Sweet Cherries 2017

Yup just let it grow… make sure to keep the weeds at bay by the roots.

Update on my cherries, we were out of town for the weekend and the lack of cat-patrol in the orchard seems to have emboldened the birds. It looks like I need cats plus tape to keep them back. I lost most of the Regina cherries.

2 Likes

Here are a couple pictures of my frustrating trees, lol!
My Rainier with bug netting. It’s not keeping the chipmunks out. They are almost ripe.

My Bing with three small nets that are helping to delay the inevitable. I can’t cover the whole tree lots of holes. The birds and chipmunks have already got most. They need at least a week yet.

5 Likes

Looks great, netting is an art and an expense. If you buy good netting the first time you are a smart orchardist.

2 Likes

Very nice job with your cherries!

2 Likes

2 25# buckets of White Gold. I just canned about half of them.

5 Likes

It might not be the best way to do things but when a deer was picking on my sweet cherry last year I covered it with a minnow seine. Just grafted my sweet cherry last year so it’s not very big yet.

2 Likes

Excuse my ignorance but what is Minnow Seine?

May I ask where did you get the blue ney, please? The holes seem smaller than those of the green American netting.

The only thing I do not like about American netting is that the holes are larger than cherries. So some cherries get stuck through those holes quite a bit.

3 Likes

It’s a net with small mess used to catch minnows, small fish.

2 Likes

The robin that lives in my yard would squawk at me when i would go near my sweet cherry tree. It built another nest and it has 3 more eggs inside. Seems late.

I pruned the heck out of it…next y ear should be much easier to cover.

1 Like

Same place but it’s called bug netting. It’s plastic. I know what you mean about cherries poking through. I like the bug net. I need to buy more nets. I’m getting larger ones if possible. I get wasps eating my nectarines, peaches and plums. That’s why I got that net. I spent $100 on four nets I believe, but I need more, so I’m going to look at larger nets.

1 Like

That means the crows or hawks got her babies. They will keep on trying to get a successful brood.

1 Like

I’d buy more of those blue nets if they were larger

1 Like

They have 16’ x 50’ in the blue big bug net for like $75. The one I have is 8’ x 50’.

We have been getting rain. The brown rot is spreading fast. I lost whole branches of cherries to it. I picked them and made a pie. The cherries are not that pretty but I’ll show pictures anyway. I never delt with brown rot. Now I wonder if it will ruin my other fruit like peaches. When I was picking it was coming of the rotted cherries like mushroom spores do when you step on a dry mushroom, but not as intense. I could smell it too.
Just under one gallon. 5 lbs.

Some of the brown rot must be on these too but I’m eatting them! I can’t taste it, but I could smell it before washing them. I’ll make some pies.

Finally after six years I made my first sweet cherry pie! It’s all from scratch.
Growing sweet cherries is a pain in the ass, Lol!

9 Likes

You could cut a 16x50 in half and get 2 16x25s

1 Like

That’s what I was thinking.

That pie is still cooling off. It sure smells good! I think I’ll go out and pick all the rotten ones and spray the trees, and the ground. I finally got to try out my cherry pitter. Half the cherries where to big. They must make it for tart cherries. It’s a Leifheit.

2 Likes

The brown rot continue to spread if you do not spray. I had it on peaches first and did not do anything to it. By 2015, I lost all my peaches to BR like @thecityman does this year so I can sympathize with him.

A year after I had on peaches, I saw it on cherries. Last year I did not have any peaches so I sprayed Indar on cherries. No rot at all.

This year I Indar sprayed on cherries. I bagged peaches so I can’t spray directly on peaches. I sprayed the bags, anyway. I won’t be surprised if I have BR on peaches in the bags. I sprayed Triazicide and Immunox before I bagged but Immunox is not for BR. I’ll have to wait and see.

6 Likes

Thank you for the info on bug netting. I’ll keep that in mind.

I am down to one cherry tree and a brand new Juliet.

2 Likes

I have a Leifheit. If my cherries were much larger, they wouldn’t have gone thru

2 Likes

The cherries don’t look that bad, really and you can smell brown rot on the fruit while its hanging on the tree as well. You rinse off the smell and some spores from the not badly affected cherries which you did. The pie should be great! Show me a pie that isn’t great???

2 Likes