Strange weather - Will it get our blooms and fruit?

I was outside today for 3 hours pruning raspberries and grapes with no shirt for 3 hours. . . and I live north of Minneapolis! Off to play outdoor tennis for the first time this season, tomorrow going ice fishing. . . really. Strange weather

2 Likes

I saw guys ice fishing and 100 feet away, were guys in boats… Most of the back pockets still have plenty of ice…the main channel of the Mississippi was wide open today.

1 Like

They’d better be careful. A bunch of people have died falling through thin ice here in the northeast, just in the past few weeks.
Those back bays might not have as much ice as you think.

1 Like

We get through it just fine.

12 Likes

International Falls was -6F Weds morning…they were 58F late this afternoon. Must be insane living up there.

Hmm, ice fishing with an axe, that’s a new one to me…

I’m in NE OK visiting family, my mom’s hydrangea bushes have a few green sprouts on them, and one of her rose bushes has new leaves. She’s quite shocked they’re acting this way.

It’s supposed to be in the 70s for two or three days over the next week, so that’ll just make things worse.

Guess I’m still in cold weather mode, I didn’t pack any shorts, and just a few short sleeve shirts. Don’t think I’ll need the long johns here either!

There were a lot of people at the park running in shorts/tshirts yesterday, but i still think they were nuts. Showing 57F the next 5…

Always fun when Des Moines, IA is the same temp as Phoenix and a degree cooler then Key West–

1 Like

Makes you happy to live in Iowa!!

66F right now in Milwaukee…which is close to a monthly record…and is easily a daily record (they topped yesterdays record by a wide margin too)…

61F over here on the other side of the state. I was in shorts/t-shirt all afternoon…this white body soaking up every ray the sun could produce :sunny:

I’m close…Iowa border is about 25 minutes or less from my house. Nice state. I’d love to live in Des Moines. My brother in law is an Iowan and drives like one :slight_smile:

Looking like a strong signal for very heavy rain and maybe a mix to snow late Friday. GFS pumps out over an inch of liquid for here. Looks more typical of late Feb after that temp wise.

Lots of cold air on our side of the globe as we enter March… winter isn’t done for many of us.

Rob,.

Looks like Omaha is getting a storm this coming Friday. Well I better enjoy the 70s temperature for 3 or 4 more days. I hope all the fruit trees don’t get fooled by this warm trends.

Tony

Tony, are you seeing any bud swell? How many days of unusual warmth have you had? We’re due for five days of 50s and low 60s at the end of this week. Not awesome.

Record high yesterday In NE Indiana. 67degrees. My grandson was in shorts and a t-shirt.
Supposed to be above 60 all week. Not looking good for the orchard.

Omaha shows 2 days of 67F and one day 75F the past 3 days…

Next 3 look very warm…

I think us in the 60Fs will be fine. I think even apricots need a good week in the 70Fs before they begin blooming. I’m more worried on what March brings. I hate snow, but in some ways i hope we get a 6 inch snowfall to buy us some time because early blooming doesn’t work well around here.

Steven,

We have been on a warm trends 40s-50s for a week and a half and now 60s-70s for the next 3 to 4 days. The in-ground multi-grafted cots buds are swelling.

In-ground multi-grafted sweet cherry buds are swelling also.

Tony

1 Like

This is my last year at my current house. Due to husband’s surgery our move was pushed back a year. BUT in the interim, last summer was a total ‘bust’ when it came to my orchard, due to a late frost. I am currently seeing and feeling a repeat of last year and it feels horrible. I was in my orchard last night as I am planning on pruning today and tomorrow. The peach buds are swelling as are the cots. The apples are much slower, as are the pears and plums. Oh brother, my last summer and no fruit again? Sayonara! Doesn’t look good. Ugh.

4 Likes

March and April now look to be a bit cooler than normal - hopefully this will slow things down

1 Like

I think you are right…

The models show DC maybe pushing 80F this week with a few days in the 70Fs…

Milwaukee, WI was warmer then Phoenix and Atlanta yesterday…the extended shows warmth right through Thurs…

1 Like

The first Nanking bloom.