The trees they came a one by one

Violette de Bordeaux Fig from DWN.

1 Like

Panache Fig from DWN

1 Like

Iā€™m excited this year as I will be getting a fig that I can plant here!! Yea! Many will grow here, so far a friend here has had his best luck with Florea, so he is going to air layer a piece for me. This year we got down to -16 and he had some die back, but not all of it died to the ground. Even if it does, it will produce some fruit anyway. I will have others in pots, brought in the house. I canā€™t wait though to get it. I will not be putting in the ground to maybe next spring.

Hurray!

Thanks. Nice looking plants, curious how they will look in a few years.
Iā€™m also excited as some of my fruit buds survived the -16F temps this winter. Not all but some. My blackberries were pretty much all killed this time last spring, but this year my protection techniques worked and Iā€™m going to have a decent crop. itā€™s going to be a good year.

Richard, are these trees in your back yard?

Every one.

Boy that Fig looks healthy! Thatā€™s a neat looking tree. I never seen a fig tree before. Richards Sunny Oasis!

they are both Morus nigraā€™s

i couldnā€™t see if this mulberry is fruiting, and i presume it is. If it is fruiting, has any of them ripened yet?

It fruits a few times a year. So far none this year.

thanks. Reason i ask is because have two varieties in our yard, black beauty and noir of spain, and both are on their third year. They fruit only once a year(spring), but the past two years, fruits will only reach red color and then drop off before they turn purple. Was thinking they get aborted because the specimens i have are still tiny, not much more barely 2 ft tall. So hoping current fruits would finally reach purple stage.
i also have gerardi dwarf and pakistani, and they will bear fruits to maturity on the same year they are planted, regardless of size.

Sounds like a cultural problem.

Janice Seed-Less Kadota Fig from DWN

1 Like

sure does, and sure wish i knew what, lol

How old is the Kadota? And how tall

Kadota and Janice Seedless Kadota are two different cultivars. Mine is the latter. I started it as a cutting in 2012 from a tree at my previous home. In January 2015 I transplanted it from a 25 gallon pot to the present location. Overall it is about 4 feet tall.

Richard, how is the taste difference between the two different figs?

In blind taste tests people rate JSK well above K.

Gordon Apple on M-111 rootstock. This tree is essentially evergreen in my location. Discernable on the extreme left and right are fruit sets from December. The tree is also noticeably in bloom. I expect 3 crops this year.

2 Likes