The 2017 fig season

Well that probably means until this afternoon but I can look for something at the store to put on after the rain. Anyone have any guess on how long it will be from starting to color to time to pick? I have gotten the impression it can go very quickly.

1 Like

I got this fig bush from my wife’s grandmother in the mid 80’s. I would like to know the variety. Some facts on the fig. She would have got it in the 20’s or 30’s. she lived in South Carolina. When the plant was young it would freeze back to the ground. Now that it is old there is little to no die back, this in Nashville. With the exception of this year it always produces two crops.
It is sweet with an open eye. What was popular 80 years ago?
Here some pictures

4 Likes

That’s a Brown Turkey.

3 Likes

Finally eating Panache fig, well worth the wait! This is such a beautiful tree, very vigorous, and the figs are super tasty. I love the variegated wood and green striped figs! I planted it by the BBQ and when often entertaining, we get lots of compliments on the tree. I am currently using @Richards method, pruning to a small stump every year, and its really working well. I do not need a 30 foot fig tree, and with this method it grows to about 8 feet every year. Also discovered something awesome today that I did not think we had!! No wonder we like figs so much! We found them in the eye.

10 Likes

Awesome fig, I like the looks of the variegated figs and they also all seem to be good figs from reports I have seen. My small plant will produce a few figs this year, but not an ideal place for the plant. Still I enjoy the looks, it’s a keeper!

2 Likes

Agree

1 Like

Wow, so many good looking figs!

I have two potted figs which do okay. I think I will try and get cuttings into the ground next year and see if I have any better success.

Quick story, there was an old Italian lady who lived in a row home in South Philly. Her entire back yard was one giant fig tree. It was as high as her second story windows and covered with figs. She said her dad brought it over from Italy when they came so it was like 75 years old. Sadly it was killed down to the ground several winters ago and she had it removed. I think all that concrete in the city causes a hot spot which allowed it to survive all those years.

3 Likes

I’m lucky to have wild caprifigs growing on the edge of my yard which the local fig wasps use to pollinate my fig trees. That allows my Desert King to ripen its main crop, a feature I wasn’t expecting when I planted the tree.

7 Likes

Can anyone tell me what this is?

2 Likes

Lyndhurst White breba, juicy, sweet and delish…

8 Likes

Looks like a gourd! Big’in!

2 Likes

It looks huge. Nice catch.

Tony

3 Likes

Here is the LW breba with a Desert King breba above. Truthfully, that was my 8 yr old son’s hand in the preceding pic😉.

4 Likes

What is the @Richard method? The tree looks great. How long it takes to grow a tree like that? Is it in ground or in pot? How old is the tree? The trunk looks big.

2 Likes

Wow, is this for real?? It is destined to be shared. A sharing fig. How does it taste?

2 Likes

How does the main crop taste like compare to the breba?

1 Like
2 Likes

In winter every branch is pruned to about 4 inches from trunk. This method is recommended for long growing seasons and you will not get Brebas if I remember right. Because this variety does not produce brebas it’s perfect.This year I will try and root some of my extra cuttings for rootstock. I plan on grafting some really good varieties to the roots, but will have to join a fig forum for those rare varieties. I have been looking at ourfigs, lots of info there and good people. We have the fig wasp here so it just makes sense to start some more figs. So far I have, Paneche, VDB, Condria, and Strawberry verte. I pulled the Condria last year because it was inferior here, the other 3 are actually really good, and will keep forever. That Panache fig tree is 4 years old and planted in the ground. My VDB is 6 years old and my best producer. All my figs are planted in ground.

2 Likes

My VdB is in 2nd year. No fruit except 1 breba. And it is a 5.5’ stick all the way up with no lateral. I think I let it grow too much. How do I put it back in shape this winter?

Cut back to 4" … wow … And it grows all back in 1 season.

1 Like

They look awesome bouncing all back like nothing. I am in SoCal about 15 mins from the beaches. Right now, my figs are in 1st and 2nd years in pots. They mostly grow like a stick straight up. Is it too late in the season to do anything? Should I pluck the apical bud to force laterals?

The VdB is 5.5’ plus a feet for the pot. I didn’t realize how tall it gets till I straighten it out with a taller stake.

1 Like