Strange weather - Will it get our blooms and fruit?

What I have blooming in my grow tent that won’t get hit unless I do something dumb are the key lime (hundreds of blooms and buds), bearss lime (light amount of blossoms this go round), Meyer lemon, Ponderosa lemon, red navel (first time blooming, but has set a lot of fruit and is still making more buds), Washington navel (also first time blooming and just starting out), Owari satsuma is also putting on a light bloom right now after pushing a lot of new growth. Last year that one also did a light early bloom an then a normal bloom a few months later after being moved outside. There’s also a roma tomato blooming in there. I rooted the stem of one from outside in the fall and brought it in just to see what it would do. We’ve had a few fresh tomatoes and bell peppers during winter.

In my windows I have some hibiscus, a mandevilla, and bougainvillea blooming. Frost shouldn’t get those, either.

No additional fruit trees have opened blossoms outdoors. The one apple tree continues to open more blossoms and push leaves. Also the Prime Ark Freedom blackberries and strawberries continue to make blossoms. With possible mid-20 lows occurring this coming mid-week, I expect those to be just as unfruitful as their January counterparts.

So, yes, the season is knocking out some of my blooms and fruits, but there’s still hope for most to make it through the transition into spring.

1 Like

That’s good to know about the bloom.I imagine yours began flowering in January? Brady

Same here, @mrsg47 & @Johnthecook. Peach blossoms are swelling a lot more than I’d like to see. And we’re getting forecasts for a few days of teens and 20s late next week with nights of right around zero degrees.

1 Like

Yep, Glad I don’t have scion wood in the fridge yet!

Here in northern CA Dapple Supreme is my first tree to bloom also.

Flavor Supreme is not that far behind

My nectarine popped a bud open earlier this week, my peaches are cherries are swelling strongly, and we’ve got a 10 degree night in our forecast for this week.

Sorry for the backfocus. I wish I could manually focus my cellphone camera!

Just when many people thought we got away with a light winter it is 26 degrees tommorow night and 27 Saturday. Thoughts ? Looks like my suspicions from back in January were dead on and we will lose our fruit this year.

I bought a gallon of KDL, and although we’re supposed to only go down to
34, the weatherman might be wrong, so I’m spraying everything that’s in full
bloom. I lost all of my stone fruits last year, and I’m determined to not lose
them this year. I have yet to eat my first pluot. I don’t know, if KDL will work
or not, but it’s better than doing nothing.

2 Likes

Anything is worth trying to save your fruit. Good luck! :blush:

I hope the weather man is wrong, as they usually are!

1 Like

26-27 is OK… the problem is if it get much lower than that. I am forecast for 30 at this point which should be nothing, especially given that only one tree is blooming so far.

1 Like

No blooms here yet, save pussy willows and crocuses, so I’m actually glad to have a bit of a cold snap (down to the mid 20’s) to keep things calm. We got an inch of fresh snow on the valley floor overnight. I have to admit to feeling a little discouraged because I love spring and I love not having to grab a scarf and gloves every time I go outside though.

1 Like

We are in full bloom here on most things. I’m hopeful Scott but not counting on anything at this point.

1 Like

All of my cherry bushes have bloomed, my peach trees too. I have Asian pears that are almost to bloom. It was supposed to be 38 here last night. I got up at 4:30 this morning and there was a light frost on elevated surfaces. It clouded up and warmed up just before day light. They are saying 30 degrees Sunday morning, my guess is I will be mid twenties

1 Like

12z NAM…this is a little more detailed…
This should be Saturday morning…obviously local conditions can vary.

1 Like

Showing a low of 3 for us Fri and Sat night. Nothing going on here yet as still snow in the woods although the fields are now bare and the snow in the woods is getting thin. Looks like more seasonal temps for the next week (for us) and that is good news as it will keep things from getting too far ahead for this time of the year. Will have to wait and see if we get a late cold snap that freezes the blooms as even on a good year that is always a good possibility. The saving grace is that not everything is in full bloom on any given day/days so always get some fruit to set even when we get frosty temps during bloom time !

2 Likes

I hope it stays that warm, shows me at 33 or 32, we are at a lower elevation than all of the ground to the north of us, just about 150 feet above the creek bottom

1 Like

Only station i can find in that area seem to be Joplin and Springfield…Joplin seems to run a hair warmer …30F vs 29F… if you can stay upper 20Fs you should be fine. I’m pretty sure i had 26F one time and my sweet cherries were in full bloom and while some got smoked, many still made it.

3 Likes

Yes that is correct, I live right between them, about 20 miles south of I-44. I may try to put a light and a tarp on my peach tree. I appreciate the tracking you do on this.

no problem… every year it seems like i’m getting out the blankets to protect something. I’m always interested in seeing how the models do against what really happens.

Another cold shot looks likely late next week dumping down into the plains again…temps around here look to stay around the low 40Fs (for highs)…so my trees are stuck for the time being . Might be early April before we get a bloom.

1 Like