SugarCane Jujubee's in Dallas

i see you’re in dfw area, so @Bhawkins and @k8tpayaso would be your most reliable sources of info for first-hand experience. Bob and k8t seem to be growing them hassle-free with zero-worries and zero attention to detail. All you really need to do, seemingly, are buy some trees, plant them in the sunniest spots in your yard with fairly good drainage, and wait…

a few cultivars may not be too productive, but many of the better varieties perform well and are precocious, often fruiting on the first year of planting or grafting.

feel free to post your queries, many here ‘speak jujube’, and so happy to share/broadcast data :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Your welcome to come on up to Allen/McKinney. Im picking Shihongs now; its close to the end of my Jujube season

Bob

2 Likes

Thank you for the offer! I still need to come up and see you and would love to show you my place soon as well. By the way did you happen to see the article in the DMN. Was really great.

2 Likes

Awesome! Yes I know there are many experts here. I’ll do more research and ask a few questions for sure.

2 Likes

Thank you I’ll check out these sites.

2 Likes

@k8tpayaso told me about your Big Tex urban farm project being featured by your online newspaper.
Congrats and more power to you, and like many others here, i would like to help. Jujus are undoubtedly tailored to your specifications, since jujus are “hearty and prolific,and their storage life is long”. Just like spuds and 'nions :slight_smile:

jujus’ storage life is long because the fruits have a wide window of edibility. You can eat the fruits at the yellowish, creamy stage, when they have a vegetable quality, and may eat them when fruits have been dried, with no preservatives or artificial desiccation. Or course, you could eat the fruits at any stage in between the two extreme stages mentioned. Shelf-life from creamy stage to dried dates is 1 year, at a minimum! Much longer than a year if you have strong teeth, as the fruit sugars often crystallize into rock sugar. And speaking of long storage life, jujus also have some of the longest productive lives among deciduous trees. Jujus may be fruitful for hundreds of years. And may also be grown with zero pesticides in many areas all over the world, including usa.

and referring to what was mentioned by dallasnews article , saying that DFW area has been labeled a ‘food desert’ by the Dept of Agriculture- well, got to tell you that where we’re at(las vegas), DFW is a little too moist in comparison :grin: We actually have the least amounts of rainfall per annum among big cities in usa(even less than phx, az),and our jujus are doing pretty good for the little rain they get and the half-hearted irrigation that we give them.

jujus also bear some of the most nutritious fruits one can grow in the usa(even holding its ground against tropical fruits being grown in fl, hawaii, and so cal) and expectedly, jujus also happen to have more antioxidant activity than conventional fruits. That study shows it is only second to Cornelian cherries, but could have been number 1 in the list if the experiment used unpeeled jujubes, instead of peeled ones. All the high scorers were not peeled.

i obviously tried to predict what questions about jujus you have in mind, basing on your comments at the dallasnews article, and tried to answer them in advance :grin:

below are a couple of reputable webpages we refer to every now and then, since the gov’t of australia updates them periodically. And lastly, you probably might want to start with seedlings since juju trees are a bit expensive(~40+dollars for a regular-sized bareroot) Probably just buy one named juju tree if you need some degree of instant gratification, and then just graft it and the seedlings with other named varieties at a later time.Will send you some pits from rootstoc/named varieties which have high germination rates. Just PM me your address when you’re ready to give it a go :slight_smile:

https://www.agric.wa.gov.au/minor-fruits/jujubes-western-australia?page=0%2C1
https://www.agric.wa.gov.au/minor-fruits/jujubes-western-australia?page=0%2C0

4 Likes

Man you are awesome! This is great. How generous! We have done a lot this year with this project but there is a lot more to do. Hopefully I don’t ask too many questions but yes my interest in Juju’s is primarily in regards to my project. I think there toughness and productivity could make them very useful. Thank you!

DD

2 Likes

don’t worry about asking many questions. Many here are more than happy to answer them-- again and again-- as newcomers to jujus trickle in at different times. You are not the first to ask questions, and likely not the last. Impossible for newcomers to try to sieve this entire forum and threads for what they feel might be questions that have already been answered.

2 Likes

Hi. The tree looks amazing and I wanted to grow but I am having hard time to find the variety in the nursery or online from past couple of years. I live in Frisco and hope if you can share some information on where I can get the plant that would be great! Thank you in advance!

1 Like

I’ve seen the variety listed recently, but not from anyone I recognize as a good online retailer. They are a bit pricey as well. If you are up for the risk, both Amazon and Etsy had listings this week. A bit more cost-effective potential if you have the ability to root or something to graft onto. Maybe someone will have some still in here or know a walk-in vendor in your area.
If you haven’t checked yet, look in the trade and sale categories for recent hits.
I’m thinking it is just a little late to be ordering them this season, but I don’t know if that was a normal thing or a supply issue.

1 Like

Thank you for your response. I have been trying to find it online but most of the nurseries are out of stock and no luck finding in any walk-in nurseries. I am not sure about trade and sale categories in my area. I did find some on Etsy but they don’t have root.

1 Like

prices have gone up, but i got mine from here: Jujubes (baylaurelnursery.com)
Sadly they are not taking any more orders for the season. A quick look over anywhere i would buy from online and everyone is out. Personally, i like so contorted more, and it consistently produces more for me.

1 Like

The best time to buy jujube trees online is generally from November to January. After January, most trees are sold out. West coast nurseries will often have Sugar Cane for sale.

1 Like

In DFW area, look at Doan’s in Arlington or Phuong’s in Garland. Covington in Garland may get some in this year. Nurseries in Houston and near Austin will definitely have them. If you have rootstock, I have scions available to graft.

1 Like

I agree with others here; Doan’s in Irving, & Edible Landscape, Raintree, & England’s are good mail order sources

1 Like

btw, Sugar Cane may need another pollinator for a good fruit set

1 Like

I guess I am at a point now not looking for sugar cane variety but any good taste jujubes plants.
I will try Doan’s and other nurseries. Thanks for all your suggestions. I will still be watching this thread.

1 Like

Where are you located?

1 Like

Frisco

1 Like