Toka-bubblegum plum

Today I harvested my Toka plums.

Birds started hitting some and I was not yet ready with my roof over net.

They were small like really large cherries. I thought I thinned enough. Maybe it was the very dry June & July.

But, the flavor was something else. Now I know why the name " bubblegum".

They were all firm although the color varied. Regardless of color they were all sweet with just the right amount of acidity. Those that were even just barely beginning to soften developed that “bubblegum” flavor. Remember “tutti fruity” from when were kids.

The only mistery to me is their small size.

Mike

5 Likes

Mike

This is the first year that I have some, planted the tree in the fall of 2012. I have about as many as you have in your picture this year and they are also around the same size as yours. Three dropped this weekend and the rest are still holding on the tree wrapped in green tulle.

Here in the southeastern part of my state we have had almost no rain here for this month and the past two as well. Interesting to see what Bob has to say about the size of his because he is in the southwestern part of my state and just over the border from him is Alan. They both seem to have had quite a bit of rain this summer unlike us. As far as I know I think they are suppose to get up to about one and a half inch in size.

Lance

I am about 60 miles due north of Alan. I have had a dry summer. Not drought but dry. I have mountains west and south of me. Many times rains would hit the mountains and skirt around me.

Don’t get me wrong. I did not have to supplement with watering but it seemed that it always rained just enough to keep things green.

Mike

I think mine were a bit bigger than those above, but not by much. About 1.5’’ diameter seems about right. My Laroda is definitely bigger at 1.6-1.7" (I measured a couple on the counter, which are a slightly larger than the Bubblegum plums were). I don’t have any pics or exact measurements, as I finished eating mine a day or two ago.

We got a lot of rain and cold early on this year, but the last month and a bit has been pretty dry. Not no rain, but maybe a bit less than usual. But I don’t think that had much impact on the size- they were about the same size last year (the first year I got any).

By 8/15, I picked about half a dozen and had about 20-25 left on the tree (see below pic). That night, something ate all but 4 of them, so there is some danger to leaving them hanging. They sure do have an interesting flavor. Some of them are a bit strong with the artificial taste, but I enjoyed the ones I had. I’m not sure that I’d want too many though. I think I prefer Satsuma and Laroda to Bubblegum and Superior. All of them seem to get into the high teens in brix for me.

Edit: added pic from 8/15. Of the fruit in the pic, there were only 1 or 2 left the next day.

3 Likes

Size seems to coincide with my own experiences with this outstanding variety- 1.25 to 1.5". Still looking forward to this year’s crop. My tree has been quite vigorous until last year’s 1000 fruit load(4th leaf!). I made a wine with some of that crop which really benefited from the aromatic quality this variety has. Delicious out of hand eating. Acidic skin made cooking a bit challenging. Great pollinator with profuse long bloom. Hardy in my 5a location.

2 Likes

Taken today 8.24

3 Likes

Hello, we put these in as pollinators 10 years ago and have almost always gotten some crop, but never a large crop until this year, which is massive. They never get to large size, 1.5" is about all you can hope for, few larger. We find they must pick easly for best flavor (almost fall off in your hand). They will drop if you don’t pick them every day when ripening.

Eric

In the midst of Toka harvest here, I just give the tree a gentle shake and pick them off the ground. My son like to climb the ladder and squeeze each one to find the ripest☺

A nice ripe one tested at 21 brix, good and sweet!

7 Likes

Ah yes, that’s the professional approach…!! Shaking onto the ground…ah…we’ll call that the mature approach…LOL

4 Likes

My new trees. Toka and Superior plum.

7 Likes

Enjoy them Vincent, I really like both of them.

1 Like

Thank you Mike, hopefully they do well in my area.

Any idea what they are grafted onto?

1 Like

They didn’t say anything, Just know from the nursery in Oregon. Just know having the roots stock for sure. Any problems with their root stock to limit their fruiting.?

Today Toka is busting out with booms. S.E Ohio. Long time before we are out of the woods for frost. Normally Mothers Day is when we are safe.

Bob, last year we had a hard frost May 15th after everything had set. Most everything got wiped out in my entire orchard except the Toka, it actually had a decent crop. Pretty tough tree. . .

1 Like

Bubble Gum? Not sure there was any Double Bubble or Hubba Bubba flavor.

6 Likes

My neighbour has a beautiful Toka plum tree… She shared her harvest with family members and neighbours as the tree was loaded with hundreds of fruits. It was the best plum I had… lol… Seems like I always say that about home grown fruits and veggies :yum: They were super sweet and juicy. The aroma was mild when the fruits were still firm and red. It was very strong (bubblegum like) when the fruits were soft and purple.

They were picked over one week, last days of august and first days of september.

9 Likes

@jessica4b

Hold them on the counter until they are just starting to lose their tight springy firm feel and the flesh will start turning dark red, juicy and slightly stringy.

I don’t object to slightly softer plums so if you let it go a little longer, then chill it in the fridge for an hour and then pop the whole plum in your mouth, bite down on it and you will have a flavor explosion to remember.
Its absolutely addictive.

Mike

3 Likes

Very interesting flavor on this plum. I also like it.