Strange weather - Will it get our blooms and fruit?

It should be pointed out that killing a raptor is a federal offense in the US unless you are Native American doing it for ceremonial purposed. God bless.

.[quote=“coolmantoole, post:1021, topic:3963, full:true”]
It should be pointed out that killing a raptor is a federal offense in the US unless you are Native American doing it for ceremonial purposed. God bless.
[/quote]
Thats what the whole conversation has been about. But thanks

I honestly had no idea that was a real method. It just sort of occurred to me when I was looking at those perches that if one of those steel traps were sitting there when a bird landed that it would be a good way to capture/kill it! But again, that’s the first I ever thought of it, I think it would be a cruel thing to do, and I wouldn’t do it. But thanks for clarifying.

Oh yea…its all good. And you are right…the hole in horn buck really is more famous than any hunted buck, so point well taken! Unfortunately, I doubt I’ll ever see anything remotely close to any of these monsters. But having one shot so close by was really exciting.

BTW, I don’t think TN has any documented cases of Chronic Wasting Disease (could be wrong) but our wildlife folks are certainly taking steps to try and prevent it getting here. They found it eastern Arkansas so obviously its going to be almost impossible from keeping it out of TN, just a few miles away. From photos I’ve seen, CWD is a very scary and sad thing.

Oh i know what ya mean! I’ll never see anythint like that either. My good friend and i found a matched set of a '220 and my cousin found a dead '330 but it was shed hunting at a local high fence place, still fun though.

2 Likes

Watch out Kevin! I just saw the black helicopters fly overhead and it looked like they were heading north towards your place :grin:. Kidding aside, I smile when I see a hawk in my yard, especially when I know the tree rats are around. Of course, I understand the frustration if they’re taking your chickens.

2 Likes

One of the little ones?

I read a news thing about a guy from some southern state where they don’t have CWD who was arrested for taking a deer in IL, where we do, and transporting it to his home state - apparently they saw the license plate and tracked him from IL

That’s taking it seriously!

Right! :grinning:

I will say if i’m picking a deer to eat…that might be a little gamey… lot of jerky meat there.

My brother shot a moose once and said the meat tasted like mud. I never tried it…i think it was turned into jerky. I’ve had elk and mule deer… i still prefer beef.

2 Likes

HOLY COW!!! Are you kidding me? Both those are amazing, but that one being held (is that you or your cousin?) blows my mind. Is that a white tail? WHen you said you were shed hunting at a high fence place, was that because antlers often fall off when they jump a high fence? I’ve found sheds near fences before and figured that is why but didn’t really know.

BTW…I get hungry everytime I see your username and caption. Never seen anything with bacon I didn’t like!

Don’t laugh too much…where I live we really do have a lot of low flying helicopters. Of course, they are more interested in finding a particular cash crop than someone trying to kill a raptor! ha.

High fence means they are raised in an enclosed area, this being about 640 acres/sq mile. People pay big money to shoot them but its not hunting if you ask me. :grinning:

My last name is Bacon & I love apple trees, it fits. :pig::green_apple::bacon::apple:

4 Likes

ahhhh. Ok. We have some of those hunting preserves here. One advertises in wall street journal for “Hunt dangerous Wild Boar in Mountains of TN”. ha. As if boar are like lions or something. They bring in these rich guys who think they are on some big adventure. I’ve heard the preserve releases boar from pens near the hunters, slap them on the butt to run them past the urban hunters, and if they hit it they think they’ve risked their life to get a trophy boar. hahaha please. So I get what you are talking about now.

Like I said…never met Bacon I didn’t like! ha

2 Likes

This topic has completely gotten off track in my opinion. A silver lining in my orchard is that the plum trees are blooming, and since the freeze killed most of the other flowers in my area the bees are concentrating their attention on them. I just might get a decent plum crop for once to compensate for the lack of blueberry, huckleberry and pear crop. God bless.

Marcus

3 Likes

Here in 7A in northern Virginia it looks like we’re headed back to the mid-20s later this week. Hopefully that will be the last time and some of the pear and apple blooms will be okay. My peach looks pretty sad, but a few of the later blooms might pull through.

Extended looks mild.

@coolmantoole, I think you’ve mentioned you’re in south Georgia so I’m assuming these are not Japanese plums but native plums, is that right?

My mature plum trees are as follow: Robusto which is a Chickasaw X Japanese hybrid that looks and tastes more chickasaw than Asian. It’s a big plum that makes great jam for use with meats and other savory foods. I have an improved Chickasaw type variety which has been passed down through my family. The fruit are ping pong balls sized and ripen late June or early July. The plums are sweeter and softer than Robusto which is pretty soft itself when fully ripe. The third mature plume tree is a Mariana which started out as root stock for Jefferson which did not take the disease pressure here. Mariana is the earliest of my plums and makes wonderful little cherry plums with a blood red flesh. It’s the best plum in my home orchard for fresh eating in my opinion.

I have two more immature improve Chickasaw type plumes in my orchard. One is McKibben which I got from Larry Stephenson. The other is Excelsior which is an heirloom variety discovered in the vicinity of Excelsior Georgia at around the turn of the 20th Century.

Varieties that I’ve tried that did not stand up to our disease pressure are: Byron Gold, Black Ruby, Ruby Queen, AU Producer, AU Roadside, Methly, Improved Methly, Green Gage, Jeffersn, Golden Gage, Stanley, Spring Satin and Santa Rosa. God bless.

Marcus

By the way, I have a thread on this website discussing the various improved Chickasaw plum varieties as the best choice for deep south plums. We are trying to identify as many good strains and varieties as possible, please contribute if anyone has any they would like to talk about. I’m helping the Georgia Southern University botanical garden gather a collection of these varieties for their heirloom fruit tree exhibit that they want to install. We are especially interested in finding varieties that have been passed down through families and may not be available commercially anywhere. God bless.

Marcus

After Wednesday

I feel you Zendog. The benefit of being a little south of NOVA is that we always seem to be a few degrees warmer at night than your neck of the woods. It looks as if tomorrow night will drop to 26 degrees and Thursday will be around 30 degrees. In comparison, DC is supposed to drop to 22 degrees tomorrow night.

Hopefully my pear blossoms and euro plums will be spared.

Hey Bob. I was watching the local news out of Huntington, WV yesterday, and the weather guy said that he had talked to a orchard owner in S Ohio, and was told that it looked like their peach and nectarines got bit again this year. This is the fourth year out of five of no peaches for them.

How did your peaches (and nects, if you have them) fare with this funky weather? Think you’ll get any fruit off those trees this year?