Strange weather - Will it get our blooms and fruit?

I don’t have to worry about snow and did not have any extreme winds this winter so I can’t help you much on your question. The frame is strong, I don’t think it will break from wind and it has a sharp roof angle that probably won’t hold much snow. Anchoring it down would be your biggest concern. It comes with tent stakes for each corner and also string and stakes that attach to loops on the outside at the top of door level. These should keep it from flying away if you have solid ground for the stakes to drive into.

I like it because I can quickly set it up and set it over the tree.

yes, I like it too… But don’t think I will be able to use it. I set up regular shaped greenhouse on the deck in April-May and I have to tie it down with three ropes across the roof, otherwise it tries to fly away :slight_smile:

Went down to the Winlo Pine Plantation, my property on the Ogeechee river to look at the wild huckleberry and blackberry populations. The few huckleberries that were on the bushes down there were wiped out as well. At least my spraying water on the bushes did not kill berries that otherwise would have survived. But my bushes at the house do look a little worse than the wild ones. Thankfully the wild blackberry bushes look fine. My guess is that there will be no blueberries or huckleberries in Bulloch County GA this year. Had my Asian and Scarlet pear been mature enough to bare fruit, they would have escaped this winter. This cold snap demonstrates the usefulness of having some later blooming pear varieties. God bless.

Marcus

1 Like

Talk about strange weather for us today, started out cold, around 32 this morning. First we had some flurries, and then some sleet about noon. Then, it warmed up enough to turn into all rain, for the rest of the day. No big deal, until about supper time, we thought we heard distant thunder. Sure enough, it was followed by visible lightning, and then we had a bit of pea-sized hail! That only lasted a few minutes, followed by the power blinking on and off. It is now pretty much done with the rain, so really foggy now. Quite the gamut today, and the temps never got above 40.

1 Like

Can we get a capture/release agreement going ? Or maybe in MN you’ve got a few coyote/wolf hybrids. I want a few of those eastern wolf/coyote hybrids in my neighborhood to tackle the deer population. Heck I’d even spring for a wolf pack or two.

3 Likes

Just a report from the mid-Hudson valley/NY Berkshires/Taconics in Zone 5b: everything still utterly dormant, no sign of awakening at all. Temps have been so brutal that even the warm spells have not been warm enough to cause a scare. No action on any apricots or pluots, or even the pluerry I planted on a lark.

Got 4 feet of snow in parts of our yard, 2.5 feet everywhere else, with high temps forecast no higher than 45º for the next 10 days (and a projected 2º on Thursday). Of course there’s plenty of time for everything to be destroyed like last year, but so far, none of the 80º followed by 10º, and we’re already in the 2nd half of March. Maybe this part of NY catches a break this year?

3 Likes

While this is getting off topic in many parts of the country eliminating some deer fawns is a good thing especially from a gardening or farming perspective. In many parts of the country there are way too many deer right now. That’s not just bad for gardening; it’s bad for the deer population because it sets the deer up for a epidemic of wasting disease. I get that coyotes are a nuisance and a threat to pets, but having some big predators around is as useful to the grand scheme of things as having hawks around. That’s why God made big predators or at least arranged for them to evolve if you prefer to put it that way. In my humble opinion there are way too many coyotes and deer in the world to warrant a capture and release program for either. When there are too many in a given area for the ecological health of the area, they should simply be killed. Both are over populated in many places, and both have expanded their natural range since the arrival of the white man. With the absence of cougars wolves and the like, humans need to actively manage both populations in my opinion. God bless.

Marcus

7 Likes

An update about my plum tree:
15 days ago, my plum tree are in green cluster stage when weather forecast to have low of 12F. According to the link @warmwxrules provided, plum at this stage has 90% bud kill rate for 30 min exposure at 17 F.
Well, we had many hours of temp below 17 F since then, I think I had almost 100% kill in plum. The buds are so dry that crumbled between my fingers.
Here are some pictures
Plum 15 days ago

Plum Today

My peache seem to be ok

Not sure about this pear:

2 Likes

Your plum and pear buds look dead. This is sad.
It looks like we were a tiny bit more lucky. 17 F one night and then a range of 20-25 F next days.
All A. Plums look good surprisingly. Even Satsuma and Flavor King. This is the picture from today.

Apricots have many brown buds and most flowers have brown pistils in them. But I feel that there still be a hope for the later developing flowers. Brookcot have no freeze damage. Later flowering varieties also look not so bad. Here is the picture of Brookcot.

4 Likes

You must be a deer hunter :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I was thinking the same thing today while checking out my pear trees. Not totally sure yet but my pears that had bloomed or in the process of blooming look pretty good (Orient, Kieffer, Hood). My Climax blueberries look pretty bad today but most of the others look like a small crop might survive. My pomegranate looks so bad I just hope they survive.

2 Likes

It sounds like your pomegranates are in about the same condition as my figs. They really took a beating!

1 Like

Nothing wrong with that venison is yummy! :grin:

He lives in MN and the deer #s there are falling fast.

3 Likes

Oh gosh. I agree with Antmary, plum and pear buds look like they aren’t going to make it, I’m so sorry. Just so frustrating.

Yes, you lost them. That sucks.

That’s cool.

I’m somewhere between you guys. I was just barely at green cluster stage. The buds turned brown, but are now greening up 2 days later. Some probably damaged, but not all. Now if we can get through the rest of the year, I will have fruit on all trees.

1 Like

Yep. Pretty much obsessed with deer and deer habitat. Less obsessed with killing them as I get older and as they get less numerous.

1 Like

Come to Wisconsin. Even after gun hunting…late season bowhunting my brothers were seeing 30-50 deer every night in the stand. This is in an area that has lots of little chunks (40-120 acre pieces) and is heavily hunted. These guys are insane hunters…like that is all they think about. They are your typical big buck hunters (counting points, passing everything that isn’t a monster/trail camera every 20 feet/etc)

Another guy they hunt with has his cameras all piggyback each other and get sent to a computer that has an internet connection at his cabin…he can watch his deer from his office in Minneapolis.

Now it’s turkey hunting (which is very late this year—6th season is crazy.like Memorial Day…)

57F today…not bad. Omaha shows 75F this afternoon…nice day to go to the zoo.

2 Likes

I lived in south central WI for 45 years. Plenty of areas in WI do indeed have lots of deer, but even there the herd has been reduced in some areas. Northern WI deer hunting is nothing like it was 15+ years ago.

True… N Wisconsin just doesn’t have the food source of the corn/soybean fields of central/southern WI. My family has land south of Eau Claire. Lots of deer still in those counties. Another area that has a healthy population of deer is southeast MN where i know a lot of guys that have land/hunt. Some monster deer over there in the bluffs. There is a sand mine that owns 1000’s of acres (i assume/./seems like they were buying everything a few years back) and that property is just stocked full of deer. Drive through there in winter and its like a zoo.

SE MN is managed differently by the MN DNR than the entire rest of the state. That may change now that CWD has been found in wild deer there.

Northern WI has more food source now than it did 15+ years ago. The difference is that the WI DNR allowed far too many antlerless deer to be taken for far too many years. Throw in a couple bad winters and the herd is half of what it used to be. Great news for farmers and orchardists. Not so great for deer hunters and the businesses that used to benefit from the dollars they spent.