Sugarcane

Why is that? I’m tempted to container them…is the root system huge? Containers stay warmer then soil, but in ground has more space/nutrients/water…hmmm

It’s more to do with room. I have so many containers now. Will it be worth it? Is another question. I did recently lose a tropical, it split open in the garage, too cold for it I guess? A sherbet berry tree. I guess needs to be indoors in the winter, and with the orange trees no room, oh well. The sugarcane may fair better? Not sure if I need to bring it in or not?

lol…i have probably 150 containers right now. I’m adding a vanilla bean …i added another 6 gardenia…coffee…might get an olive. Need to watch it…since so much needs to overwinter inside.

Also have about 30 red oak seedling just emerging…i could start a forest.

1 Like

I’d mentioned above sorghum used in Sileage . Here are some neighbors making a pit. In Kansas everything looks small even those large tractors are undersized for making that cattle sauerkraut.

1 Like

I ordered sugarcane seeds last spring off ebay…not a single one sprouted and i used all the tricks…think it was garbage seed…i’ll try again this spring.

1 Like

@warmwxrules
Rob,
If you want to try sorghum I think I have some seed.

Just stay off the roads when they harvest! Oh my… Very scary…field burning, old dangerous trucks doing 90 on 2 lane roads…very scary…:flushed:

Sugarcane start better from the candy nodes. I got two canes growing right now in my indoor pot.

remember those days too. There is something about the cultivation and processing of sugarcane that is so beautiful, primal, and ingenious.

the leaves are so beautiful and graceful but also deadly razor sharp. And the most practical way of getting rid of them is to burn the fields down. The species seems to present itself that way, as only the leaves are quickly flammable, but the canes have remarkable resistance to fire, just enough to prevent transforming into useless coal, but permeable enough to allow excess moisture to evaporate and concentrate the dissolved sugars. Thus said, burning the fields incinerates the razor-sharp leaves and allow easier access to and handling of the canes by field workers, it also concentrates the sugars, and lastly, the evaporation of moisture likewise lightens the load for the field workers.

I ended up ordering more seeds from China (i think)… We’ll try it again.

1 Like

Funny that you described sugar cane leaves so elegantly that I almost fell for it :smile:

Then I remember how sharp those blades were and how itchy it was when those leaves accidentally touched your skin. I disliked going near those leaves.

1 Like

evidently my crooning ain’t elegant enough, guess i need to up my game, haha.

i just find sugarcane being such a pretty ornamental. Much like a rose(or in this case, dext-rose :laughing:) draws me in despite its thorns.

1 Like

My Sugarcane is growing fast. I will transplant to a wheel trash can in Spring and roll it indoor in the Winter.

Tony

2 Likes