who will show you how to skin them very fast and clean by cutting the skin in half. They are very easy to process. This guy says he can do them in 30 seconds or less. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtspCxIfWuI I realize that to many modern Americans, eating squirrels, let alone going out of your way to hunt them would be considered strange behavior, but millions of Americans still think it doesn’t get any better than hunting and eating squirrels and that’s how it’s always been. Strange times we live in :slight_smile:

I hunt them almost exclusively with a .22 caliber air rifle. This is not a toy, but an accurate deadly tool if your aim is good. It is quieter and safer than a regular .22 rifle and the pellets are cheaper than bullets. It is also light. A scope is almost essential, unless you can get very close, and in any case will reduce the incidence of injured escaped squirrels and allow you to shoot farther and get more squirrels. A good air rifle isn’t that cheap by the time you put a decent scope on it, but they are fun to shoot and you can also take other game and pests with it. I’ve taken a lot of wild turkeys with mine and also used it to dispatch wiley chickens. The Chickens quickly learned that once the rifle came out, one of them was going to be lunch and they would all run off and hide immediately. If you have invasive pest birds, like starlings, it is a relatively safe, effective way to dispatch a few in many situations. I have a silencer on mine, so it probably sounds something like a loud nail gun.

A very effective way to take squirrels is with nooses along a pole. It is not legal here and probably not in many areas, but probably okay anywhere trapping squirrels is legal. Check your game laws. copper wire nooses are attached to a pole that runs from one tree to another. If you run a pole from any tree to another tree or to a fence, or to the ground etc, squirrels will go out of their way to use it. The nooses have to be set just right so that they just fit the head of a squirrel running, without catching the feet. They think nothing of the wire, because they are used to running through twigs anyway. You can set several along one pole and if they run past one, they might get caught in one of the others. If you set them right, the squirrel will be caught be the neck, jump off and be killed by hanging. The disadvantages are that if you catch a leg or two the squirrel will suffer a long time. Also, it’s not the greatest way to die in the first place and there are probably traps that make for a quicker kill. The advantage is that catch of non-target animals like birds should be very, very low since they are very specific to how the squirrel behaves. They are also cheap. These snares are pretty much invisible to the squirrel as a threat, so there is no fear or suspicion to overcome. Finally, they take advantage of a very predictable squirrel behavior. You can set up a pole permanently in a domestic situation and know almost without fail that every squirrel that moves in will use the pole. This would be an excellent way to take pestilent city squirrels with almost no chance of catching non-target animals unless they are other species of squirrels. Since there is no bait, other animals, namely birds which are common as by-catch in rodent traps of most kinds, won’t be tempted near the trap. Setting the nooses can be somewhat tricky. Watch a squirrel run along a pole and set the noose just high enough not to catch the feet and just big enough to take the head. Here is a video I made of a squirrel running on a pole https://youtu.be/k6Vfg3EHQMk?t=3m26s The wire has to be thin enough to close easily and heavy enough to support the weight of the squirrel easily. I can’t remember what gauge I used, its been a long time since I set any. With any trapping, checking your traps frequently is the decent thing to do. No matter how careful, by catch, body snares and other unpreferable things happen and you can avoid some suffering by frequent checks. Traps like leg hold, conibear and ground snares are especially prone to by-catch.

12 Likes

Thanks for the tutorial @SkillCult! Maybe when I retire I will have the time for squirrel stew and squirrel mittens. Right now they are just fox food. I used some of the noose traps in the past, I found the hammer traps easier and more reliable so stopped using them some time ago. Also the neighbors don’t like the sight of a “squirrel gallows”, the hammer traps hide most of the dead squirrel.

@Mickster it has been a bit worse than usual here. What I have done is multiplied the number of traps to deal with rapid influx. I had a wave move through a few days ago and had over ten traps baited and caught 6 squirrels at once. That pretty much iced that wave, no sightings or sounds or anything since then.

