Stark Bro's Sale - (In case you wondered...)

Stark’s sends extra stuff every once in a while. I’ve got bug spray and 5 hour energies from them in the past. And some other things as well.

1 Like

I’ve avoided being tempted by this sale because 10 of the trees I got from them at this time last year were dead before the end of summer. The remainder leafed out and just barely hung in there. They did replace the dead ones this past March. Those were mostly okay trees. It’s just too hot here by now for trees to handle the transition directly out of cold storage.

I feel a little left out because they’ve never sent any surprise goodies my way. Then again, I’m not of a mind to try luring possums or cats into the orchard, anyway.

2 Likes

I was lured by the 4.99 trees this morning. An Idared, snappymac, and zestar are on their way to me. $7 each shipped.

I’m hoping there’s no cat food involved. Ugh.

4 Likes

They sent me cat food so you will likely get some. The raccoons love it better than apples :0)

1 Like

Me too.

Is Idared Apple a great tasting apple?

We are going into the hottest time of the year and planting a bare root tree requires a huge investment of time. The three late season bare root trees from last year are doing well but they required a huge amount of TLC. The price is tempting but not this season.

I know this has been discussed, but could you remind me what rootstocks stark calls Semidwarf. I know that you never know what rootstock your tree is on from them and I hate that. I have three planted from a couple years ago and am always wondering what rootstock there on

Idared’s taste, I don’t know but I read that it is susceptible to fire blight.

At this time of the year, I put these trees in large nursery pots in a location that gets sun in the morning and shade pretty much the rest of the day. I do water daily or at least every other day. I plant in late fall or early spring. This has been pretty successful for me in S.E. Ohio area.

4 Likes

It has roots!

That cat food is highly regarded by the pride here

1 Like

The wine crisp always interests me, but I have to just say know to my impulse to order anything else.

I’m glad to see the idea about the large nursery pots. I need to replace a few trees and probably want to add some new ones next year anyway, but didn’t want to think about ordering and planting these bareroot trees assuming that they’re out of dormancy and it’s now summertime weather here. I think now I’ll pull the trigger and order half a dozen new dwarf apples.

1 Like

Blueberry is on sale for zone 7-10 http://www.starkbros.com/products/berry-plants/blueberry-plants/sharpblue-blueberry

BobC, I’m curious what size nursery pots those are and if you have a good place to purchase them cheap. I found some 3 gallon pots and the price seems OK, but I’m curious if they’ll be big enough for bareroot fruit seedlings.

5-7 gallon and I go around to nurseries to buy or get free. Also purchase some from

1 Like

Thanks Bob. That’s not a bad price if the shipping isn’t horrendous. I have a local nursery and I’ll check with them, but if not, I’m going to need 7 pots for the Stark trees I just ordered on their sale. Thanks again.

I asked StarkBros Nursery on what rootstock is my semi-dwarf Idared apple is on, and they said on M106.

The tree varieties keep changing! I need that one and that one too, $4.99, take one of those too!! First order four days ago, nice, large whips, great roots. second order tonight.

3 Likes

Flat $8.00 shipping with code 16SN6000

1 Like