Strange weather - Will it get our blooms and fruit?

While I received some freeze damage on early flower clusters, many survived and I should get a decent crop from my blueberries.

5 Likes

That is sad Tiger. :disappointed: I hope your family had crop insurance, but even then I know the crop insurance doesn’t pay near what the loss is.

Is the wheat developed enough so you can use it for hay at least? Up here people would sometimes bale up oats to make oat hay. I’ve heard it makes a pretty good hay.

Looks like after this week…a real taste of late spring weather is on tap for this weekend/early next week…if the models hold… first shot at 70Fs in the works up here.

Had a nice day Sunday so i decided to transplant my first tree ever out of my nursery. The G30 put on good roots and really held on when i was trying to remove it! :grinning:

This is a Zestar! to replace a tree at my parents house. Used watersorb in the bucket, what a trick that is, i put barely a dixie cup in a 1/4 bucket of water and it filled the bucket a 1/3 of the way up with water filled jellys balls. They stick to the roots well.

6 Likes

I’ve seen three Reliance peaches, 2 Hale Haven, and maybe a dozen or so Georgia Belle. Nothing set for my almond or apricot. All of it was hand pollinated between all the trees via paint brush since I didn’t see any bees until bloom was almost over. However, I have at least a few cherries on all three of my tiny scraggly little cherry trees, so I may at least get a tasting if I can bag the fruit or net the trees. The plums all have a decent set for how small my trees are. I’m keeping them as sort of hedgerow at about 7 feet. I don’t have long enough or decent enough fruit notes to predict when these plums will start ripening, but it seems like it’ll have to be very early, maybe even mid May. I’m going to go buy cheap baggies to bag some of them today.

9 Likes

This weekend will be our first taste of “summer” around here…mid 70Fs tomorrow and maybe again on Sunday…severe weather a potential. Next week back to cooler conditions. I think the apricots may bloom at any time. They are moving very quickly now.

1 Like

Mine opened today, with the sun coming out

I like it when they’re open at the same time as the aprium, for some x-pollination

If only the BEES would get on the job!

1 Like

It was supposed to get down to 35 last night and I woke up to 27 and frost. The unfortunate part is my pears are in bloom. 6 weeks ago when I lost all my plums, apricots, and pluots I thought to myself at least I might still get apples and pears. After last night maybe not. My peaches and nects just finished bloom and are at petal fall. I haven’t had a chance to see if I got much fruit set but that could be affected too. I may end up with nothing but blueberries this year.

Sorry to hear that Dave, I feel your pain. Got to 22 here last night but I think everything was early enough along to escape serious damage. I still need 5 more weeks of good luck though.

The same thing happened to me but last year. It is a horrible feeling. So sorry.

77F today…by far the warmest day of the year. Very windy though. Lots of white showing on the cot blooms.

Bees finally out and all over the cots

Take pictures please! :slight_smile:

The bees were right on time to make it to my (probably female sterile) plum flowers. Mostly dark colored bees (mason bees)? I did not see any honeybees, but did spot one bumble bee out and about.

Moniqui

Nectacot

Gurney’s nectacot is loaded and i butchered the tree about a month ago to thin it out.

These are both south facing trees…they are ahead of my other trees with Puget Gold/Tomcot…that are north facing. Which are at popcorn.

2 Likes

Clark here is some Clara Frijis blossoms for you! It is a young trees but I might let it set a pear or two if the blossoms get fertilized.

2 Likes

The abnormally hot, windy weather yesterday has most of my aprium blossoms on the ground now. Soon I’ll see if I’ll have fruit potential

Puget Gold opened this morning… its drizzling and 47.6F… yum!

A slow warm up should occur later in the week. Back into the 60Fs.

I’ve yet to see any bees other then a couple of wasps.

1 Like

Full bloomed here in Omaha. Pollinators were out in good numbers. They visited the F. King, F. Supreme, cots, Beauty plum, Pluerry, Honey berries, and Asian pears. Hopefully, no more hard frost.

Tony

What a relief. I spent most of the day in the orchard yesterday with a friend from Cambodia. She has become very interested in growing fruit and now has four trees of her own. We discussed pruning and spraying. When we came to the ‘seedling’ peach in the orchard, and I described it as sour, tart with an occasional sweet bit, she became very excited and said ‘that is how we like fruit in Cambodia’. She also mentioned they put salt on the peaches to cut the sourness. This peach was made for her! To bad its been in the ground over eight years, I haven’t had the heart to saw it down over these years as it produces like crazy.

Anyway, the good news is for once I can say (looking at the weather forecast) I think I’m fine this year and all of my trees are loaded with blossoms except for my Pristine apple. I do not know why. It has become rather biennial over the years and had about ten small apples last year, so this year I thought it would be loaded. Not the case. Oh well, one tree out of thirty three isn’t bad. I lost seven trees this past year. But this is the first year I will have apricots I can eat if we’re still in the house!.

2 Likes