Stark Bro's Sale - (In case you wondered...)

Hi everyone! I’ve been lurking for awhile and learning a ton. I purchased a zestar! from this sale and it is blossoming. Anyone else? I presume I need to pinch the blossoms. Is there a specific time that I do this or quicker the better?

Thank you!

1 Like

You can remove the flowers right away and let all the energy going toward growth.

Tony

thanks!

Just an update on my potted, partial shaded SB trees. Cicadas left them pretty much alone.

6 Likes

Those are from the clearance sale this year? Gotta tell ya, those look better than mine ever did last summer. It looks like they are doing very well with lots of new growth. Way to go, Bob!

1 Like

Thanks! Yes, they are from the sale.

The seven I got from the sale look equally as good. Nice job, Bob. Made a rhyme.

3 Likes

Have the the cicadas been eating up your other plants @BobC? I was talking to an Army vet last weekend who lives close to Jackson, and he said they are thick in his area, but didn’t mention about them eating his stuff.

So when you get bare root trees, you don’t put them straight into the ground? Do you pot them for a year and then plant them? Is this to protect them from varmits (deer)? Or, maybe you put them in pots for the summer, and then plant them in the fall when they go dormant?

I potted 7 of the Stark sale apple trees in pots this year. By the time I got the bareroots, it was hot and dry summer weather here and my orchard is isolated enough from the house that I don’t water the trees once they’re put in the ground. I can water them several times a week and keep an eye on them this way, then I’ll plant after dormancy (I prefer spring planting to fall in my area, but our winter lows are pretty severe at times).

I would put them in the ground if you get fall rains or in the garage. The winter will damage pears in pots if left outside. I tried to winter some trees in pots once and they were dead that spring because they were zone 5 plants. In the pot it’s like being a zone or two colder. Maybe you already knew that but I learned the hard way many years ago.

I have not notice any damage other than them laying eggs in limbs and them breaking off. If I get 5/8 inch bareroots very early in spring, I put them in the ground. Otherwise, I put them in pots depending on the size until the fall or the following spring. Once again depending on size.

I’ve been concerned about how to keep them overwinter. We’re in zone 5A and the trees I purchased are all dwarf apples, probably mostly zone 4 and 5 varieties. I have a garage (and a barn), but it’s not heated and will still get dreadfully cold. I think they’ll be OK if protected inside the garage, but I may have to bundle them up with something for insurance.

1 Like

Put the pots in the ground . It is the roots that can’t handle the cold. Just make sure you protect them from voles if you have them.

1 Like

I would get them in the ground this fall. There is nothing to lose.

I guess what I have to lose are 7 trees that might die to wintertime temps after being fall transplanted. :grin: I can’t say that I’ve ever planted in the fall because I’ve heard so many horror stories from others in my area who have never had any luck doing so. I suppose I’d prefer to plant them this fall after dormancy if the likelihood is that all will survive, but if I’m likely to lose a few (or more), I’d just as soon store them this winter and plant in the spring. Am I being too paranoid about the dangers of fall planting in my area?

1 Like

If you have a sheltered area where you can heel them into the ground over winter that would be my approach. South side of a building. Plant them in a tight group, protect them from vermin and mulch with a good layer. Dig and transplant next spring to their permanent homes. Much more likely to lose them trying to keep them in pots over winter IMO.

1 Like

Thanks TCT, I’ll probably follow your advice, much appreciated.

Anyone else notice the zester is growing like a weed in comparison to other trees from the sale?

Clark, that is not the case for me. I only ordered 3 trees but all 3 ha e started leaking out at about the same rate. My golden Russet might be a tick behind but generally they are all equal.

1 Like

Maybe they just like it here.