Starting Peach/Nectarines from pits

My peach seedlings started to bloom in their third season. The first fruit developed in the fourth season. Thats the beauty with peaches from pits. You can experiment with them alot trying to find a seedling with good quality fruit, since they are so precocious (mine were so lala).

1 Like

that would be nice…

1 Like

When one grows peaches, nectarines, apricots from pit - are they more likely to come true to the parent plant, or do they come out completely odd like apples grown from seed?

I have about 14 pear trees grown from seed in my backyard. What are the chances a normal pear will come from them?

1 Like

I have a few fruits on one of my peach seedlings this year. I am happy to see they are sizing up pretty well.

Naomi, peaches are more likely to come true to seed than apples or pears. More generally, self-pollinating plants are more likely to be more like the parents than non-self-pollinating ones. Its something related to genetic distance which I don’t understand.

3 Likes

that’s good to know. I’m amazed at how fast this tree is growing, seems like it’s putting on more growth every day…

1 Like

I have 1 nectarine on a seedling. I’ve noticed most of my seedlings come out as nectarines, but that makes sense because its mostly what i buy.

1 Like

Question! My seedling peach is always loaded with fruit but too sour for me to eat. Only a friend from Cambodia adores sour fruit. They are also small to medium. Must be a rootstock I am not familiar with.

1 Like

AFAIK, stone fruit grown from seed tends to have much more resemblance to its parent(s) than apples and pears.

1 Like

I had two dozen newly-potted apricot seedlings ripped up and eaten by a squirrel in less than an hour last year! Grrr! If you plant peach or apricot seeds, you might have to protect them from the tree-rats!

1 Like

same problem when I initially started mine…but they only got 3 or 4 and left the others alone for some reason…

1 Like

this is the same tree from the June 15th picture. Can’t believe how much growth it’s put on in just a month…I must have it in the right place, but thinking I may regret putting it that close to the fence…making it easier for the squirrels…anyway, I’ve started pruning out some of the smaller limbs. For reference that is a 6 foot fence and the tallest branch is now well over the top of it…

6 Likes

This tree continues to put on size, some of the bigger branches are hardening off. I guess that’s the term for it…what amazes me is how there doesn’t appear to be any issues with pest…I’m thinking by next year I might actually have a few peaches.

3 Likes

Pests usually do not bother peach trees until they bear fruit.

1 Like

I had a peach from my seedling today. The deer/squirrels got all but one so I figured I had better grab it. It was not quite ripe but it was still very tasty. It seems related to the Crawford peaches, it sprouted right by those trees. The fruit is smaller and cling.

1 Like

Maybe it’s different for peaches…the pests down here didn’t seem to care that my apples trees weren’t bearing fruit…

1 Like

I protected 1 nectarine on a seedling…It got brown rot the other day as it was ripening…oh well. I had a bunch of Saturn off of it a couple weeks ago.

1 Like