The 2017 fig season

That’s what we all say.

2 Likes

A user on our figs is sending me black beauty 10. Looking forward to it. I have almost everything I want, a few hardy figs not really that rare and I should be all set. Once my trees are bigger I’ll be offering cuttings or even plants.

I’m not usually very forward with my emotions… But today I told compost socks that I love them :wink:

Don’t mind the lettuce, it’s for seed.

8 Likes

All these were grown from cuttings this year. These are about four to six months old and about 15 of them have small figs on them too. I am not sure that tiny figs will ripe this year or not. These are getting good 8 hours plus direct sunlight daily. I heard that they need about 100 days to ripe and I think we may have that many days left before the first frost.

10 Likes

Wow nice job! I had about that many last year. I mostly traded this year. A few only started from cuttings I got an LSU Red plant because it is notorious for not rooting. Has figs now yeah!

3 Likes

Thanks Drew51 you have very nice plants too. I have looked them so many time.

2 Likes

My second tree with Breba’s Valle Negra. Almost ready

3 Likes

Wow, those figs look great! Are they all grown in pots wrapped with foil?

I have two potted figs and I feel like I can’t keep them fully watered. The plant grows a moderate amount then puts its figs on and is done growing for the year. Does anyone do the method described in figs 4 fun and if so, how are the results?

1 Like

Use larger containers, use a slower draining mix. Use light colored containers. I wanted to refresh all my rainwater storage as it was getting old, so today I watered all plants with rainwater. it took about 2 hours. I usually only use the rainwater for blueberries, and have 10 plants, so not a big deal.
Sometimes you need to water twice a day, tough in containers at times. I have been doing it so long, no big deal. I have about 150 containers this year.

3 Likes

I just wanted to update my air layers I removed, all are doing well one week after separation. New leaves are forming on all of them. I removed most leaves on two of them.

3 Likes

Thanks to a good spanish friend i have 3 varieties from Sierra de la Contraviesa in the Spanish Granada province.

One of them - Brevera Blanca - is well known in that area for it’s big and very tasty brebas.

My trees of this variety have yet to produce (they are still very young) but, meanwhile, here’s what i can expect in this youtube video filmed in that region.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNFSF2-kiMQ

2 Likes

Jaime, I presume this is not the same as brebera branca, but a different fig.
They look a little unripe. I wonder, if they would be better tasting, if allowed
to ripen more.

1 Like

I would think so although the video looked like commercial production and like all other fruit is picked early.

Just ate my first Red Lebanese Bekaa Valley breba this morning and it
was delicious. Very rich and sweet with a unique flavor that lingers in your
mouth, much better than the ones I had last year. This fig was much better
the the RdB’ s I’ve been eating. This is a second year in ground plant that
is loaded. Drew, I hope yours are as good as the ones from this tree.

4 Likes

I was impressed last year, the first year. It can only get better. My breba fell off as my plants got hit by a frost. It is full of main crop figs though, maybe 30 of them. Something to note Unk. Teramo, and Valle Negra held unto breba and I just had my first Valle Negra breba, named right! The fig was good, but because it is a young tree I keep it watered well. I keep thinking once these trees are mature, in my case in a 30 gallon container, I can let them dry more as the tree will not really suffer,

4 Likes

Ray, That fig has nothing to do with Bebera Branca. Only the name is similar in our language (Brevera Blanca means White Breba)

Here’s a photo of Bebera Branca (taken in his home land - Algarve). My friend description of the fruit: " Sweet, flavored and extremely syrupy. At the point of ripeness shown on the pictures, it is rather fresh and fruity, a mix of delicious flavors from the dark berries to hints of passion fruit."

The main crop approaches 100 g and can exceed 150 g if caprified.

I agree with you, the Brevera Blanca in the video could use a few more days of ripening (probably are being picked to be sold). Nevertheless, they should be just fine tasting even like that. My spanish friend has told me that they are among the very best in terms of flavor. I hope that, next year, i can taste them for myself.

8 Likes

Jaime,
I have several figs on Brebera Branca and can’t wait to taste them.
I hope they’ll ripen up without the wasp.

3 Likes

Ray,

Those on the photo were caprified but Bebera Branca variety is a common and can mature figs without the wasp.
They mature late August in Algarve (zone 10), but they tend to mature later in the season in zones with colder summers.

I also have a few growing up:

This is what we can expect if they are not pollinated (they don’t get all that beautiful syrup, but are still very good tasting)

5 Likes

Jaime,
That’s fantastic. I can’t wait until mine look like that. My mouth
is watering already. You just made my day!

Yes a nice looking fig. I may have to pick one up at some point.

2 Likes