Tomatoes of 2015: Types, Tastes, and Pictures

More Heirlooms: Red Barn, Purple Dog Creek, Rebel Yell, German Johnson, Couilles De Taureau, Black Krim

Margaret Curtain, a wonderful black tomato with a luscious flavor found in blacks. My first time growing. Reminds me of Black Krim. One of my new favorites. Very productive.

1 Like

Margaret Curtain looks a lot like Indian Stripe, one of my new favorites! (Indian Stripe).

I love Indian Stripe. It is a keeper!

Great pictures Drew! Your container garden looks wonderful this year. Look’s like you get a nice production of fruit and vegetables.

Ginny

More Heirloom Tomatoes: Red Barn, first time growing and weighed just over a pound. The fruit was meaty and juicy with a nice tangy tomato flavor. Winsall: Meaty/juicy and balanced tomato flavor. German Johnson Potato Leaf, fantastic tomato!! Meaty, rich, tomato with a well balanced tomato flavor. My first year growing and it is in my top five favorites for this year. Purple Dog Creek, always one of my favorites year to year. A wonderful, productive, large tomato. On the sweet side. Madame Rouge Garnier: Has a nice balance of tang and sweetness. Good canning tomato. Has ribbed fruit. Very productive. One of my plants has over 35 fruit so far.

Purple Dog Creek… Love this heirloom tomato! A favorite. Meaty…

Ginny

One last picture for the night… A platter of sliced heirlooms… Rebel Yell, Tree Bottom Yellow and Old German. We had lot’s of BLT’s this past few weeks! Yummy!!

Ginny

2 Likes

Wow, tomatoes heaven. I may ask for some seeds from you. They look awesome.

Tony

I grew a few varieties this year, Chocolate Cherry, Sweet Million, Yellow Pear, Brandywine, Cherokee Purple, Yellow Brandywine, Principe Borghese and Yellow Centiflor. All were super productive and disease resistant for me. Not a tomato worm in sight in 100 tomato plants. Maybe I just got lucky this year…
Chocolate Cherry- insanely productive. Flavor is pretty good, I’ve found they are great for roasted tomato sauce. Color is kinda odd. Customers didn’t seem to like the color.
Sweet Million- favorite of just about everyone that visited. Tiny cherry tomatoes but boy are they flavorful. Great for snacking or roasted tomato sauce.
Brandywines- I like the flavor and super productive but they cracked like crazy after we got some rain.
Yellow Brandywines- my favorite of the slicers. Yummy! Love the rich golden color.
Yellow Pear- Kinds bleh, good for color. Very productive. Crack a lot.
Principe Borghese- very cute little paste tomato. Very productive. I will grow it again but I’d like to try a bigger paste tomato next year.
Cherokee Purple- very average, but productive and didn’t crack.
Yellow Centiflor- not very tasty, nice color. Very similar to yellow pear except not so pear shaped. Probably wont grow again.

Love the tomato pictures!! Barefoot Gardener, Bear Claw looks and sounds divine!
Drew, I’d love to try Opalka, Romeo and Di Parma next year! I’m really into sauce so thusly very into finding a good paste tomato, and those sound great!! Would love to trade for a few seeds of those.

1 Like

Sure, in the fall when we get bored. I am overwhelmed with garden chores about right now. I will have fresh seed of all of those. Di Parma is putting up another round, I’ll save more seed from them.
Remind me in the fall with a pm. Those three were the most productive for me, and we had a tough season here. Hit early with Septoria Spot. Copper helped keep it in check, and even stopped on some plants. Never seen that before.

Oh yes, I meant in the fall sorry. Too much stuff to do right now I agree, heck I shouldn’t even be on the computer, should be out doing chores!! I’ll remind you later, thanks so much!!

Some very impressive tomatoes on this thread! keep the pictures coming.

I am fermenting a lot of seeds in my kitchen!! :smile:

Ginny

When you save tomato seeds and you grow more than one veriaty do they ever cross?

Derby, there is a very small chance tomatoes could cross, but I usually bag my blossoms on the plants I want to save seed from, to be certain of no crosses. I don’t want to take a chance since I regrow out, and I give some away and also trade. I try to keep my seed pure.

Nothing wrong with crosses though as you can end up with some very interesting tomatoes.

Ginny

Thanks for explaining , I have noticed that many of you that take time and effort to save tomato seeds also grow lots different types.

Yeah me too, but not a lot of seeds going right now. Cool, some look good, I may make a request or two. I should wait though. i have plenty to trial.

I’m only home here in the city, in the summer Monday through Thursday afternoon. So I always seem to be playing catch up. I got a lot done this week though.

Glad to hear Margaret Curtain is doing well for you! I have grown many blacks but they are often not very productive. I have seed for MC and was planning on trying it next year.

My Brandywine thing is really pumping them out this summer. Its not your standard Brandywine because the tomatoes are more normal sized, but they are very tasty and we are getting all the tomatoes we can eat off of only one plant.

I myself don’t eat that many so one good plant would do it. But I like making sauce, just for fun, and well the more the better! I grow around 14 plants, 10 are for sauce only. 2 cherries, and 2 eating tomatoes.
Yes the blacks seem less productive, but man do they taste good.