Strange weather - Will it get our blooms and fruit?

Knock on wood so far. I hope you didn’t just jinx me. :grinning:

So far peaches, cherries,plums, pears, and nectarines still holding tight. Just sprayed tonight and all looked good for now.

Thanks for asking.

1 Like

We have one bad night coming up tonight, low is 23F for me. Looking at the orchard tonight it is mainly a few early blooming nectarines I may lose, most other things are going to be OK. During a survey last weekend I noticed my fuzzy kiwis may also have taken a hit, the buds are barely swelled but they did not look very happy when I took some apart. I have had problems before with them leafing out too early and I don’t know what the bud hardiness is at different stages for them.

I am really hoping it finally decides to warm up after tonight and there are no more wipe-outs.

1 Like

A few Nankings made it,

6 Likes

Tonight we will go down to 13F!!! on March 22. ( in fact, it will be 3/23 because the lowest temp will be around 5am tomorrow morning).

I hope this is the last freezing cold weather for us, too.

1 Like

Sorry Bob! I know it’s supposed to be in the mid 20s here tonight, so hope y’all can get thru this freeze alright. But, it’s not supposed to get below freezing for at least a week.

I was curious have y’all has enough dry weather to plow up your garden plots? I was away for three weeks and it was really warm here, and I’ve noticed a lot of folks in this area have plowed their fields. It’s been too wet since I got back to do any plowing. But, it is still mid-March, so I don’t think I’m too late.

I’m in the SE area of Ohio and weather is a bit different than the southern area. Buds are just now starting to swell and think about opening. Won’t get into the garden until very late April early May. Plums normally open first of April.

Hi Mam! We’re supposed to get 16 degrees F tonight. But we have had hideous cold wind today and with very large gusts. During the day it was 41F and very sunny, if we didn’t have wind it would have been in the 50’s! So if the wind calms down it might not be so bad. I know I’m only fooling myself, but yesterday in my orchard it was so warm and the swollen buds looked like through a bag of popcorn seeds on my trees! Every apricot and peach bud was swollen and as it turns out healthy. Really do not want to see disaster two years in a row! This ‘hobby’ which I love has really had its ups and downs! Its more like playing golf! Mrs.G

2 Likes

Same report from Worcester - terrible wind gusts and 12° tonight (real feel -4°!). Tomorrow 36/24. After that it is warming up, but become very wet. Spraying seems to be impossible…

I don’t know when I should spray. Days after days of very cold weather has made me so frustrated.

Mrsg, Mamuang,

This also will be the last night of 31 degrees for me. Tomorrow​ will be 68 degrees. I think my fruit trees are safe for this season. I hope the best for both of you. Mrsg, I was able to graft your French Prune/plum last Spring. They took.

Tony

3 Likes

I had a freeze in mid May last year…but yeah…hopefully you are safe and sound. The weather around here looks like turds for the next couple weeks. I highly doubt anything blooms between now and April 10th…maybe some swelling… I found ice in the ground in one spot yesterday.

Yayyyyyyy!

1 Like

My asian plums bloomed April 17th last year, with the way the weather has been and looks to continue to be for the foreseeable future I don’t think I’ll see any bloom this year until the first week of May

Well when I put my vegetables into the high tunnel with my plums, I saw some good sized little fruitlings in there. I will probably still need to do a little thinning this year, so I am calling success at least on freeze protection. The peaches around the yard seem pretty mixed. I will definitely get some fruit, at least, some fruit is still on the tree. I will be bagging every fruit this year, no doubt. I need everything to have maximum odds. We got to 30 last night, but I don’t see anything lower than 40 in the forecast. I am going to take the plastic down and leave the poles up a couple weeks just in case.

I should have an interesting picture in a week or so. I received some peach scion back in February and I stuck it on three different trees, and I see green leaves through the parafilm on all three. Once it’s pushed through and appears to have a little vigor, I will send pictures of my winter cleft grafting peaches.

1 Like

I sliced couple buds today to see what is inside. Peach looks green, but apricot is dry and brown inside. Looks like they died time ago, but they never even swelled… I guess the roller coaster weather affects even dormant buds…

How did east coasters do last night? I got down to 22.5F, the forecast was 23F so it pretty much hit it exactly (again). I use the NWS pointcast and use a location a bit north of me on the map which I have found matches me really well.

I probably should have done some flaming this morning, but when I got up at 6 to check it was 25F so I thought it was OK. But, it did a last-minute dip right before sunrise, probably the air settling.

Anyway a few more things lost but should not be too much more. Hope this is it!

1 Like

Things were slightly milder in the Richmond, Virginia area. My nighttime low was 26 degrees, which was spot on for the forecast (26-27 degrees depending on the service). That means what is left of my blossoms should be fine unless we get a deep freeze in April, which could always happen.

I got 21 last night but it was a hard 21. Frost seemed pretty brutal and I suspect that maybe it did my peach and nectarines in.

Game over freeze?

Ugh… that stinks. We haven’t even begun to move here, but we have until mid May to worry about frost/freezes.

Saranac Lake, NY was -20F

http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KSLK.html

Does anything grow up there?