Sweet potato harvest

At least the barrel would keep the upper ones out of reach of the rabbits.

Its probley a little late to mention this but Sweet Potato leaves unlike potato leaves are edible.

https://www.epicurious.com/archive/blogs/editor/2012/08/cooking-with-sweet-potato-greens.html

Iā€™d wish I knew about the leaves. It sounds delicious.

They are so tender and lush too. I knew that I could eat them and forgot. I bet they are still good in the pile out there. It didnā€™t frost last night and itā€™s raining. Iā€™ll pick some to put in a salad with all my sweet peppers that are ripe or at least one or two. I planted a rain gutter grow in the middle of July and it is now getting ripe. Tomatoes are coming in tomorrow to finish ripening in the house. I already got some nice ones from it. Itā€™s Four foot up in the air and no blight. The cabbage I think is speeding up with the cooler weather. Iā€™ll put all the peppers right in the freezer with no protection. They stay good for over a year like that.

@northwoodswis4 I did have some of the lower whites growing along the ground and the rabbits!) and deer would eat them but the leader luckily kept going. I had chicken wire for the most part and deer once reached over to eat them.

This is how it looked on July 22.

2 Likes

We ate some sweet potato leaves this year. Very mild flavor and a good healthy option for green smoothies or blanched greens once spinach has bolted and other greens have succumb to the heat. They are also very prolific and donā€™t seem to mind being picked.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve heard that the leaves were good to eatā€¦ havenā€™t tried them personally. Not sure Iā€™ll get a chance either, something has been skeletonizing the leaves on mine.

Finally seeing a sweet potato blossom and some vine yellowing. hoping Iā€™ll be able to harvest these pretty soon.

If you harvest them before they bloom are they not as good?

that I donā€™t know. thought I read somewhere online that it was a good idea to wait for them to bloom then give them another couple of weeks, but this is the first time Iā€™ve ever seriously tried to grow them so Iā€™m just winging it.