Strange weather - Will it get our blooms and fruit?

@TurkeyCreekTrees,
Did you put that on 333 rootstock? My Clara Frijs are on callery and I’m very surprised they were not loaded with blossoms this year. Blossoms look great!

No I would say it is probably OHxF87 but it could be OHxF97 I would need to check the tag on the tree.

1 Like

30Fs all night. Had some frost this morning.

I got some tips burn on some of the potted Kakis and figs form the frost 2 night ago. The weather is looking good for now.

Tony

Very light frost down in the hollow this morning. We dipped to 31 F briefly before sunrise and the wind picking up from the SE. Not too worried about it, for once.

It won’t stop raining up here. Rain overnight, rain right now…rain later…storms tomorrow…Sun/Mon look dry…another low moves in for midweek (heavy rain likely) …extended GFS has another big low a week from Sunday right across the area… ugh… I really hope the copper i sprayed worked.

Looks ‘mildish’ …maybe some 60fs this weekend.

Bees don’t like to work in this weather

Comes a moment of sunshine, they swarm the trees

Rob,

Same here for the last 2 weeks. Every other day of raining. It slows my grafting time. Oh well. I am very happy that I got the Mulberries grafts done.

Tony

Yeah, a there has been a very persistent wet pattern for your area since mid-summer last year. We have had rain, but it has been fairly spotty. Looks like our last significant rain here was Apr 05/06.

The 10-day for us looks wet too. I guess I will be out with the sulfur in the sprayer a lot. This 2 week period is the worst because I don’t want to cover apple blooms in Surround and deter the bees, but need to start covering the plums for curc. (I guess it would be the same with the synthetics though, I would have to go around with two different tanks.)

Send some of that rain this way. We had a very dry winter, and have had less than an inch of rain so far this spring.

.60 inches yesterday and it already poured this morning with heavy lightning…another round incoming…and severe later.

I wouldn’t doubt we see some SNOW flakes a week from now (friday nite)…

Also keeps hinting at a shot of some FREEZING temps 10 days out. Should be all bloomed out by then.

10 days from now… something i’ll be watching. I can protect a few things, but the big trees are on their own.

A lot can change in 10 days

This will keep me from setting out any tomatoes, tho

Ugh yes I saw this yeaterday. So it has been in the runs now a couple times. But the Canadian model does not have it. Hopeful the GFS whiffs here.

Yeah…this false summer today (75F here) is just teasing. Looks really wet mid week (inch+ of rain). Luckily we missed out on heavy rain today so far…just some on and off sprinkles earlier. Not much sun, but plenty warm.

seems like every year we get hit with a late freeze/frost.

Watch the Euro…the GFS always seems to come around to what the euro is showing…or so it seems.
Day 9 Euro…850mb temps… ugh… black line is roughly 32F…although as always…wind/clear skies/etc come into play

Got to love that the coldest air is on our side of the globe…come on!

2 Likes

Well, we got 2 late freezes this year (27 and 28 degrees respectively). Looks like i will only get a few japanese plums and no apricots. Peaches and nectarines faired better when fully bloomed for whatever reason. Award for most frost sensitive flower goes to elephant heart plum which i would say was a 95 percent loss. On the other hand, shiro seemed to do the best and flavor king after that.

Gfs and euro aren’t nearly as cold… Hope it holds

1 Like

Extended still looks fine, but Friday morning through Monday morning all look 32F ish… Going to be dragging pots in and out it looks like.

Extended into May?

Hopefully not…right now it looks pretty mild…

This would be the last week of April into very early May

I don’t worry too much about frost. Seems like every year that happens.