Stark Bro's Sale - (In case you wondered...)

I would assume that… I wonder why 19? Did they have 18 others that didn’t make the cut?

So many Honeycrisp crosses out there now…

17PE6000 is the code for 3.14 FLAT RATE shipping now through 3/14 pie day sale

1 Like

I like that name better than Scarlet Crush … There’s an apple cultivar called “Strawberry Parfait”.

Those names make me think the flesh is red…but i don’t think they are…they sound good. I’d name one cheesecake.

Thanks! And it’s exciting to see the Scarlet Crush… I’ve been eyeing it in my Stark Bros’ catalog! Hope you get some tasty apples from it!

My guess is that Cherry Parfait #19 is the name that Lee and Mary Elliott gave the cross before they convinced Stark to sell it. See this page:

It seems the patent is pending.

Is that one of those newfangled Honeycrisp offshoot/sports? How does it supposedly compare to the original HC, different ripening time, color, etc?

Honeycrisp X Cripps Pink.

As mentioned Scarlett Crush is Honeycrisp x Pink Lady. Their other new cross is called Ruby Darling and it’s HC x Gala.

1 Like

Honeycrisp plus Pink Lady ought to be a great apple. But, the result is not always the sum of its parts. HC is an early apple, and PL is very late, so when does this one ripen? Has anyone on here tasted one?

Considering this is the first year release and is exclusive to Stark I’m pretty certain no one here has tasted one. I think the ripening date was said to be late September which pretty much splits the difference between HC and PL. If it has the HC explosive texture but the depth of flavor of Pink Lady I’ll be thrilled.

So, does that mean you can’t propagate cuttings off these two Stark’s creations?

Sounds like “Cherry Parfait” is the name of all the Honeycrisp x Pink Lady seedlings they made with hybridization, and that it was the tree marked as #19 in the project, in a hybridization project each seed varies some in the traits of what it will grow, they will vary just like seedlings that are not hybridized, the best seedling(s) are chosen and named. Each tree has a different number in hybridization projects

You can do anything you want with the plant material provided it’s for your own personal use and you don’t profit from it. See 7 Section 2541 e)

I just posted this on another thread.

This is not correct. Plant variety protection =/= to plant patents.

http://www.bios.net/daisy/bios/1234#exclusionary_right

A plant patent gives the patent holder the right to:
exclude others from asexually reproducing, using, selling, offering for sale or importing into the United States the reproduced plant (or any of its parts)* for a period of 20 years.

Edit: we had this discussion before. In which, I reached the following conclusion:

PS. @Richard somewhere suggested there was case law to exempt the individual from the stringent requirements of Plant Patent law. I’d be happy if he could provide a citation there. (I can dig in US Code, but case law is beyond me.)

If you need a lawyer be sure to vet them carefully. A few of them really are worth their weight in gold.

Yes I see, plant variety protection and the accompanying certificate of protection is for seeds and tubers not already covered by a patent, in which case noncommerical acts are non-infringing. For trees/plants covered by patent all nonconsented asexual propagation is infringing. Oh well…

Unless you are able and willing to hire an expert in agricultural case law.

There are certainly a lot of crosses related to Honeycrisp being developed. Its the texture that people want to incorporate into their varieties.

The $3.14 flat rate shipping is nice if you only want one tree. Usually if you only want one tree from somewhere it is around $30 plus $20 shipping. I just ordered a 5/8" caliper Dwarf Contender peach for $36 total with shipping. 3/8" caliper would have been $29 with shipping. Wish I knew the rootstock but I’ll give it a chance. Sale is on until 3/14.