Strange weather - Will it get our blooms and fruit?

I would add some to these numbers… Newest GFS just pushed precip back some here…so Monday could well be the warmest day up here. I’m torn…i love warm weather, but my God…the trees/plants won’t know what to think.

3 Likes

My ten day forecast in the Richmond, Virginia area has daytime highs averaging in the sixties with nighttime lows not dropping out of the forties. It will be a very interesting March; it would be mind blowing if we didn’t have a serious frost between March 1st and April 15 (our traditional last frost date).

1 Like

Just looking at the GFS for Richmond…i’d say mid 70Fs are almost a given early next week. I wouldn’t doubt if Sat/Sun/Mon/Tues are all 70F or better…

Looks like the first return to cold conditions happens around the 25th in these parts…maybe a snow storm… .

Our Redhaven is starting to blossom. To be fair though, it spent the Winter in the garage. Everything out in the yard is still asleep fortunately.

Derby

At least for Neosho, MO i don’t see any sub freezing temps for April 2016—lowest was 36F twice… March was also very mild (low of 30F) Are your local temps similar? The station there sits just over 1000ft.

1 Like

Probably just a little bit cooler, the very top of the water shed is just six miles up hill from here and on cool still nights the cold air sinks down here. I am a 100 feet above the creek bottom so that helps. I live south of monett , about 40 miles from neosho.

Buds are swelling a little here too Clark. Bloom will be very very early here. One good thing about the East Coast is that even though they had to suffer through the recent winter storm, it probably offered some protection against such an early bloom.

1 Like

I just picked Neosho beacause they have over 100 years of data for that station… I put that data into excel and limited it to march and less then 30F temps…don’t think i see a March that doesn’t have a 30F or below.

March 27, 1913 was 2F …

Yes , we get some swings in temperature here. I usually set out tomatoes the second week of April but I might have to cover them a time or two. It can really snow here in early March but after the 15th you are done with snow. We have only had like two inches of snow this winter, crazy.

I think i’m a little over 30 inches for the season. I know over by Milwaukee they’ve had maybe 20 inches if that. North of me they have done much better. My avg is just over 40 inches a year.

Models hint at a storm, and then colder air around the 25th…not much until then…just mild.

1 Like

I think our average is 17 inches. I think the Nankings are getting ready to cross the point of no return looking at the ten day

https://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/this-is-february-80f-in-denver-99-in-oklahoma-66-in-iceland-

Omaha currently 67F

Fri-71F
Sat-63F
Sun-67F
Mon-67F
Tues-65F
Weds-64F

1 Like

Hope you are right, Mark.

I still have about a foot of snow on the ground. Starting this Sat for the next 8 days, the day temp will be in the 40’s. Fortunately, most night temp is still in the 20’s with a few low 30’s.

Hopefully, nothing will wake up during the next 8-10 days.

3 Likes

I would imagine the maple syrup folks will be out?

I’ve heard that around here, they start tapping maple trees for syrup starting in late Feb to April. This year, they may do it a week or two earlier. I really don’t know.

I turned over a couple of garden beds this morning that I had mulched with leaves and I am seriously debating just betting on an early spring and hot summer and going ahead and planting veggies. It’s looking like even if we get a freeze I might be able to sneak some squash in first.

If the rain holds off and the soil dries, thinking of tilling in the cover crop sometime after a week in the 60s

I’m more than a little concerned since it’s 78 degree today. There is no holding back the trees with temperatures like this. I’ve been wrong before but it does not look good for the fruit crop.

3 Likes

My Kieffer and Hood pears have a few loose clusters flower buds. Sure hope we actually have an early spring.

2 Likes

Yikes! That is summer weather.

Sitting at 59F here… most of WI sitting in the 50fs/low 60Fs…Minneapolis is 62F… Des Moines is 74F and Omaha is 75F…

2 Likes