Strange weather - Will it get our blooms and fruit?

Here is a shot of my cherry bushes as snow was falling Sunday morning.

Here comes the torch again…get ready this time everything will push.

3 Likes

Have to go take a look at March 2012 and see when my stuff bloomed…i think it was around the 20th of March here…

Beautiful time to go take an Alaskan cruise.

1 Like

Thats the year I started my orchard, did you get fruit that year? Did you record the last frost?

I know i got apricots, because this picture was from June 14th, 2012

That tree was in the ground too. I’ll have to dig for my cot bloom pictures, but March 18th rings a bell…

Looking through March, April and May…these were the lows for just April earliest to latest:
31, 32, 29, 26, 29, 30… all of those were early in the month…after that it turned mild and the rest of April, May i didn’t have anything to worry about.

So my take away…stay above 25…probably some bloom thinning, but still have fruit.

4 Likes

Yes 2012 was the earliest spring I can remember. Like I said, I had just started putting in fruit trees and berries that spring but I remember how advanced our veggie garden was in May, it was unreal. Since then last year was the earliest spring we’ve had. Looking at my log from last year it was 70 on the 7th and 11th of March and I had all my raised beds planted with cold weather veggies by the 11th. We are clearly well behind that this year, my raised bed/hoop house is not even fully thawed yet. Even with the early warm up last year, my peach, nectarine and plum did not begin to bloom last year until April 17th and 18th. Hopefully things will be even later this year. Of course, if I get a killing freeze on May 15th again I’m screwed no matter what :angry:.

We had a little warm weather this week but not enough to melt all the snow we have on the ground and tomorrow we are supposed to get a bunch more snow and then temps in the single digits. So no worries here so far . Just wanted to bring this thread back up as I see all the severe weather some people are getting with hail and naders ! Hope no one on here got caught up in these ongoing storms .

2 Likes

We expect 70F today again with severe thunderstorm and possibility of tornado. (And it is Massachusetts!). If this is not enough, starting Friday they expect 8-10F at night for 2 days, and 20-28F at night for next week or so… I think I need to concentrate on my vegetables… It is too depressing.

1 Like

We are going through something similar in Virginia. I think the nighttime lows will go to 24 degrees. Good bye apricot blossoms!

Heavy snow here all morning…the commute was annoying…they didn’t cancel school. Looks like its about done.

Sun/Mon and maybe Tues i have a chance of at least 1 60F day…but also a chance of more rain. Much colder after that. I heavily doubt any early bloom up here at this point. The 6z GFS was cold, the 12z gfs that is just out looks even colder through mid month. Subject to change, but no 2012 in the works up here.

Feb was the #5 warmest on record here in La Crosse.

Rob,

The snow finally thawed with the 45 degree today and tomorrow then after that it is in the 60’s and some 70’s. Hopefully, no more flutuation.

Tony

Yeah…it was upper 40Fs here yesterday, but that didn’t last. It’s a winter wonderland out there right now. We should lose this snow quickly—i hope.

Extended has some very cold shots into the south, but it so hard to really take anything 10+ days out seriously…

1 Like

Snowing sideways here all day. Supposed to get around a foot by midnight tonight. Every thing is still fully dormant here and no sign that it will get warm enough any time soon to change that .

1 Like

What you got as snow we got as rain. They Say we’ll get a couple inches tomorrow, but it’ll be gone the next day.

Looking forward to April, seeing quite a few chances for fruit-killing cold

Strange weather indeed. I think the rain last few days (more so than warm weather) made the peach tree advance. Is that possible? This picture is as of 5 min ago. Temps going down to 17 degrees next week. Will these be ok? I have to find a time to spray copper.

1 Like

I would imagine so if they don’t advance much more. I think as others have said…if they are closed up they are pretty resistant against cold. Obviously single digits and below i’d probably say a prayer.

2 Likes

NWS in Chicago reports no measurable snow on the ground for the months of Jan and Feb - a 146 year record

2 Likes

Things are in bloom here near KC Missouri. Peaches plums and apricots are all blooming at once, so I’m assuming no fruit again this year.

2 Likes

I hope I’m fairly safe for the current forecast period. I brought these plum and peach branches in 12 days ago, and they have been sitting in my kitchen in the window. Today the first plum flower bloomed. Figuring my kitchen window is about, on average 67 degrees, they have accumulated about 300 growing degree days (base 42) and 200 GDD(base 50).

If I look at the forecast out until 3/11, we are forecast to get about 110 GDD42 and 35 GDD50.

The plums outside are showing a little bit of swell, but not too much, with nothing on the peaches.

I’m crossing my fingers, because it also looks like my Redhaven survived -15.4 F in December without much damage to the buds on the branches in this pot.

1 Like

No blooms yet in RI, (southern) but the winds were fierce today almost like the Mistral. And the temperatures dropped from 50 degrees F this am. to 38 degrees by 4pm. We might have snow? Ugh!

1 Like