1 Like

I have two tube traps set all the time and they fill up quickly. Are you using Kania and tube traps along with your squirrelinator? I think I’m going to order a couple more tube traps to get this situation under control. My plum went from hundreds of plums to almost no plums in less than a week. Been picking plums early and letting them ripen on the counter. Definitely changes the taste.

Yes I am. Of these 6 I had 2 x Kania, 3 x squirrelinator and 1 x tube. I only have one tube trap out now but tuned up the others recently and will be deploying more tube traps soon.

BTW make sure to put the tube trap in the tree they are after. I have my one tube now set as a “ramp” to my first apricot tree that ripens, so the shortest path to those cots is through the trap. Even if they are set on a particular tree they usually take at least one trip to the trap. But if the trap is not right in their way they may completely ignore it if they have latched on to the ripening fruits already.

1 Like

All of mine are sitting on the ground right below my plum tree. To gauge their interest I put a small splat of peanut butter near the perimeter. They must have an impeccable sense of smell because they b-line it right for the traps. In a few rare cases they are able to get the bait w/o setting off the trap. Most of the time the traps work as expected. To keep up with the massive number of 4 legged pests it looks like I will need to pick up a couple more traps. Still pissed they cleaned out an entire tree in less than a week. It was LOADED.

would give three likes if i could for the epic music and the headdresses.

Sorry to hear about your plum… Even though I have been dealing with squirrels for more than a dozen years they still usually clear out a few of my early trees every year. Gold Dust peach for example is close to the orchard edge, I have had only a couple of them in the last five years. Chojuro pear is similar. The clearing out usually motivates me to be extra diligent and I eventually start getting most of the fruits.

I got two more today, with a Kania and a squirrelinator. The tube was set off by a bird. Ten re-baited tonight and ready to roll tomorrow.

I am learning the frustration of squirrels and fruit trees. In my second year trees, I started with 25 apples- I am now down to one (last I checked). I trapped a multitude of squirrels earlier this season (preemptively) and had none that were local to my property remaining. Apparently, the word got out among the squirrel population and I have had visitors form neighboring areas. Caught 6 squirrels in the past few days, as well as 4 skunks. Two of my 4 peach trees have been stripped, in order of ripening, of course. They also got my 1 pear. I am going to have to formulate a new plan for next year.

2 Likes

been a few around so i tied a few rat traps baited with pb , on the limbs of my big spruces. got 2 so far. i hear more chattering up there.

2 Likes

My peach trees are loaded for the first time and harvester should be ripening in the next few weeks. I got the tube trap going, but of course now i have not seen a squirrel in my yard in a couple weeks and caught none, which is a good thing. Kind of eerie. Calm before the storm?

Quick followup question…should i turn off the tube traps at night?

I would leave them active just in case there are rats running around the orchard after dark.

1 Like

Squirrels go out looking for food in the early morning, so the trap should be ready for them then. About a quarter to a third of the squirrels that I catch, I find in my traps when I wake up in the morning, around 6 am. My advice is to have more than one trap, 3-4 as a starter (unless squirrel pressure is very low in your neighborhood) and put them at the points of squirrel entry to your yard, which are usually near big trees.

2 Likes

May need to do some squirrel control next year. Not a peach left. This is the pits.

3 Likes

Are you sure they areonly squirrels?

My squirrels don’t eat that neatly. They have a ill-eating manner.

What I have found that bunnies finished up whatever squirrels have left the rest and left seeds for me.

There are some rabbits and chipmunks as well. Up to now I haven’t been concerned with the critters. Just letting trees grow. Orchard is up against a few square miles of undeveloped woods. I may need to bulldoze another 100 yards of it to the fence. Make the critters run in the open for the hawks and owls to eat. Maybe put some owl boxes out? Maybe do nothing. Just a hobby orchard

Once they have found you, you are an easy food source and your food is delish.

2 Likes

Is that @Richard? Man he’s good at everything.

9 Likes

I came out to cut this…but the damn something beat me to it…

so now I’m using it bait any critter…

1 Like