Success of cuttings? Mexican Limes' refusal to bloom

Thanks, I’ll give that a try.
See if that forces a late bloom!

Any idea on the failed cuttings?

I know you’re in 9B but otherwise ignorant of your location. In my experience a true mexican/key lime would bloom 2-3 times a year without much stimulus in zone 9B of several southern California counties.

Plant Propagation, ed. Alan Toogood:

2 Likes

Thanks again Richard.
I’m in Livermore California (Norcal). Very hot inland climate (9B)
I’ll try the cuttings a little later in the season.

Hi Calron, welcome to the forum. I live just outside of Tracy and work in Livermore.

1 Like

Hey there neighbor :slightly_smiling: just over the hill lol
Thought I was the only inland Norcaler here.

1 Like

We have a few more people not far away, you can check locations of many forum members on this map: General Location Map of growingfruit.org members. smatthew is the closest one in San Ramon.

That’s pretty neat. My wife works in San Ramon too.

I was about to say - I’m pretty close in San Ramon. And I grow in Sunol.

Cool. Nice to have a few fellow gardeners nearby :slightly_smiling:

I love the Sunol area. 680N was my first AM commute route in CA. Of course, little traffic made me feel better!

Yeah, I’m still on 680 almost daily. Gets old during rush hour however.v

Not in the opposite direction! :grin:

1 Like

So a month and a bit after I posted this, my Mexican Lime with several applications of a 5-55-15 fert has STILL refused to have even one bloom. Otherwise it looks very green and healthy.

So I was reading at another site, and wanted to solicit opinions, that if you greatly reduce watering frequency (currently I give about 4 gallons every 2 weeks) to the point that that leaves almost start to wilt, then give it a heavy dose of nitrogen rich fert and plenty of water will force it to bloom.

Thoughts?

Mexican Limes can be quite greedy if I remember correctly, how often are you feeding it? Also despite lemon and lime cuttings being reported to root easily I could never get any to root, not even enclosed in plastic bags and with a generic rooting powder. It was only after I bought a rooting gel with even stronger (like 6x) hormone that I got any to root, so don’t be afraid to look into getting something to help your cuttings along with the rooting.

Well, I’ve been feeding it weekly. Still no blooms. Strange.
As far as cuttings, I’ve given up for now. Just not cooperating lol

I think it’s worth trying. I don’t know how that lime will react, but many tropical and subtropical fruits do have their bloom cycles triggered by the return of a wet season after a dry season. I have zero backup to the thought, but suspect that the dry time may work something like the dormant season does for temperate fruits.

1 Like

I’m going to try, what else have I got to lose :slightly_smiling:
From what I read, it works very well, and is used commercially in Italy.

Just a quick update: So I tried this water starving method to stimulate blooms, and wouldn’t you know it…IT WORKED!!! So, I’m not sure if it was just it’s time to bloom, or the water starving method worked, but I now have a Mexican lime with about 15-20 blooms. Still not a full flush, but certainly nice to see :slight_smile:
Meanwhile on the cuttings side, killed another stick…Grrr. Still haven’t got that one dialled in lol

2 Likes

Now feed it well, quench its thirst, and keep it happy so that it doesn’t drop all the fruitlets. You may wind up with another flush in 4 to 6 weeks.

Congratulations on your blooms!

2 Likes

Thanks, we’ll do. Gave it a couple of gallons of water-soluble Miracle Grow. That was one stubborn tree. Guess it’s only 2 years old as well, and doing more work below ground.