T-budding tutorial

Tell me on the root stock are you grafting to this years new growth or are you grafting to last years growth. How successful are the T bud grafts on 3 year growth 4th years and 5th years growth on the root stock.

1 Like

T buds on thick, older bark are a poor bet. Best to do T buds on current seasons vigorous shoots. Or on any current shoot that is bigger diameter than the scions.

3 Likes

That should help a lot.

Have another question for you is there a temperature above which you do not t bud graft?
Or another way of putting it is what is a good temperature range to do a t bud graft?

I’ve never given a thought to temperature. If the bark is slipping it’s warm enough. And I’ve never noticed any negative effects of heat. Usually the buds are in a position that’s shaded. I won’t want the bud baking in 100+ heat and sun. If it’s hot and your concerned cover the bud area with aluminum foil for two weeks after placing it.

4 Likes

One of my Flavor King T buds grafted on Nadia grew into two branches. They now have seven fruits!

8 Likes

Another T bud on Candy Heart Pluerry has four fruits. These guys are smaller though!

6 Likes

Nice, clean,no bug bites fruits

1 Like

@JesseS

What did you use as rootstock for the cornelian cherry grafts?

Cornus Mas seedlings

1 Like

This is a follow up on the tbud pears above. The rootstock has had significant influence over the scion. I’ve cut off growth growing straight down or corkscrew like. I’m very thankful for the tbud tutorial because I’m very happy with the results. These wild pear trees caused me a lot of trouble through the years in regards to grafting them. I’ve never tied the limbs down or bent them in anyway and yet you can see the growth is very erratic.

5 Likes

@fruitnut
It’s unusual but i already have a couple of fruit buds this year on a tree i t-budded! That must be a new record for European pears to tbud late in 2016 and have flower buds by spring 2019! The same partial incompadibility causes pears to fruit quickly on quince.

5 Likes

@fruitnut
Maybe your thinking what i am and i could use that incompatible type of pear as an interstem. Would not wait years for pears or deal with the problems that come with quince. Fireblight is not an issue with these seedling callery.

4 Likes

By the way this is the influence the rootstock has over my small yellow pear! I did not bend the branches. If you look hard enough you will spot the pear buds growing mostly at the branch tips. .

3 Likes

Here is an updated photo showing the excessive dwarfing and budding that occurred! Tbudded in 2016 and going to bloom in 2019!

4 Likes

Clark, it won’t open for me. Any suggestions?

1 Like

Try that @marknmt. I removed and added it again.

Thanks @clarkinks!

1 Like

A big thank you again to @fruitnut aka Steven who is responsible for these fruitlets being on this tree thanks to this tbud tutorial thread! Tree is loaded with first year fruitlets!

11 Likes

Bark is slipping, so im trying some buds on an antonovka for practice!

12 Likes