Sugar Twist Pluerry

Your Sugar Twist had quite a few blossom, but just 1 fruit set so far? Mine will have some flowers but I will away from home. At least we knew next year all of us Sugar Twist will have flowers and fruiting.

2 Likes

My Sugar Twist started to bloom over the weekend. It looks like itā€™ll have 50 or so blossoms, hopefully Iā€™ll get to try it in the first year.

5 Likes

Where did you bought yours from, Steve?

None of the local nurseries had them, I found a place 80 miles north of me that received only 3. I bought the best one.

http://www.wyntourgardens.com/

2 Likes

My local Summerwinds nursery still has Sugar Twist Pluerry for $40.

I must have called 30-40 nurseries within a 100 miles during bare root season and they were the only ones to have them. Itā€™s good to know there are still some out there!

2 Likes

Okā€¦so with all this talk of Sugar Twists or Sugar plums dancing around in your heads, I have only just 1 question. Who of you are going to buy the last Sugar Twists you can find and put them up for a premium price on EBAY? :grin:

2 Likes

No way in hell Iā€™d pay premium prices for a Sugar twist Pluerry. No one has even tasted it yet. And the other 2 Pluerries havenā€™t exactly knocked everyoneā€™s socks off. Candy heart is said to be pretty good but Iā€™ve not heard a single person say itā€™s the best stone fruit theyā€™ve eaten. And Sweet Treat had been disappointing from most of the talk Iā€™ve heard. Iā€™m not real sure why there is so much urgency to get it. I guess itā€™s just the dream that one of these days a Pluerry will actually taste like a cherry instead of a plum. I bought into the Nadia craze but Iā€™m not buying another until I know itā€™s a top notch piece of fruit.

5 Likes

I agree. The Sugar Twist that I bought was on sale for $28 in Morgan Hill CA in January. Last fall I bought an additional Candy Heart tree, a large one, for half off, $20 at a nursery in Almaden Valley, San Jose CA. My original Candy Heart tree has only 3 fruit sets on it this year, much energy went into early fruit production, not tree growth last season. The $20 tree, right now,has at least 15 fruit sets. Candy Heart is one of the best fruits that I have tasted (a tender watermelon-cherry flavor, not at all plum like). Sweet Treat is not so good, It tastes better dried. Some of us are very lucky to live in near ideal places for these trees to thrive and produce right out of the gate. Sugar Twist will be put to the test in a few months. Just sharing some of my experiences (and luck) on this forum.

3 Likes

Which one was it?

In case nobody knows or remembersā€¦I cut my my sweet treat down this past fall. Dug it up and had the garbage men pick it up. The only thing that was a sweet treat for it was black knot in my yard! I should have done it a year earlier like Scott did.

Two more blossoms opened today (top two), thus, I pollinated them with Flavor King Pluot pollen.

Wow! There is a lot of hate for Sweet Treat! Itā€™s a hit here, everyone really likes it. Is it the best or even close? No, but I wouldnā€™t dig mine upā€¦Bella Gold Peacotum, now thatā€™s different story! If I donā€™t get fruit this year, it just might get chopped down!

3 Likes

My Sweet Treat Pluerries were delicious, and the Bella Gold Peacotums were outstanding.

Boy Rich, you have got me so excited to try candy heart! When you say tender do you mean fruit is not firm? Is this a soft fruit? Makes sense if it is cause it wont pack well and these cant be used commercially. I hope it is a firm fruit, I really like firm fruit, and semi firm, just not soft, does not look soft in pictures. Thanks for your tasting evaluations, cant wait to try my candy heart this year!

1 Like

Almaden Nursery, Almaden Expressway one block South of Coleman.

1 Like

I have topworked a lot of my peacotum with flavor grenade and flavor supreme hoping to get some more peacotums with flavor grenade pollinator. Will have to see next year if I get more fruit, usually get 2 or 3 fruit a year without proper pollination. They are a very interesting fruit, tasty, not awesome but different. I think that is the novelty of this fruit. It is definitely a problem tree though I will keep what I have left as just something completely different and tasty!

I chose to pick the Candy Heart fruit when it was fully ripe and did not want to jump the gun like Ulises did with Nadia last season. Remember? This season I will pick some that are firmer to see what they are like.

3 Likes

If the Sweet Treat tastes not so good we can remove it keep room for something else but Sweet Treat help to pollinate the Candy Heart, and itā€™s the only one edible in early state. Your Candy Heart has only 3 fruit set so far it made us worry for the pollination happened not easy at all specially I am in the cooler area.

Iā€™ve had Bella Gold at fruit tastings and I like the fruit just fine. Iā€™ve had mine 5 or so years ( whenever they came out) Itā€™s planted between Flavor Grenade and Blenheim and still has never produced, Also itā€™s small, itā€™s only about 3ft tall