Tillers

Cub Cadet is owned and manufactured by MTD. That being said, the Craftsman riding mowers are built by both MTD and Husqvarna. As a prior owner of a Sears Hometown store, I can tell you the MTD built riders were far more reliable than the Husqvarna models. That may be entirely dependent upon the manufacturing specs Sears requested from AYP. The rear tine Craftsman tiller looks exactly like the Cub Cadet tiller. However, the Craftsman tiller has a model number beginning with 917. That indicates it was manufactured by Husqvarna (AYP) and both Husq and AYP are owned by Electrolux. I never could figure out how an MTD product and an AYP product were so similar. Like any other mass produced power equipment, you’re looking at a limited lifetime on these units.

My understanding is that Electrolux spun off Husqvarna - although they may still have controlling interest. I do know I bought my first Husqvarna chainsaw in 1996 and it lasted 15 years of solid abuse. I have two more newer models that I am happy with but you can see the decline in quality. When I look at the chainsaws in the store you can see the decline in quality - Poulan which Husqvarna also makes is junk. My next chainsaw will be a Stihl or something else. I bought a high end Husqvarna Riding Mower last year - 24 or 25 hp Kawasaki engine with a K66 transmission for well under half of what a John Deere with the similar engine/transmission would have cost. I have no doubt the frame on the John Deere was more rugged, but I am still ahead if my Husqvarna lasts 1/2 the life of a John Deere.

1 Like

I ordered a new Yardmax rear tine tiller today off of EBay for $499 w/free shipping and no tax. It is dual rotation with a Briggs engine. I could see no difference in it vs the Cub Cadet, Husqvarna and Mtd made tillers that sell for $799. I missed some deals on Craigslist for used tillers but I just haven’t had the time to travel 1 to 2 hours to pick up a tiller.

The 20% off coupon is -PSPRING20 , valid today only up to $100. Here is the link if anybody is interested -

I researched the company - Yardmax is a new company but there products have gotten good reviews.

3 Likes

I bought a mid 90’s horse and used it about 2 months before it threw a rod. I went to Harbor Freight and bought a 6 hp Predator engine and put on it. It tills like a brand new one now. I gave $119.00 for the engine and it bolted right to it, so if the engine is bad you could go that route.They run the engine on sale sometimes for $99.00.

2 Likes

I brought it down to Ace Hardware because they do Troy Built repair, was only 30 bucks to look at it I figured why not. I thought the engine was seized because the cord barely pulled but turns out the engine was flood with gas/oil. He drained it and clean carburetor and a few other things cost me 150$ to fix it so I was happy with that don’t have to rent a tiller now.

Look at you tiller and all. Next thing you’re gonna buy a riding mower :smile:

I already did that a few weeks ago. Not doing 4 acres with a push mower!

2 Likes

So I found this tiller on a local classified site, original owner, paid over 2500, still has receipt, says it could use a tuneup but hasnt been used for about 6 years, guy wants $550. This is the TB Big Red Horse, with 11hp engine, built in 1998… no battery Decent deal?

1 Like

Thats todays price new and it would come with a warrenty.

2 Likes

I think you misunderstood what I was saying, hes selling it for $550, gonna go check it out tonight after work…

1 Like

wasn’t calling you the sucker. unless you bought it but i’m sure you didn’t :smile:

Assuming all it needs is a tune up and a battery it is a bargain. HomeDepot now carries TroyBilt, it is still a $2500 rototiller. The older models were considered extremely reliable. I had a chance to buy one from a pawnshop that had no issues for $700 and I am still kicking myself for not buying it.

2 Likes

It’s before MTD bought them (2001) so that’s good. As long as parts are readily available it may be a decent deal. If you can, check the engine make and model and make sure parts are readily available for that too. If it has a Tecumseh engine you may want to think twice as they’re out of business and some parts are unavailable.

3 Likes

I had one of the old tillers, before MTD, excellent piece of equipment. Are you sure it’s 11hp. Looks like the Kohler 8hp. Very strong engine. Had mine for 25yrs., it just started every spring, no fuss, no muss. If it’s the Kohler 8, buy it!!

3 Likes

$550 is a very good price, conditional that the tiller runs properly. It will cost $100 for a battery and about the same for a tuneup (cost of parts if you are mechanically minded). That tiller is easily worth $800 with the battery and after the tuneup.

Check these things:

1. How badly worn is the reversing disk? $20 to replace

2. Are the tines significantly worn? $150 to replace them so this is a big expense

3. Check the pull cord for fraying. It is easily replaced for about $5

4. Check the gear oil level in the transmission. Will need to be filled up if it is low.

Eventually you will need to replace the tines. I keep a set of spares handy so I can replace as needed. You will be tempted to buy the cheap tines for $85. They can be used, but will be a problem if the tiller is used in rocky soil. An 11 hp motor will literally break the cheap tines in half if it catches a rock just right. The cheap tines wear out in about half the time of the case hardened tines. Use your discretion.

4 Likes

So I got it, starts easy and runs good. Has a couple issues, the throttle tends to creep down if you dont tighten the wing nut on the engine after you speed it up, but when you do that, you cant adjust the rpms again until you loosen it. Also the lever to engage the motor doesnt stay down when its being used, it tends to pop out and take tension off the belts. Guy said he replaced the spring and that didnt help, said he would just use a bungee cord to hold it down when he was operating it. Some of the tines are worn, but others seem ok. It came with wheel weights that were never used and also the furrow attachment which was never used. Has all owners manuals, original receipt and receipt for a gear replacement and maintenance done a few years ago. I need to spend a couple hours and check everything on it, bolts and fluid levels, etc. I think it was a good deal tho, definitely an upgrade from my old pony. Guy said the drive belt has never been replaced, I wonder if an old belt could cause it to disengage when its under stress. It doesnt pop out when just motoring around, but when tilling deep and theres more pressure on the belt seems to frequently…

2 Likes

There is an adjustment for the lever to engage the motor. It is a fairly easy fix.

4 Likes

With me, Briggs engines have a bad reputation as ‘throw away’ on equipment. This might be a perfectly good engine, tough as nails, but I would want a good service record.

1 Like

The Troy-Bilt Horse tiller that I bought used a few years ago is over 40 years old with lots of hours on it. I put a few hours of work into it and it is doing its job with the original cast iron engine from kohler. For $550 you have a machine that will last the rest of your life. There are parts galore for these machines on ebay. These machines are reparable, rebuildable, repowerable and restorable.

5 Likes