Strange weather - Will it get our blooms and fruit?

Forecast lows for next Tue. thru Fri. are 36, 32, 36, and 36. . . yuck. @scottfsmith can I borrow your blowtorch?

Theres a 3 in front of all of those numbers - be happy!

I still feel a bit sad every time I walk by my fried plum and cot blooms. They were so good for so many years, now they are just crispy stuff. :frowning: I have about a dozen cots on various trees now plus Zard which came through completely. No Japanese plums set at all in the end, there were blooms on a few but I guess they were internally damaged.

In the rainy orchard today, 47degrees and I noticed some of my cot blooms turned beige. The petals have fallen off most of the Tomcots, but the Harglow is later and just starting to open. My peaches are going wild this year, thank you Olpea for giving me patience! Found a bit of black knot on my mirebelle de metz but that is not unusual. All of my plums (Euros only) have had blacknot. Copper and daconil will stop it eventually.

The Mott pink apple is loaded! As is the Montmorency cherry and the grafted pear (3) varieties all European. Many plums this year and my first Ananas de Reinette and Caville Blanc D’Hiver apples and my very first red-fleshed Crimson Surprisre apple. Never fails, just as the house goes on the market my orchard is finally working! This just took over 12 years. :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Looks like our volunteer cherry tree is producing its first fruit. We’re assuming it was a seedling from nearby tart cherry trees, no idea what variety. This tree is only about 7ft tall, so we might be able to net this tree, to keep the birds off them.

6 Likes

I haven’t contributed to this tragic thread yet, so here goes.

I lost all my plums and pluerry for the second year in a row. But I’ve known that for weeks.

I had high hopes for my peaches, thinking that they survived the late cold snap. It’s not nearly as bad as last year when l lost everything, but a couple trees really got hit hard.

My Rich May and Gold Dust are a totall loss.

Sugar Giant has 4 or 5 little peaches.

Harrow Diamond, Belle of Georgia, Red Haven, Victoria all have a good amount of fruit and will require thinning, but possibly/hopefully not as much as a normal year

Indian Free is still blooming and should be safe.

Apple’s are blooming and should be safe.

I didn’t check the euro pears and only did a brief check of the Asians, but things look pretty bad. I didn’t see a single Asian pear but it was a very brief inspection.

I’m really bummed about the plums my early peach, but compared to last year when I lost 100% of fruit from 100% of my trees, I’m very happy!

3 Likes

Like the 'tude Bart. That’s where I am as well (although I have to really work at it)

I was really hoping for more of my peach trees to pull through, but some of the younger ones that had blossoms seem to have lost most of them to our last event. I do think I’ll need to thin on Redhaven & Madison. The jury is still out on Intrepid, PF17, and Indian Free. They have a few blossoms still in play. So if I can get a bunch of RH & Madison, I’ll just wait until the others size up some and maybe they’ll handle things better with age.

All my apples look good except two, Earliblaze looks done for, and once again Honeycrisp has nothing but leaves (for a cold hardy variety - Finicky…) But I’m very happy that I’ll have loads of McIntosh, Empire, Haralson, & Red Del. (Okay, not so thrilled about the RD but…) Plus quite a few blossoms on Goldrush & UltraMac.

CJ’s are about done with petal fall, ER is in full bloom, and I so wanted my Crimson Passion to bloom this year, but neither of them did and they’re over 7’ by now… In contrast, I have a couple clusters of blossoms on one of the much smaller Juliet bushes. (not to mention one of the CP’s has a fair amount of winter kill…)

So all in all we’ll have plenty to keep us hopping in spite of the ones that will wait another year to let us sample them.

After the cold snap that toasted my plums, pluots, and cots I had high hopes for my peaches and nects. They even bloomed after the cold snap. But I didn’t get a single fruit to set from them. I think that even though they bloomed they ultimately suffered enough damage to prevent them from setting.

1 Like

Speed,
So sorry to hear this.

1 Like

The next week looks doable…no hard freezes look in the works…days 8-10 look ugly… Today showing 74F! Tomorrow looks warm again…rain midweek on…next week who knows. Next Sunday looks very warm now. Models all over the place…

Thanks mamuang. Just part of the game I guess. Guess I’ll be buying most of my produce from the store or farms market this summer. Ill get a small crop of Asian pears, blueberries, figs, and sweet cherries so that will give me a little home grown fruit.

31, 28, 29, and 32 here. Not a big deal though, I’ve only got one pear at tight cluster. Most of my fruit trees are at silver tip or green tip…I’d guess with the forecast that peak bloom is 3 or more weeks away.

Yeah, my apples will be fine, they have a long way to go. However, my apricot has dropped petals, Toka and Superior are at full bloom and my peaches and nectarine are just starting to open. I’ll be covering what I can with lights and running the sprinkler over the rest.

Good luck. Wild plums here are getting close to blooming, but with the cold snap coming I imagine they’ll slow down quite a bit.

You and me must be around the same place… Maybe just a tad ahead of you. My brother was up at his land yesterday (about 45 mins north of here and they are a good week behind)…they actually had 27F down in the valley yesterday morning (this would be west of Black River Falls)…

Alderman was full bloom yesterday…and the wild plum is blooming today.

2 Likes

I think i would have been crying if i lived in North Dakota today…

1 Like

Looks cold/cool right through the first 10 days of May around these parts. Not sure about any frost yet…potential is maybe there, but its pretty low chance. Looks like lots of clouds, rain and wind. Rinse/repeat. Hope the stonefruit don’t mind 10 days or more with highs in the 50Fs.

The curcs won’t like it

Nor the bees

Accumulating snow for Rochester, MN this weekend possible… this is ugly

Low sitting right on top of us

32F in Duluth right now…freezing rain/snow up that way…

The next few nights will be close…with lows in the 30fs the next 4 nights. I’m bringing in all my potted trees the next few nights. Tomorrow will be just ugly…temps in the 40Fs. Friday morning will be the one to watch here…nws shows 33F.