Strange weather - Will it get our blooms and fruit?

Almost all freezes here and when I lived in Amarillo are like that. I’ve just come to expect it. Maybe part is unavoidable. I now look at Amarillo weather and their forcast to give me a little warning. It usually hits there a day earlier than here.

2 Likes

Michigan here also. My neighborhood is covered in broken branches. And the wind felled some DECIDUOUS trees! how is that possible? no leaves and still they could not take the wind. we all went to recover our stuff today. A tarp was at one neighbor, and the lawn chairs at another.

1 Like

Just came out…yeehaw~! Obviously subject to huge changes. We call these “clown” maps because many times it’s a joke…but something to keep in mind. Lots of cold air+moisture.

3 Likes

My weather forecast is changing too - and in a bad way! Weather.com is normally ahead of my local TV weathermen which are always late with their forecast. I also focus on predictions made by WXRISK on their Facebook page. I can not afford to buy their service, but the info on their Facebook page for my part of the country is normally right on target.

Got a couple of 24 and a 21 degree lows predicted for next week. Some peaches are about finished blooming but some are just starting. Blueberries are in full bloom. Most apples are about about to hit pink.

It would work better if the cold weather just toasted all my fruit crops. No apples, no peaches, no blueberries and no blackberries. We could just shut down the farm and take a 3 month vacation!

1 Like

What weather is this? My apples in zone 9B are still blissfully asleep!

Always find the positive. Instead of worrying about pests, worry about your sun tan :sunny:

1 Like

No kidding, we are looking at five days of below freezing temps and a few days ago it was one day at 30. I bet I will be in the teens one night at least

1 Like

Yikes, is that showing 20+" for the Philly area next Tue? Plus, it’s looking like about 4" for us in NE KY. I’m sitting in the A/C here in Tulsa (75 and T storms), and have that to look forward to when we get home? Talk about a shock to the system…

Since all my new trees won’t be producing for a couple years at the earliest, I don’t have a dog in this hunt this year. But, I guess this is just another thing I’ll get to worry about in the coming years. In years past I was blissfully ignorant of weather like this, guess that’ll change.

I can only imagine the angst this is creating for y’all, especially those on here who do this as a business. As a certain prez said, “Ah feel yar payhn”…

Yup…but i wouldn’t bet the farm quite yet on snow totals. Should be fun to watch this unfold (the snow)…/i think the cold is a given…just how cold… this arctic airmass has ugly written all over it.

On rapidly growing weeds, Round up will be rainfast in an hour

1 Like

I was thinking about ways to help with the problems going on.
One idea is to have a thin, flexible,ribbed,plastic hose about 1/2 to 1 inch in diameter,so it can’t kink easily and is perforated.This can be snaked and coiled around limbs and branches.The lengths could be 10-20 feet and could be coupled together,when needed.
At one end,a heater blower unit is attached,something like an industrial strength hair dryer,which will push hot air through the tubing.A person could also add a thermostat or timer.
This probably won’t be very effective with a strong wind blowing,but could be used in conjunction with some type of covering for better containment of heat. Brady

2 Likes

17F this night and no wind. I protected separate branches with cover and Christmas lights. It may help but we have 5 more freezing nights ahead, so no much hope for stone fruits. If any variety survives this event it will be really hardy.

I don’t even think I own any incandescent bulbs any more! I was going to put the work light on the ground on a stepping stone to protect it a little, not right near a tree. I will try it out during the day today most likely and see how hot it gets at the branches.

14F here with no snow cover…pretty impressive for the time of year. North wind blowing pretty good makes it feel a lot worse.

does that map show 2 feet for NYC? WU is predicting 8-12" for Tues

Yes…but its still questionable this far out. Models shift constantly…

The newest one is here…

Bottomed out at 3F at my place this morning, will barely break 20 for a high, then back down to single digits again tonight. . .

I checked a few of the worse looking buds on the Jefferson plum shown above by squishing them and they had brown inside. This morning, however, I noticed two blooms starting to pop open from the ones that looked a little better. That’s encouraging since they had just seen about 15 degrees the night before I cut them off, but of course now they will face 4 or 5 days of cold weather including lows maybe down to 11. I’m cautiously optimistic about my peaches, though, because they don’t really seem that far along. They are maybe at green calyx, but I don’t think any farther and maybe not even that far.

Lows this morning…

Currently 20F/-9F here… -9F being the dew point. Very dry air out there.