Time for Tanglefoot trunk wrap

For me, the easiest material is masking tape. I wrapped around each tree to about8-10" band. Easy to apply Tanglefoot on and easy to take the wrapping off.

2 Likes

My experience has been stone fruits can take it having used it directly on all types of young and old stone fruit bark over the years. I don’t think I ever tried it directly on an apple and it sounds like its good I didn’t. The neem bark treatment also seems fine on stone fruits but not on apple so apple bark seems more sensitive to smothering.

2 Likes

Surveyor’s flagging tape is stretchy and works really well for me.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions, folks.

Thankfully it only happened once but that was enough. I think it was a phoebe. Living in the woods with small fields we have a pretty high population of a mix of birds. When I was putting the TF on with a stick it was pretty gobby and thick so easy to get stuck in. Now with using a brush it is much thinner and likely not as much a problem.

TanglefootCover-gf

Here is a photo of the wrap using old transparency film I had. I also cut the top off a large juice container, cut up the side and made a flap across the bottom to bend up and pin to the tree. And a lg yoghurt container on a small tree. They worked but the wire is easier.

HardwareClothTree-gf

Has anybody successfully used tanglefoot to deter beetles? Do you think wrapping the tree trunk with something like Tree Guard and then putting Tanglefoot on it could keep ambrosia beetles away? Since there won’t be much exposed trunk to drill hole into. Or do they drill right through that stuff? Or branches instead?
I bought a Tanglefoot this year for the first time. I have to say I’m pretty impressed with the product so far. It’s taking care of a lot of pests for me. More than I thought it would.

As mentioned before I started with Tanglefoot this year and like it. I used this tree wrap (see below)to wrap about 2-3 inches of the trunk and then apply tanglefoot onto it. Description for the wrap says it won’t girdle the tree. I took the wrap off the tree and it looks like the wrap didn’t expand for the tree to grow. See picture. I’m not sure if I wrapped it too tight. What does everybody wrap the tree tree with before applying tanglefoot? And have you noticed anything like this?

This is the wrap I used:
https://www.amazon.com/Dewitt-3-Inch-50-Foot-White-TW3W/dp/B0016AJC0W/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1538601769&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=tree+wrap&dpPl=1&dpID=4175PcW4LZL&ref=plSrch

About 4 inches of painter’s masking tape,wrapped with the sticky side out.It’s a little loose,but stays put.I also extend the TF a little over top edge of the tape,so no bugs can crawl underneath. Brady

1 Like

I’m reviving this thread to ask a question from more experienced tanglefoot users. I applied TF to some young apple trees (with protective layer) a few days ago and have had a couple of hot days. The TF has dripped down one side of the trunks. Applied to my figs last year and had the same issue, although worse - it dripped all the way around the trunk. The figs are growing well this year, so hopefully no permanent damage, but I’m worried about the apples.

I’m leaving a few inches under the TF, but it still melts off the protective layer. Has anyone else had this issue, or know a way to prevent it?

2 Likes

It appears there are a few Tangled Foot formulas (I have two different ones). The ones I use have not dripped. Also, the trunks of my trees are protected by the trees’ canpy. So, the TF areas do not get direct hit from the sun for long at all.

Is direct sun the damage mechanism? If so, I can just run some of plastic spiral protector up it to provide shade.

1 Like

What do you think cause your TF to melt and run? Mine do not do that.

Well the trunks do sit in direct sun for most of the day, so I can imagine they get pretty hot, leading to the melting. I’m just surprised because it’s happened to me for multiple applications, and I don’t see this as a common problem when I search the web. That has me thinking I’m doing something wrong, hence the question. I put it on pretty thick so maybe I should try going with a thinner layer.

Would you like to post the pic of you can of TF?

My Tanglefoot application did the same thing this year. I had it on top of tree wrap about a foot up from soil. It melted all the way down. I don’t remember it meting like this last year. Maybe melted about an inch down from where it ended. Not a foot. Only thing I can think of is maybe because it’s old this year (Mamuang do you finish your bucket in one season ? If not, do you use the same one next season?) or it’s been warmer than last year. Last few weeks have been brutal. Low 90’s with real feel of 100!

But so far it’s not hurting the tree. I’d hate to find that it does.
This is what I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Tanglefoot-Tree-Insect-Barrier-Tub/dp/B077XMQLTS/ref=asc_df_B077XMQLTS/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242009199808&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14845864077661126075&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007374&hvtargid=pla-418409686240&psc=1

1 Like

I have the one you posted. I don’t like it. I prefer this one.

TangleFoot Tangle-Trap Insect Trap 8 oz. - Ace Hardware.

I don’t have it melting down tree trunks. Like I mentioned it earlier, the wrapped areas are protected against hot sun by the trees’ canopy.

I think having TF running down tree trunks is not the same as smearing it directly to tree trunks. The latter would be harmful esp. for young trees.

3 Likes

Aaah that’s interesting! I’m using what Susu is using (bought at a local True Value). I also used a wrap suggested by a local fruit growers friend, but it’s a bit porous. I just pulled off that wrap and found that the TF has soaked through, so this morning I replaced with white plastic bag. By this afternoon (85 deg today) it was dripping down again. Pics of the new application below.

1 Like

Your putting it on to thick. It needs to be a thin layer with complete coverage.

3 Likes

This year my figs are late. I never removed last year’s plastic wrap / Tanglefoot wrap, but it was ineffective because over the past year enough dirt and dust stuck to it that ants just climb over it on the debris. There were ants in the figs. So I removed the old wrap and redid it.

That was when I noticed orange, rust colored spots on the bark under the old wrap. I don’t know if it will do any harm. I applied the new wrap a little higher. This time I intend to remove the wrap when the figs are done, so I don’t create another friendly environment for fungal disease.

The good news is that now the figs are ant-free once again.

4 Likes