The pears you may not have heard of and should consider growing

Yuri,

Welcome to the forum!
It is nice to know we’ll have members living in Russia. I lived in Moscow region for many years until my family came to US. Reading Russian garden forums it looks like there is an explosion of new cultivars of winter hardy fruits, so I sometimes feel jealous about them. @clarkinks there are many new varieties of pears were selected. Previously when I grew up, pears we not popular and very rare, mainly because they were not hardy enough (yes, Briansk was considered the northern border for them) and Chizhovskaya was one of the few pears that grew easily in Moscow region. Now it is different, and there are varieties that are grown near Ural mountains at zone 3. They also selecting winter hardy peaches, sweet cherries, persimmons, walnuts, etc. A lot of work is done by the fruit enthusiasts, gardening is very popular hobby in Russia.
@yri32, we will be interested to hear back about the other varieties that you have.
@clarkinks, in the context of the variety name Petrakov is not the city, but the last name of the person, i.e. the variety name is A gift to Petrakov.

6 Likes

Thank you all for the great explanations. The location & names makes perfect sense now. Pears look like very good varities!

3 Likes

Another interesting form of the Bryansk pear. There are only two copies of the tree, including my own.
Home Late (Домашняя Поздняя).
Presumably a derivative of the famous variety Nikolai Kruger. This is not Nikolai Kruger, namely another hybrid.Pears are very large. The hybrid is yielding. Autumn maturity. Winterproof. Compatible with the quince. Because of the disadvantages - the rounded shape and sagging when ripening with a variety is not recorded.

6 Likes

5 Likes

Autumn hybrid without a name. The origin is not known. Very tasty pear. Early autumn ripening. Very yieldless without periodicity. With a quince is not compatible which is a disadvantage.

6 Likes

I would graft something like Anjou to quince and then the incompatible pear you called Autumn hybrid to Anjou What pears are quince compatible?

1 Like

How does it taste?

1 Like

Very beautiful.

1 Like

Frankly, the taste is weak. A huge pear with a weak taste. Perhaps the soil conditions do not fit. Or there is not enough heat. Some varieties are very dependent on the soil. For example. I have a very good variety Devo. Pears are large and beautiful and the taste I can not understand. I like the variety. Harvest, without periodicity, compatible with a quince.

6 Likes

You can make an insert from a compatible grade, but I’m not interested. This complicates the vaccination and is more expensive than the seedling. Now there are enough varieties compatible with a quince and there is a choice.

1 Like

The English spelling of the name is Devoe. According to Joseph Postman (curator of the ARS pear collection), as grown in Oregon, it has creamy flavor with a hint of vanilla.

1 Like

@yri32,
Here are a couple of photos of interstem pear grafts I did last year. We have some callery that can be difficult to graft directly but I grow a small yellow pear that I use as an excellent interstem.
35E5ADCC-EE8D-43D6-936E-C5786D03827671D46CEA-45B6-4B48-B8AB-D96A0252660C!

3 Likes

Growing several tyson trees now, abate fetel, forelle, doyenne comice, doyenne gris, carrick, eldorado,etc. My favorite hard to grow variety is my clapps favorite.

2 Likes

I tried Abate Fetel last year too, if it survives the winter.

1 Like

Why is the Clapp’s Favorite hard to grow? Is it because of your your region or just in general?
I have also heard that the Doyenne Comice was a very hard pear to grow and to have the nice taste the ones grown in Washington state have. I have been leery of trying one of the Comice trees out here in Ohio. I hate to waste 4-5 years and find out it was a dud here.

2 Likes

They both grow very well but both are highly susceptible to fireblight. At this link http://phytopath.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/cpds-archive/vol57/CPDS_Vol_57_No_1_2_(9-12)1977.pdf see the bottom chart
C. Classes 1.0 to 4.9 (fire blight penetrated trunk and scaffold limbs; productivity severely affected)
Bosc 5 4.9
Aurora 4 4.5
Buerrce Henri Courcelle 2 4.5
V25021 2 4.5
Magness 9 4.5
Merton Pride 3 4.4
Souvenir du Congress 3 4.3
Fertility 3 3.8
Flemish Beauty 3 3.8
Highland 4 3.7
Precose de Trevoux 2 3.5
Santa Maria 3 3.4
Devoe 3 3.2
President Devoilaine 2 3.0
Sheldon 3 2.8
President Barabe 2 2.5
Bartlett 6 2.2
Doyenne d’Ete 3 2.2
Dr. Jules Guyot 3 1.6
Starkcrimson (Clapp’s Favorite sport) 5 1.5
Clapp’s Favorite 2 1.5
Gorham 2 1.4
Buerr6 Hardy 2 1.3
Dessertina 2 1.3
Phileson 2 1

2 Likes

21476161_1978580128822402_1396730451_n
I collected some scion yesterday from someone that wants a old pear tree propagated. They love the taste of fruit off this old neglected tree which was about 25’ perfect with no hint of disease. It may be worth taking note of. Here is a picture of the fruit!

8 Likes

What do you think it might be? Seems small and round, is it sweet?

1 Like

I will leave it to Clark and the other pear experts to guess the variety.

Here is the description they gave: “We like to eat them straight off the tree. They are crunchy but very sweet and juicy. They will go more yellow and soften on the tree. At that stage about half of them are good but the rest start to get dark brown rotten spots. In the house they stay good a long time. They will soften eventually. We usually eat them before they reach that point” Ripens in September.

2 Likes

@39thparallel
Without seeing the leaves it’s hard to say but the description tells me a lot. Remember pear taste buds vary and one persons excellent pear may not be my idea of a perfect pear. To further complicate things there are many seedlings. I will graft it on a big tree Mike so we can taste the fruit when you get a chance and we will figure out what it is. It may be wonderful or could be awful. I hope it’s all it’s said to be. If I was going by picture alone without history I could name 20+ without research that look somewhat like it eg. So- sweet Our HARDIEST European Pear - SO SWEET – Green Barn Farm
It’s possible it might also be an orient that was not thinned
http://dallasfruitgrower.typepad.com/dallas-fruit-vegetable/peaches/

You can see another example below where they believe the pear is shipova (it’s likely not since shipova is red blushed). I see a slight red blush on one fruit which if grown in shade would be possible.
pear with hazelnut and cinnamon crumble – The Circus Gardener's Kitchen

6 Likes