Strange weather - Will it get our blooms and fruit?

A couple of hours later the snow is mostly gone and we are back to green grass again. Time to get back to the grafting. We did need the moisture.

2 Likes

Well Clark, lets get busy. LOL.

Tony

2 Likes

I just now saw your bad news. As someone who experienced a complete crop loss last year (albeit for a different reason) I can relate to your pain more than most. I also remember you were a good, encouraging friend during that and I’d like to return the favor. But I know there isn’t much anyone can say to help. I suspect you’re asking yourself if it’s even worth growing peaches in your area, whether you should get out, second guessing why you didn’t do more (fires, KDL, etc). Don’t torture yourself like that! Remember the good years you’ve had, know that they will come again, hope that damage isn’t as bad as you think, and know that at least your trees can put on good growth this year without as much fruit load. We all depend on your expertise, grieve for your loss, and hope you’ll take this setback as just that- a temporary disappointment. You’re in the fog of devastation right now, and having been there I can tell you than within a couple weeks you’ll have accepted it, realized that life goes on and fruit going is still overall a positive thing and better years will come. Time really does heal wounds.

Sorry for your loss…let us know how bad it turns out.

3 Likes

Reliance peach blooms just opened today and guess what the bees chose to work? Reliance blooms are the least attractive bloom of any peach I’ve seen but all pollinators seem to love them so the nectar must really flow. I’m guessing the rain / snow washed the nectar out of some of the blooms this morning on other trees.

4 Likes

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. Hope the sun stays out.

1 Like

Very frosty night out tonight so we will wait and see what blooms are left tomorrow. Many trees are still in full bloom. Many apples are all the way open and others are partially open.

Once again the wind kicked up before morning and saved the blooms because I planted my orchard on a hill top. My family always told me to look for a place with water even if it’s bad water and an old timer and close friend always said get the higher ground for an orchard and as many south facing slopes for grapes etc. as possible. The dirt is not always as important as the location.

2 Likes

Amen to that my friend!!

1 Like

So far so good but we are not out of the woods yet. Remember the pears that were in bloom and covered by snow? See the picture below of what they look like now! I took a few pictures today of apples, cherries, and autumn olives shown below.

6 Likes

Clark,
Congrtas. You have given us hope.

1 Like

The blooms that were covered in snow are turning into nice looking fruit and seem to be fine

5 Likes

What pear is that? They look very red.

Yes that’s an improved kieffer and they are very red when they are young. I wonder if some of that is influenced by soil or sun because all of my fruit is a little more red than normal.

1 Like

Very nice, will you thin those?

There is no need they get huge. They will be very large if I leave them as is with hundreds on the tree.

1 Like

Wow

You might have to worry about them breaking the branches then?

They don’t break the branches but I do need to prop them up with supports. They don’t ripen until July usually but this year when they will ripen is anyone’s guess. I have 5 of that type of tree that are bearing and I sure don’t need anymore. The fruit crop is heavier every year. I use Stephen Hayes method to support the branches https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpCJnQciaXg and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHmOnwqytVU . The trees actually stay under 20 feet because they bear so heavily.

1 Like

Do you grow Bartlett?

I have 2 Bartlett that have flowers for the first time. Excited…big fan of Bartlett. I also have a seedling pear that looks like its going to flower.

1 Like

I do grow Bartlett and love them. They are a very good producer of nice flavored pears. I would love to see a post on your seedling and Bartlett as they fruit.

1 Like