Strange weather - Will it get our blooms and fruit?

Yes, AJ, I hear you… every weekend is miserable. I took yesterday and today off to have some work done…While weather cooperating.

Galina,

I should have done that I have two pre-arranged meetings today. Can’t take advantage of the only nice-weather day today :frowning:

I had to get my dormant peach spray in between rains this last weekend. At least I got it in - now the blossoms are nearly all out.

For once it looks like a cold patch is missing us, its cool but still well above freezing here for the foreseeable future.

Right around 40F here…thick heavy clouds…it was drizzling this morning. Pattern lets up for Sat—maybe 60F and some sun…Sunday rain…Mon/Tues maybe ok…late Tues onward rain… Cold shot comes down after the low moves by a week from now…probably something to keep an eye on

Can you believe another 6 inches of snow tomorrow night? I was rushing to build foundation for my future persimmon enclosure yesterday and today having in mind finally to plant it when I finish… Now I want to wait until the snow will melt…
But I sprayed my peach yesterday! At least something is done.

Better off being in London…they were 69F and sunny today…forecast looks amazingly nice…with mostly low 60Fs for the foreseeable future…

Sounds like Seattle.Brady

What is bizarre to me is that London has a hardiness zone of 8.

True that…except they sit about 270 miles further north…so less winter sun and longer summer days.

Next Friday across WI looks horrible on the Euro this afternoon…probably daytime highs in the 20Fs/30fs…maybe some snow. Yum!

1 Like

Around freezing for our lows, here

Also tonite, just as my first fruit tree is about to pop

But that shouldn’t pose a real problem

We’re squeeking through freezing, temp tonight is supposed to hold at 36F. We have rain, a little wind, not much, but no snow or ice! If we get through tonight, we’ll be fine with buds for spring! I really felt badly for the commercial growers here last year. It was amazing to see orchards buying apples and other ‘supermarket’ fruit to try and keep customers. Hopefully this summer will be great!

1 Like

Only thing showing green up here is the lilacs. I noticed buds swelling on the cots, but still pretty tight so should be ok for another 7-10 days… i guess the positive to all of this is that no early bloom up here.

Yes Boone and Crockett does count deer found dead. The number one deer in b&c was and I believe still is the “Missouri Monarch” buck found dead near st. Louis.

1 Like

Next Friday here in central MN looks to be in the 50s according to NWS, Accuweather, and Wunderground. Is that due to following a different weather model or what?

I stand corrected. I certainly knew that they had records for deer found dead (like the MO Monarch) but most hunters I know just sort of mention road-kill dear but the serious, fireside conversations at camp are always about the largest ones taken by hunters and not cars (or trains or high fences, etc) I thought B & C made a distinction in their listing as well. Live and learn. Thanks for correcting me.

We lost most of our wheat. This is what freeze damage looks like, don’t know why next to the road is still green, maybe traffic kept the cold air from settling.

1 Like

We need a sad face icon…

6 Likes

We do!

No its not the same as a deer that someone harvested in my opinion either, much more prestigious if you took the deer. it is still an impressive animal to grow all that antler, weather someone killed it or not. And know you defenetly can’t count pen raised deer. I raised deer for 12 years, and no its not anywhere near the same thing as wild deer. Controlled breeding can do unbelievable things. If my deer didn’t score over 200 at 2 years of age I didn’t consider them to be much. By the time I sold out the top guys were getting 250 plus inch as yearlings , so no not fair to compare to wild deer

1 Like