SugarCane Jujubee's in Dallas

Planted this tree April 2016. It was either a Dave Wilson or LE Cooke, a good size bare root. We took off about a third of the jujubee’s yesterday. At my old house this variety seemed to bear every other year, but we got a few fruits last year, & plenty in 2017.

12 Likes

Are those big for sugar cane?

1 Like

There’s maybe a 2:1 size variation on the ones we picked. A couple really big ones, a few tiny. But on average, typical Sugar Canes.

2 Likes

I’m jealous…I’ll be glad when my trees get that productive. I don’t have a sugar cane yet. Did you get it from Doans?

1 Like

Doans. Yes. They had both Dave Wilson and L E Cook trees, can’t remember which I got; both places are great suppliers.

2 Likes

Do they stock in the fall or just spring?

1 Like

They get their trees in about Jan 15-20. They’ll bring in a lot of trees, but will be sold out by mid March. Be sure to call before you go, they take off for the Vietnamese new year for a week-10 days in early Feb. Nothing in the fall, except some scraggly leftovers.

Last year they had Li, Shanxi Li, Sugarcane, Honeyjar, Contorted, and ga866 (ugh); but the selection varies year to year.

2 Likes

I’ll have to make a trip… thanks!

1 Like

Doan’s is a good source for fruit trees. You told me about them years ago when I first moved to Dallas. Man those jujube look great. I have only had what I think were Lang before and I wasn’t impressed. Some have told me that I may have eaten them at the wrong stage or something like that or maybe that one is a processing type or something. Everyone keeps talking about them so I must have had some bad ones I guess. How do you like these Sugar Canes?

2 Likes

bad case of hoard-itis…

2 Likes

Sugar canes are great! Also Honey Jar. And my Li’s , & Shihongs. My favorite
Is a tree I thought was a Winter Delight but might be an Autumn Beauty.

3 Likes

Yep…I’ve joined the ranks of many here…

I have 5 more jujus left on my Chico…I can eat them all at one time and enjoy or I can eat one a day and enjoy less longer… hahahahaha. Decisions…

3 Likes

the budwood you sent have both grown to be very spiny, we’ll see in hopefully just a year more if there will be obvious differences. Still couldn’t draw conclusions from what we see with fruit formation and quality, since the grafts are relatively young.

1 Like

So interesting to read about jujube plants in the DFW area. I’m over in FW. I have been wanting to get a couple of these for a few years. I ordered one with my EL order this year, but they were out of the variety that I ordered. Its good to know that I could potentially pick them up locally. I’ve never been to Doan’s, so it will be on my radar to visit in January.

4 Likes

They’ll thrive in fw

3 Likes

Bob, and all.

Last year I planted a Honey Jar seed and now it produced some good size fruits. I hope the fruit taste sweet and good.

Tony

5 Likes

Looks great! My 2nd year Sugarcane at my house is loaded, & they taste good. But all my trees planted in 2017 at my office taste better, age seems to help

4 Likes

your seed-to-fruiting documentation is one of three that have come across online. One is @castanea’s and another was this texan(san marcos) i came across but lost contact with.

my seed-to-fruiting stories probably do not count, since the seeds were obtained from rootstoc fruits, and took two years to bear.

3 Likes

Ok y’all have me interested in learning about Jujube’s any sites or references you recommend for learning more?

Drew

1 Like

Start here

http://www.texasgardener.com/pastissues/janfeb08/Jujube.html

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/fruit-nut/fact-sheets/jujube/

There’s lots of threads on this forum about jujubes and lots of people that have grown them for years.

@jujubemulberry @Bhawkins @BobVance @tonyOmahaz5 @castanea

2 Likes