Sunburn on apples in plastic ziplock sandwich bags

Can peaches and nectarine be bagged? Only they are very close to the branches, hardly any stems. I am afraid if I bag them the fruits would fall off. thx!

1 Like

I Ziploc bagged ten peaches about a month ago. This is my test run.

I did one but too afraid the fruits may fall off. Did you have any problems bagging them, ie they did some of the fruitlets fall off as you tried to bag thx

1 Like

I sprayed with surround until they were about 3/4". The peach stem is short so I was careful putting the bag on. None broke off but I did take my time.

OK. I have precious few. I want to make sure that people are having success bagging stone fruits. I sprayed mine with Surround too :slight_smile: Actually I painted them with a brush, lol thx

1 Like

Last year I made sleeves out of fruit fly exclusion net that I slipped over the branch holding the clusters of fruit and tying each end. They seemed to work well on my peaches and nectarines.

Mick

2 Likes

Could you please post a pic? I am not sure if I know what it looks like.

Hi Mamuang’

The sleeves I made are out of synthetic exclusion fabric. Basically, they’re an open ended cylinder about 6" diameter by as long as you want. This one is about 18" long.
We are just a week from our winter so our trees are dormant but the pics should show you how I use them.

The pic with the sleeve on the tree, should it have fruit on would expand to cover the fruit and would be slipped down to cover the bottom piece of fruit and tied off. The top should cover the fruit at the top and also be tied off. Experience indicates that some fruit drop occurs and falls to the bottom of the sleeve. This can be removed by opening the tie at the bottom.

I hope this helps

Mick

1 Like

I am 100% willing to bet those will rot in the ziplock. My grapes in ziplock rotted horribly. It gets extremely hot and humid in there. No problems with apples though.

I think mesh organza bags would work great for you though. No problems with those for my grapes.

Check my backyard garden report for photos.

1 Like

Thanks. Not sure if I have seen it around here.

@hungryfrozencanuck4b, the only person that has been report having success using zip lock plastic bags for peaches is @BobVance’s father. I believe he kives in the Northeast. I tried it without success but it could be that bugs did the damage before I bagged that year.

I will try ziplock bags on a couple of nectarines this year they have no fuss, might work. May even try one zip lock on a clean peach this year.

Yeah, brought a few of them over last year and they looked nice and clean. I didn’t think they were all that sweet, so maybe he didn’t let them get super ripe. From what I’ve seen with Tango’s, it’s the ripe ones that rot like anything.

I’ve actually had grapes work out ok in zip locks (corners cut off for drainage). The big issue they solved was black rot. Apples sometimes sunburn for me, mostly a spot on the South side of the fruit which then rots.

In general, I’m getting a bit tired of bagging and am trying a non-organic spray program this year. I’ll still bag some to avoid later issues, more as an insurance plan. Maybe bagging later will make it less likely for the bag to pull the tiny fruit off.

My total peach crop is Ziploc bagged (9 total). This can be another test. Right now they look good but I think that the critical time will be as they start ripening.

Bags did have drain holes cut at each corner. I think soft fruit (nectarine, peach, apricot, cherry, ect) would rot like crazy.

Compare to organza bags:

3 Likes

In case you want to give it another try on peach, cut bigger holes on both ends. Somehow, bugs do not know how to find their way in.

I don’t know how it will work out but in addition to corner cuts I have about 20-30 small ventilation holes in all my bags.

Bill,
You have more ventilation that way.

I also will use bread bags in addition to Clemson bags. Just for an experiment.

1 Like

I suspect the problem is not plastic bags but the lack of holes to properly ventilate. When the corners are cut large accumulations of water can drain but they close back up and then the humidity rises. I have noticed that the fruit bagged with the extra tiny holes tend to dry out much faster than they do without the holes. Looking forward to seeing how these work out on peaches.

I lost 3 of the 4 apples that I’d left on my Dorsett Golden apple over a preriod of a couple days. My guess is squirrels. Anyway, I used a zip lock back on the remaining apple and it’s still there. knock wood. we’re geting to the point where it’s in the 90’s already. I added some good ventilation to the bag, so any moisture will drain out. Just not sure what the long term effect will be on the fruit…

You are in a much hotter and more humid area than me. I would do bags like Auburn does. Also, squirrels here take apples with bags. Bags do not deter squirrels.

Found a new method to bag without sunburn/rot on peaches

I might have forgotten to mention two of my granddaughters and I got these from a local orchard today (Mountain View Orchard). Peaches before June. I listed the varieties in case anyone was interested.

3 Likes