The 2017 fig season

To me that is how you want them!

3 Likes

Great read! Awesome plants and beautiful fruits.

My Marseilles Black VS literally went from green fruits to purple overnight.

Dax

8 Likes

I just ate the first good fig I’ve ever grown outdoors. A Strawberry Verte that I’d rate a 10/10. They don’t look like a 10 and I wasn’t expecting much. The skin was the best tasting and sweetest part of the fig.

20 Likes

Wow, that’s a different kind of awesomeness, Steven.

Congrats!

Dax

1 Like

Have FN you tried many of the other I guess adriatic type figs? JH Adriatic, Smith, etc?

My SV for some reason didn’t produce any figs, I know these are usually prolific. I think what happened is they got hit by a frost this year. A few others wimped out too, but most produced figs. I have JH Adriatic, which also won’t get fruit this year. It’s growing very strange, it also didn’t like the frost. Whereas Battaglia Green looks fine.
My first good figs were the brebas to Terramo and Valle Negra, the VN being really sweet for a breba, excellent! These are the only two that held unto breba after the frost.
Glad it happened because that frost tolerance is something i could use in these parts!
So for me these are keepers because of that alone.
During the frost on some they lost all leaves, it was a fairly hard frost, my bad, I should have pulled them in. Again though I gained a lot of knowledge from it.

1 Like

What has changed this year?

I’ve got JH and had some fruit one yr. It was good. Battaglia Green and the various Paradiso figs have fruit very similar to SV. They are all excellent.

We had less winter freeze damage than normal. Despite being in SW Texas this is poor fig country for that reason.

2 Likes

I figured… Adriatic JH is all set to have a great year, they got frost protection in October and November, all of the others in that row got fried before Thanksgiving.

2 Likes

My3 rd year Paradiso have a few fruit. I am not sure if they would ripen in time. Last year, they did nit.

The year before one did and the other did not. I picked the ripened one a bit too early but it still tasted really good.

How many weeks/ months for it Paradiso figs to ripen? Anyone know?

Hi Mamuang,

Here is the infos that may helps.

The name Paradiso Fig originated from a tale about an old man in Italy that sat under his fig tree every morning eating figs and bread for breakfast. People passing would ask him if he was alright and his reply was, “This is my Paradise (Paradiso).” Genova Fig originates from the Northern Mediterranean, in Genova City. This plant yields an abundant amount of large fruit. The first crop is a fist size fruit, long shaped with white/golden skin and pink flesh. It is very sweet and juicy. Leaves are shaped like the palm of a hand. This plant bears two crops in August and September, Lowest zone is 5 and 6.

Tony

1 Like

Celeste and Black Bethlehem coming in now. Both are good, but we’ve had a lot of rain and surprisingly cooler weather here so not at their best. My family likes Black Bethlehem better, although Celeste are sweeter, and the darn birds seem to agree. My netting isn’t big enough and they get in and get at least half. Arghhhh!

They are ripe, but might be better if I let them hang another day. Unfortunately with the birds I can’t risk it.

5 Likes

Thanks, Tony. I looked up info. It looks like there are several variations of Paradiso. I got mine from Joe Morle so I think it will be true to label.

I don’t expect second crop. I just hope rhe main crop ripen in time. I’ll be happy.

3 Likes

First figs from a one year old in ground Baud’s Sucre Verte. Very sweet, but not
sugar sweet Excellent fig and a keeper.

6 Likes

I have a fig in the front that has ants at the eye. It’s soft but hasn’t started to droop. Should I just check it twice a day until it droops or are the ants telling me it’s ripe and they’ll steal it on me?

1 Like

Some breba crop figs.
Unknown.

Vista

Lyndhurst White

5 Likes

Putting some Tanglefoot on the fig tree trunk will keep the ants away. Having a single trunk makes it easier.

1 Like

Is that something big box stores carry? I don’t have any. I have not successfully harvested a fully ripe fig, and this one is a beautiful size. It’s on my tiny Col de Dame Gris, and it’s just this morning showing color. I expect it to get very dark so I am watching it like a hawk, but I need to protect it from bugs and birds!

1 Like

You can also try some diatomaceous earth. Sprinkle it around the
base of the tree. Ants won’t cross through it.

1 Like

Hmm I may have some bed bug powder that is fine DE, I will try that.

1 Like

DE works as long as it’s dry,

1 Like