Sugar Twist Pluerry

Thanks for the update Rich

1 Like

It is starting to change color. A ripe large Stella cherry is positioned next to it for size comparison. It is noticeably larger than a Nadia fruit. Ready in a few weeks? The tag says late June to early July.

6 Likes

I’d wait until it softens. Pluots and similar don’t get over ripe until after they soften. The temptation is to pick them too early. I very likely picked my first Nadia too early and tempted others to do the same. I thought the Nadia felt a little soft but may have been imagining things.

1 Like

I will wait. Candy Heart was well worth the wait last season to fully ripen.

2 Likes

Mine were knocked out by the winds.

2 Likes

The DWN site says:

Harvest Dates
June 1 to June 15
(approximate for Hickman, CA)

1 Like

I live about 85 miles West of Hickman. How can they (DWN) be off by a Month? The climate here, Santa Clara Valley, is a little cooler than in the Central Valley. I noticed that fruit develops usually develops and ripens sooner in Southern CA, (and Southern parts of the country) then here, and lastly in the Northern States.

2 Likes

I’m in Tracy, about 30 miles west of Hickman; due to the Bay influence it’s about 5-7 F cooler in summer here compared to the heart of Central Valley, but still much warmer than in Santa Clara Valley. I think my ripening dates are pretty close to those that DWN cites for Hickman. However, I noticed that the ripening dates cited by the Arboreum (located in Morgan Hill) are lagging by 2-3 weeks relative to what I observe in my place. It’s a big difference for such short distance.

2 Likes

In my limited experience, maturity can vary quite a bit. Down here in SoCal, we were 4 weeks ahead of the DW maturity chart last year, but look to be about a week ahead this year. And based on some of the posts here, it looked like NoCal could be ahead of us in many places this year. With more volatile weather in recent years (or at least it seems that way in many places), those harvest charts could mainly be useful for gauging the order of maturity between varieties than the actual dates.

2 Likes

They continue to change color. I added bird netting to the lower fruiting branch.

7 Likes

So nice. I don’t have any this year .

1 Like

One of them felt just a little soft, though not quite ripe. I picked it anyway since there are eight more to go. The yellow flesh part was somewhat unripe, that part tasted like a fairly sweet plum, nothing special. The red flesh part was really good, sweet, honey like, and tender, not mealy or mushy (like Nadia can be) at all. It has a very pleasant flavor, it melts in your mouth (like an m&m, jk) and is not crunchy.

Size: 1-1/2" in length (or diameter)
Brix: only 19 should increase with riper fruit.
Pit: fairly large, cling stone

I was expecting the flesh to be yellow colored like the tag. Red flesh, however, indicates ripeness, a very nice visual indicator The ripening date on the tag is: June 20 to July 15. Next time, I will report on one that is fully ripe.

14 Likes

Hi Rick.
I will move some of fruit trees to my vacation house because it’s acre property, but a lot of deer come in that property everyday, and it is almost 2 hours away from my living house. A lot of my fruit trees have not fruited yet. I have to decide which one will be moved. All the very good ones will stay where I am living. I would like to ask do you like Sugar Twist, and Sweat Treat so far? Thanks Rich

2 Likes

Where is your other property,Vincent?Brady

1 Like

Hi Brady. Our property locates @ Twanoh Falls Hood Canal Belfair WA.

2 Likes

Hi Vincent,

Candy Heart is way way better than Sugar Twist or Sweet Treat. Sugar Twist has a very bland flavor to me.
I don’t crave eating Sweet Treat fruit, they are dehydrated and are used as a raisin substitute in oat meal
Sugar Twist is sort of a disappointment to me as far as flavor goes.

Be careful moving fruit trees. Do it during dormancy, and if they were planted in a particular location for less than three years. Dig up as much of the root system as possible, keep the roots constantly moist before transplanting. I did this successfully with on of my fruit trees early this season, it had no problems producing fruit. I live in an area with no deer or rabbit problems.

I plan on going to Andy’s Orchard in Morgan Hill CA for their final event tomorrow: peach, nectarine, plum and pluot tasting and harvesting. Sign up if you can if you are in the area.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for information and advice, it’s really helpful Rich.

2 Likes

I’m finally going to taste Sugar Twist Pluerries this year.

8 Likes

They are now bigger than a Bing cherry.

7 Likes

I should get a couple fruit,if the critters can be kept away. Brady

5 Likes