Sugar Twist Pluerry

Toka plum flower very easily to take pollen, Can I use Toka to pollinate Sugar Twist. I don’t really know what the difference between American plum and European plum.
Thank you Rich. I will do it tomorrow when it not rainy days.

Here are some progress photos.

4 Likes

So beautiful, you will be the first one in all of us having a chance to taste and report about Sugar Twist this summer Rich.

The fruit is pointed on the end, similar to Candy Heart. I hope that it tastes good, like Candy Heart :sunglasses:.

1 Like

One has an accent! :smiling_imp:

6 Likes

Question is: Which one? :grin:

1 Like

That’s a matter of perspective. Funny reminds when I met some of my cousins from Maryland they said i sounded Canadian! I said to them “Hey, How ya doing?”
Around here we say “Hey” for hi, or hello.

I told them, no,no, no! If I was Canadian i would have said “How ya doing eh”
Big difference! I actually have many Canadian friends as I live 16 miles from the border, and my cottage is less than one mile from the border. I enjoy their company a lot! Great people no doubt!

according to something I hear from a linguist East coast American accents would sound more similar to 1600 century European English then the modern European English does to 1600 century English.

I have researched some into this mostly to satisfy my curiosity regarding what accent the founding father’s spoke with… especially since movies and media tend to depict the redcoats with fully modern British accents. My conclusion was the same as yours — that the major change in the dominant dialect was actually in Britain. Also there are English is spoken with many different accents in England – not just the one your hear which dominates the media – just like in the US.

Yes, I know some Brits, and absolutely! Some are very hard to understand. I knew a guy name Dave from London. He pronounced Dave as Dive. I knew a nurse who was Indian but raised in the UK, and her accent was way different.
One of the best stories I have is about accents. i was playing golf by myself, and another single player joined up with me. He was Cajun, from Louisiana, and had a French-Southern accent. Coolest accent I ever heard! A rhythmic southern accent. He pronounced pecan like Pa-cun, or pa-cone In other places it’s pronounced pea-can. He asked me what my name was and I said “Andy” He gave me a funny look and said that’s a girl’s name where he come from. I didn’t know what to say and asked his name? he said “Renee”! Ha! I laughed, that really happened!

2 Likes

Hand pollinating so easy on European plums flower not on Japanese plum, their flowers so soft, hard to find their short stigma.

1 Like

That’s great Drew! I am half Cajon from Louisiana and I really miss that accent. I still have a trace of it I’m told. Comes out more when I’m talking to my people from back home or when I’ve had few beers.

2 Likes

My Sugar Twist blooms so late, now no flowers around for pollination except Carmine Jewel sour cherry is blooming, can I use Carmine’s pollen for Sugar Twist pollinating.

My friends tell me the same thing, haha, especially when I’m talking to my wife whose also from there.

Hi Vincent,

Do you have any pollen left from all of those Nadia blooms? A local nursery might have some plum/pluots in bloom. Maybe you can steal some of their blossoms, or your Sugar Twist might just receive the right pollen on its own. Just some thoughts. Good luck.

Rich

1 Like

Thank you so much Rick. It is taking so long for ST bloom, I will do my best to find pollen.

Sorry I haven’t posted in this thread in a while. It looks like only a couple set on my Sugar twist (which is fine) …for a Pluerry that is supposed to ripen a month before Sweet Treat, they sure do look small,time will tell
I’ll try and get some pics tomorrow.

2 Likes

I was finally able to get out in the orchard today and snap a couple pics of Sugar Twist.
It looks like only one will/may make it to maturity. The tree is doing fine, it doesn’t have the vigor that I’d like (but that’s how Citation works in my yard, 8" of new growth on the most vigorous shoot ) Example. Flavor King on Myro29 has double that easily

2 Likes

Here are some photos. The length of the most vigorous shoot is about 20". It is doing well even in partial afternoon shade from a very large pepper tree. It has 9 developing fruit on it of various sizes on the lower branch. I will leave them all on to see what happens.

4 Likes