Strange weather - Will it get our blooms and fruit?

Today was a beach day for us…probably close to 80…beautiful weather…Doresett Golden already has a blossom…

Welp, all my peaches and plums are going to be in full bloom by the end of next week. Contender is still swelling, as is Belle of Georgia, but the Hale Haven and Reliance, and both my almonds started blooming, as are all three of my plums. Fortunately the apples are still asleep, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see them jump to life in the next week. My second year Dapple Dandy and Black Ruby grafts are leafed out and looking good.

I still haven’t seen a single bee in my yard, and it’s starting to concern me. I went out with a qtip and tried to move some pollen around, but I think a makeup brush would have worked much better. I might try that in the morning.

In Omaha today some green is showing on J. Plums flower buds.

And we are supposed to have 15-17 F in March. :grimacing:

1 Like

Thank you warmx, it was like spring herein RI this afternoon. However when the sun starts to set, spring instantly disappears. Same weather for a week which will ruin my peaches and cots. Wish I could swear outloud!

Yeah…this is just teasing us. 65F here today. A couple more and then reality comes back big time…

Looks like heavy rain/change to snow on Friday…

subject to change i hope …

Extended range shows a setup of winter vs summer–1st week of March…

It’s February 21 and much of my lawn is green and needs mowing. LOL Way to soon!

1 Like

Warmish here too. 70s last weekend and upcoming weekend w/60’s during the week.
Just curious.
Is anyone with threat of possible frost damage going to try a spray defroster or diluted ammonia to try to save some of their fruit?
Has anyone tried this?

1 Like

Tippy, how are you peaches? Mine looks too advanced for this time of the year. I am afraid I will not get peaches again this year.

Here in Arlington, VA, my peach looks like it is only a week from blooming, my blueberry buds are swollen and close to bloom and even my Carmine Jewel’s are showing a sliver of green opening in the swelling buds. Things look okay for the 10-day, but when I look at the extended forecast on Accuweather.com it shows march 9-18 with nights in the 20s. I don’t know how much faith to put in a forecast almost a month out, but that would be pretty bad if it happens.

I know that I live a little south of you Zendog (Richmond area), but I’ve actually seen some predictions that have March being free of frost for 2017, which would just be crazy. My apricots are about to bloom (they may be blooming right now), but the deluge of rain we’re about to get will probably kill that blossom party.

Galina,
The peaches look normal as of today. It is what coming starting from tomorrow is a concern. Will be in the 50’s and 60’s for four days in a row. Then, back down for a couple of days and up later next week again in the 50’s again.

Confuse the heck out of the trees and me. Yes, I am worried that we may have our fruit production wiped out again this year. Too early to be this warm these many days. Bummer!!!

Its looking worse than last year at this point here in Maryland… things are a bit ahead of last year now. I lost nearly all my cots last year, looks like I could lose them again and maybe more. This is after 12+ years of success in a row. Its in the 70’s on Friday.

Scott,
If the forecast is accurate or close to, It would be real bad. Usually, we may have a day or two of 50’s popping up here and there in Feb or March. This time, too many warme days in a row.

Euro weeklies keep the warmth right through late March out east.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/anderson/weekly-long-range-outlook-through-march/70000917

I suppose at some point we could tap that cold air in Canada and pull it south…but who knows. We had a killing freeze in these parts last mid May…but even snow happens here every couple Mays.

And that Canadian cold air is not cold enough for us up here. I want to drain some down from the Yukon. We are having way too warm a Feb. for me. It has been above zero for a week and most of the snow has already gone. When the last spring frost is still far away (at the end of May) I get jittery with the prospect of an early spring.

Newest model run wants to paint the area in heavy snow. I was hoping it would shift to Minneapolis…not looking good at this model run time… Extended looks cold, wet and yucky. The days of 60Fs (and probably 50Fs) are over for awhile.

70s yesterday and today. 36 degrees on Friday and a snow storm. Go figure.

Tony

1 Like

Are you near bloom? Anything open?

The extended is not looking good. The models wants to bring even more snow next week and then cold… So much of that depends on if we get snowcover and how much. I can easily go subzero in early March with snowcover and cold enough air.

The cots almost open. Hopefully, the snowy and cold weather on Friday will hold them off.

Tony