Suggestions, changes, what's working and what isn't so far?

Scott-

IE works perfect…its Comodo IceDragon… 26.0.0.2 its says its up to date …I thought there was something off there. I should have tried a different browser.

I like this forum a lot! It’s great! :blush:. I was about to give up on online discussions.

The text and colors show up excellent on my I-pad, which is really helpful.

The organization is excellent.

I like the absence of ads and and double underline linking ads.

I like the digest of topics that was sent, very helpful.

The categories are great.

The other folks here seem like they would be great to talk to over the fence or walking around the neighborhood or over some coffee☕️.

1 Like

Guess my only wish is that the program had the ability to resize the photos, so you don’t get the message that the photo is too big, then have to edit it in a photo editing program. Either Garden Web didn’t have size restrictions, or the photos were all resized for upload. That would be a nice thing to have.

I agree. I’m not sure why the site doesn’t have such a feature, cameras today have many more pixels. This summer I will have some time to look into this and some other issues to see if the code can be patched.

Scott

Edit: I just looked into this again and a few days ago they supposedly added a patch to allow 10MB photos to be uploaded :+1: I’m not sure why it isn’t in our forum now but it will be soon.

Some comments I have. it would be nice if the main page listed the forums and not every message ever posted. We need more forums too. Even sub forums. In a tree-like structure. Like maybe regional forums, bush and small fruit, edible ornamentals, Soil, fertilizer, and irrigating, pome fruit trees, stone fruit trees, Nut trees. or just orchard trees. Pest and disease prevention, recipes, food preservation, vegetables, seed exchange, what else do you grow?. Available for trade, wanted, Harvest time, general discussion, seed and plant sources, off topic (not political, like what books do you read, what TV shows, what fergie is doing today etc.), photo gallery, etc…A better form of organization would be a more pleasant experience for me. Such as what are the latest posts about raspberries. Currently I have to look at all the posts. It would be nice just to check the bush and small fruit forum. It would also make it easier to research. It’s going to be a mess when we hit 30 thousand threads.

I like it just the way it is. With more traffic sub-forums might make sense, but they aren’t really necessary right now in my view.

All you have to do is click on “Categories” and you will get the list of categories. Bookmark that page and you can make that how you start out each time.

We just added the first round of new categories, see my post on that. More are surely coming as well, but we don’t want to rush into having too many categories and end up with unused ones.

Anyone who doesn’t like all the new categories can just keep the current home page view where all the posts in all categories get shown. This forum does a really good job of “Have it your way” (I think most of us are old enough to remember that ad campaign?).

Scott

Excellent. Looks better already! Yeah I was just throwing out possibilities. No need to use them all, just tossing ideas out there. Already have posts in one of them!

Some boards, like phpbb, have the ability to break out “off topic” posts into new threads. This would be a great way to deal with threads that go wildly into the weeds.

Maybe start a thread (though that may have a character/line limit as well) to post cultivar lists on one’s property. If you do I would post location data as well…knowing what varieties one has successfully growing is a lot better when we know where they are growing.

A spreadsheet (including import/export) function would be ideal for this.

If you click on the “+ Reply as linked Topic” in the upper right of each post (move the mouse there to see it) you will make a new thread for your reply.

You should be able to upload spreadsheets, I enabled a bunch of standard file types.

Scott

Scott,

For those of us who are technologically challenged, could you please post a “how-to post pictures” and pin it on top? It will be very helpful to a few of us.

I know there is a post about it now somewhere in the Fruit Growing category but it can be difficult to find among many posts out there. Thanks.

Apologies for not being more clear. As a member I would like members to have the ability to flag someone else’s post as being “off topic”, so that you as an admin have the option to move the post to create an entirely new topic. This keeps discussions from going sideways.

That option exists, its the first option when you click on the flag. Unfortunately I don’t see any way of us admins from making a reply into a new topic other than copy/pasting the whole thing.

More generally, we don’t plan on doing that level of management at this point due to lack of time. Also, some off-topic replies can take the discussion in a direction more interesting than the original thread. I do hope people start to use the “reply as a linked topic” on their own when they want to take it in a radically new direction so there will not be too much distraction in a thread, but a bit of distraction can be healthy.

Scott

One suggestion I might make, Scott is with the links, if it is even possible to do this. When you click on a link embedded in a message, it doesn’t open in a new window. It should. Instead, we come off of the forum and are directed the the website in the link. Better, I think, if clicking on the link launched the site in a new window.

There is an option for that. Go into your settings and check the box “Open all external links in a new tab”.

Scott

Ah, I should have looked harder. You’re a sharp cookie, Scott. Thanks for picking such an awesome chat platform. I’m going to have to talk to you offline about this product. Off to adjust my settings :blush:

Is it available to have an on site search feature/engine to look up information more quickly?
I also agree,very nice work to make this site happen.Thanks,Brady

There is one Brady. To the left of your icon in the upper right corner of the page. Just click on the magnifying glass to open a search field.

Thanks Appleseed,that’s great.I’m still learning things. Brady