The Italian Prune Plums are in!

Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

My husband and I ate a jar in one sitting. Its that good! Made 16 half pints.

1 Like

Oh oh. :open_mouth:

1 Like

:smiling_imp:

I thought that sounded dangerous. But it’s only about 2 oz. of actual prune plum apiece plus less sugar than I see some people put in a cup of coffee. So, I guess you two could still carry on with your normal daily routines today. :smile:

Thanks Mrs.G,for your post.I’m looking forward next year,to get some fruit and trying out the recipe. Brady

1 Like

It was a small jar. Yikes!

Such great time of year when you discover how many fruit you actually have on your trees. I thought I only had 1 plum coming in, but today I noticed I actually have 6 Italians! I was gone in Europe when my plum trees really needed protection from all the aphids that ravaged them.

6 Likes

They are the BEST for cooking

1 Like

I can totally relate. I thought I had zero green gages, but there are at least 8 or so. Likewise with a few other plums. Got a Howard Miracle yesterday and saw 2 more.

Its been a bad year for plums, especially European.

3 Likes

Is this the time of year that Howard miracle ripens in our are, have yet to get any on mine. I think I need to plant another Japanese plum to insure pollination.

1 Like

At our arboretum, a 45 minute drive South, I think they ripened 3 or 4 weeks ago.

I got a decent set of Shiro and AU Producer, but almost no Howard Miracle on the same trees, and no Santa Rosa (not even sure if it bloomed, but it probably did).

1 Like

Do prune plums need time off the tree to develop flavor, or should they be processed immediately after harvest?

1 Like

A great year here for plums - I don’t know what to do with them all.

Except the prune plums, I ALWAYS know what to do with those.

Went to make my daily plum check, came face to face with nasty Black Knot on a twig. Easy to cut out, tho.

2 Likes

I pick mine a little early and leave them on my counter for about a week, then cook them! And yes, more plum flavor develops.

2 Likes

They’re best when they soften and the flesh turns from green to gold

3 Likes

Perfect description but just not too soft.

1 Like

They were sweet but tangy!