Sweet Potato Grafts

This is a graft I have been considering doing for some time now and I just got around to trying it out. I’m not sure how it will turn out but you never know unless you give it a try. Several colorful sweet potato types are used in the landscape but I suspect the roots are secondary in quality (not sure) to regular potatoes intended for consumption like Beauregard. Our long growing season is ideal for growing these types of potatoes if planted early. These will be planted late but this round I just wanted to test the method out. Hope to have a beautiful landscape plant along with a great tasting potato. All comments are welcome.

Grafts

Internet picture

8 Likes

Sweetpotatoes often are grafted onto morning glories to induce flowering => seed set. You could try the reverse - grafting morning glories onto sweetpotatoes. Not sure they will produce any useful storage roots that way, though.

5 Likes

Learn something new every day. Thanks for the tip.

2 Likes

They appear to be starting to grow.

7 Likes

Follow up picture of sweet potato grafts.

4 Likes

My first time to see a sweet potato bloom. Looks like it’s relative the morning glory. Will it make seed that can be planted?
IMG_20170922_064235 text - bloom

2 Likes

Frost next week so I decided to dig up my sweet potatoes. They didn’t make very many but I put a minimum amount of effort into growing them.

5 Likes