The trees they came a one by one

MidPride peach on Citation rootstock.

5 Likes

Looks magnificent!!!

1 Like

So what are those others trees? More photos!

1 Like

And… What kind of watering system is that?

Mike

Do you just flood those craters? every so often? That looks pretty slick. Doesn’t look like you have any weeding issues there.

Do you or have you thought of, using a mulch of some type (woodchips/etc)?

Drew … Well, the title says “one by one” so expect more photos … one at a time :wink:

In answer to the questions about my irrigation system … I recently posted the following guide on my website. It is a commercial site, so expect some shameless advertising:
How to plant and maintain fruit trees in subtropical environments.

Here’s my young Cot-N-Candy Aprium, also on Citation rootstock:

1 Like

Goodness, Richard, we’re neighbors! Are you part of the N. San Diego CRFG chapter by chance? How funny. Like your tree set up, but seems like a lot of water for our area? Any reason why you’re using a flooding technique instead of more efficient micro-sprinklers (versus drip)? Days of flood irrigation are sort of long past in S. California due to our water shortage and cost of water. How frequently are you flooding these wells? Also, this is only practical I think, if you’re on a flat surface - would not work for those of us planted on a slope so much.

My water usage is very low, I’m in Tier 1 on my water bill. Micro-sprinklers waste water through evaporation. The water I apply goes underneath the mulch and sinks into the ground. At present I’m watering once every two weeks.

I’ve installed plenty of fruit trees on slopes – over 20 at my previous home in Rancho Penasquitos. Utilizing stackable retaining bricks (e.g., Legacy block) is the key.

I’ve been a member of the North County CRFG for two years. This winter I was the person handing out free seed packages at the scion exchange.
:sunny:

Richard, the type of micro sprinklers I’m referring to are more like drips, but distribute the water out 360 degrees to the drip line. UC Riverside uses this system, as do many other commercial orchards, instead of flood irrigation. But, still impressed with your nice trees. I probably would not do that much digging out on my slopes to put in stackable retaining blocks - too many trees to do that at this point - but if I had to do it over, again, I would terrace my trees.

And shoot, have to get back to the meetings and say hi.

1 Like

The micro-sprinkler system is cost-effective for orchards, but less water efficient that the method I’ve implemented – which is not the flood irrigation of days gone by. Have a look at the link in my post above for details.

See you Friday?

Maybe. I might stop by and check your system out. Considering the issues we’re facing with water, I might try to start switching some of my trees over to something I can use every 2 weeks.

@Richard, nice set up! I’m not nearly that neat and tidy. Is that municipal mulch or compost inside the rings?

Nice Richard, sometime also post pics of that African basil in another thread. I want to talk about basils sometime. Propagation etc. I have added a number of basils this year. Hard to fnd, and not happy with plants I got, weak, woody, I need to restart them. I need some advice.

MrClint, that’s cured compost from a local greenery facility.

Richard, from El Corazon?

Sharon, Mary, and I have known each other for quite awhile. I really like their “perennial mulch” and “humic compost” products and I’m certainly going to purchase some in the near future. However, the pile I have in my driveway at the moment is from Escondido.

Minnie Royal and Royal Lee Cherries on Newroot rootstock.

1 Like

Wow, come on over and do my yard would you? Nice! You can see how well all was planned out. I myself have a 5 minute attention span, I have like 35 projects going and they all look bad, even when finished. Are you sure those trees are real? :astonished:

3 Likes

I’ve rooted basil in water on a windowsill many times and also in a peat pot sitting directly in water (which tends to be better)

Only basil I’ve ever failed with has been the variegated one. It has been a weaker grower for me. Even spicy globe rooted in peat pots in water for me.

Chills

1 Like

To the right of the cherry trees is a Gold Kist apricot. In the foreground is my supervisor “Littlefoot” - a duck-tolling retreiver. Between him and the tree is an irrigation outlet for a potted plant I moved out of sight for sake of the photograph. The irrigation outlet for the tree is near the wall.

1 Like