Steady trickle of exotic fruits in the stores

I’ve been smiling a lot while I’ve read this thread while enjoying a late night snack, wiping off my fingers to type, and occasionally blotting my chin.

1 Like

Nope, not a chance. I will be doing all the cuttings and separating out the meats and the seeds. I may boil some seeds to eat as well. They are very starchy in texture. I really like the super sweet and fragrant of JF meats. I am sure my blood sugar will be in the 500s after eating a cup of them.

Tony

jackfruit may be sugary, but it is quite high in potassium too, so that should take care of it.

durian are intriguingly in the same family as okra, and if you’ve ever harvested okra pods straight from the plants with your bare hands , you’d likely feel an occasional stabbing with the small spines all over the pod.
Even more intriguing is that if you let an okra mature, it will dehisce(crack) at certain sections along its length to expose the seeds, much like a mature durian will.

2 Likes

Oh yeah,pickled Okra!I could eat a lot of those crunchy things. Brady

2 Likes

me too! And as for fresh okra, it is like its durian cousin, being loved by many, but also avoided by many.
among vegies, fresh young okra is probably second only to sweet corn in sugar content.
could eat it everyday!

Then you should visit my town in late September when we hold our annual Okra Strut, a celebration of all things okra.

2 Likes

will compete in that okra eating contest. Perhaps just one competitor comes first, but hey, it is an okra buffet, so everybody wins!

http://discoversouthcarolina.com/products/753

1 Like

The white nectarines at Wegman’s the past few weeks have been really good. The one I had tonight was fabulous. I wonder where they came from-- Calif perhaps?

The only way I can eat okra is if it’s cooked into oblivion in a hot soup. Otherwise, the slimy texture turns my stomach.

If your okra is slimy, you’re doing it wrong. You’ve gotta cut it into pieces, toss it with corn flour, and cook in butter/oil. It becomes really healthy at that point too! Jk, but it tastes awesome with some garlic salt added!

Also, the “queen” of fruits, the mangosteen, has many sisters (garcinia’s) that are also supposed to taste pretty amazing! The only other one I’ve tried so far is lemon drop mangosteen. Very delicious! A little tarter than purple mangosteen and grows much faster. (fruits at a very young age and size) I’m sure there are even some northerners growing it in pots.

1 Like

Very likely CA, FL and TX produce a little early fruit but CA probably 95% or more.

1 Like

I just planted an achachairu and a Mexican garcinia (luc’s). Super excited to try the fruit in a mere 7 to 10 years :slightly_smiling:

3 Likes

Be careful trying unknown exotic fruit. My hubby and I decided to try a star fruit (Carambola), so we bought one and finished it before going to sleep. Big mistake) As well we could eat hallucinogen mushrooms. It was a very strange night for both of us. And a lot of headaches next day.) Next day I found that it is known effect on some people. Funny that we both were affected the same way.

When I took a friend to dialysis sessions,there was a sign near the front desk,warning the patients not to eat Starfruit. Brady

That is 100% true. My mom was on a renal diet for 15 years and one of the things I’ll always remember was them telling her was to never eat star fruit.

Ok… you scaring me now - does it mean we both have kidney issues without even knowing it???

I love star fruit! I had no idea they could do that. I ate a big old star fruit by myself so thankfully it did not affect me like that!

It is possible that some people are more sensitive to different toxins.I haven’t done a lot of research about this.Possibly let your family doctor know what happened.
Patty(hoosierquilt)is a nurse.She might have some information. Brady
I found a little Q & A link about the topic.
http://www.nutritionatc.hawaii.edu/HO/2003/202.htm

high in oxalate as well as having a weird neurotoxin.

I picked and tried some bilimbi, which is a carambola (star fruit) relative, the other day. Wow! Sour! I should have expected that, since it’s used is to remove stubborn stains, rust, and tarnish. :smile: However, I was also told that it is used to make a refreshing drink, and to add tang in food preparation.

1 Like