Surinam Cherry (Eugenia uniflora)

I didn’t know they are so diverse. I’m more familiar with a tarter, less pumpkin shaped, rounder fruit. I was at my aunt’s and she has a very diverse garden with tamarind, papayas, and tons of other rare and exotic tropicals. She requested “only plants for presents”!

Mamey sapote

20220419_173754|690x920

1 Like

wow… that makes it sound so…

desirable…

lol

Scott

As I mentioned above, many Eugenia species are documented in “Frutas No Brasil”. The dark-fruited one is currently classified as a land race of E. uniflora. Here’s a sampling:

2 Likes

I’ve seen specimens that ripen to almost every shade between those bottom two, seems like basically a spectrum rather than distinct categories.

1 Like

There are Eugenia species that ripen to almost every shade between those bottom two.

I’m sure there are, but since those two are both uniflora it doesn’t surprise me that people in Miami have planted a wide range of uniflora phenotypes that have likely intermingled for generations. Someone should do something like your fig project but for the Surinam cherries of Miami.

I chose the word “sampling” to indicate the pictures were only a few of the E. uniflora in the text.

1 Like

Understood, but surely even the entire list in that text is only a sampling of what exists in places where they are commonly planted and grow like weeds. Seems to be a very diverse species for sure.

From the publications I’ve read, it seems that research has already been done … in Sao Paulo.

I would assume those two populations are pretty different, with at least half a century of widespread use as a landscape plant in Miami, and a constant influx of immigrants bringing seeds of their favorite fruits to add to the melting pot. Could be some hybrids non-existent anywhere else!

Best not to make assumptions until reading where the plants the University tested are from.

Anyway, here’s what remains of my surinam cherry. I plan to dig it up this summer and replace it with a pink camelia.

Well,tea can be made from the leaves and some cultures use the flowers,(maybe buds?)like a vegetable.

1 Like

I think it’s an extremely safe assumption that they didn’t collect plant samples from all over Miami and go through the hassle of exporting those to a country that has an even deeper history of growing that species of plant.

I live in Vancouver BC Surinam cherries can be kept as house plants over the winter (with grow lights) than moved outside in the summer. :slight_smile:

1 Like