The trees they came a one by one

Richard, what a wonderful “helper” you have! Great breed of dog, too. Lost my Gold Kist inexplicably last year. So disappointed.

1 Like

Adjacent to the apricot tree is a Flavor Grenade pluot.

1 Like

Moving right along - literally - here is a Spice Zee Nectaplum on Citation rootstock I planted bareroot in January 2015.

1 Like

I planted a Spice Zee the first week of March and it already has several new branches 7-8 inches long. Are these especially vigorous trees? So far it’s well outpacing all my others. I had hoped to keep this guy fairly petite since it’s in a somewhat tight space next to my raised veggie beds.

Mine have been vigorous. Probably more so than most nectarines. I have it on several rootstock and all grow rapidly. But they can be controlled via pruning and cultural practices.

My Spice Zee grew 7 feet just last year!

Guess I have some aggressive pruning in my future!

Beauty Plum is a sport of Improved Santa Rosa. I prefer it to the latter. Mine is on Citation rootstock. I planted it bareroot in January 2015. It also serves as a pollenizer for my Flavor Grenade Pluot.

1 Like

In the background of some of these pictures you might have noticed a vine trained on the fencing. It is the “Frederick” cultivar of Passiflora edulis. In this photo you see 3 trunks coming out of the mulch which originate on a single plant.

2 Likes

Richard, how old is Frederick? What has been your experience with the fruit?

I must say that the leaves of yours are nice and dark and abundant. It looks like what I’d expect of a strong and healthy passiflora. I haven’t been able to locate any flowers or fruits in the pics, though.

I had one arrive from Raintree 3 weeks ago and its color is weak - a pale yellow-green. The new leaves are a bit greener than the existing ones, but it doesn’t seem to be in any hurry to increase its pigmentation.

I planted this one about a year ago from a 3 gallon pot. The fruit is awesome - typically 3" long by 2.5" wide. I also grew one at my previous home. There it proved hardy to about a dozen brief overnight encounters with 30F.

The current plant spans about 50 feet of fence. It is just starting to bud out. I’d estimate there’s about 200 buds. So far about 5 of them are opening.

Snow Queen Nectarine on Citation rootstock.

1 Like

Desert Dawn Nectarine on Citation rootstock.

1 Like

Here is a Black Beauty cultivar of Black Mulberry Bush (Morus nigra) on Russian Mulberry rootstock. These plants are grown wholesale by L.E. Cooke (Black Beauty Fruiting Mulberry).

2 Likes

I’ll get one of these one day. Hardy enough to grow here.

Richard, Doesn’t Black Beauty mulberry go by another name Persian Mulberry?

The Black Beauty I have,was growing fine for the last couple of years,but looks like the root stock died over the Winter.The upper most of the plant is still alive.
Thanks for pointing out the Russian root stock.I have some and saved some BB cuttings.Maybe I can get another to grow. Brady

Bradybb, My black beauty was rated zone 4 hardiness, you are in warmer zone than me, why yours die to the ground?

I believe they are two different cultivars of the same species.

Annie,that is still a sad mystery to me.Brady