Tomatoes of 2015: Types, Tastes, and Pictures

Welcome, but sorry that was a mistake, it doesn’t exit. Not sure why I put that? Just wasn’t paying attention.

No I have not, though I heard someone has and a more consistent heart may be out there. I was told this by Caroline at Tomatoville. It probably has or will be offered there.You should ask her about it. I’m happy with what I have and have no plans to pursue the better example. Not that my heart is consistent, I just don’t care about that. Indian Stripe sure is a great tomato though. I will always grow it.

Drew, l looked through the pictures of tomatoes again and I liked the shape of the bottom left tomato very much. This pear-like, ribbed one. What variety is it? I also liked the unusual shape of paste Polish linguisa. Do you have seeds to spare? I have some varieties you might be interested. I am looking forward for your description of Auria tomato next summer. I was tempted to order the seeds, but I did not want to pay for the shipping, it was expensive.

It is I think from Romeo, pretty sure. Like two fruits fused together. That plant produced a couple of fruits that looked like this.[quote=“Antmary, post:162, topic:2029”]
Do you have seeds to spare?
[/quote]
Yes, I can send some I collected this season.
PM address

Well due to demands for my time, I will only be growing a few tomatoes next season. Sucks, but nothing I can do about it. This one was cut, no sauce or paste tomatoes next year. I don’t have time to prep and make sauce. Which really sucks as I’m already almost out of my own sauce.

I do keep in touch with Carolyn on the topic – the currently “working” IS Heart? lines of which I am aware came from seeds first distributed by Carolyn, (as is true of about eleventy zillion other varieties [g]).

I got one IS Heart? plant to produce, and shared seeds from it and from an exceptionally good Indian Stripe Potato Leaf plant (also from a Carolyn distribution) with a person in Florida, who grew a plant from each and distributed their seeds widely early in 2015. While we’re seeing some ‘hearty’ behavior from that IS Heart? line, it’s not as consistent as I think it should be. Another person (overseas) also grew an IS Heart plant from Carolyn-distributed seeds, and there are some indications that it might be a more consistent heart producer, so that’s a hopeful source, if it proves to be possible to get some seeds from it for more growouts. But I am alert to any indications of anyone who has a reliable IS Heart producing plant, as their may be some out there, just growing quietly in someone’s garden, that aren’t widely known.

And I was especially alert at the PL mention – an IS Heart PL would not be at all surprising, but I hadn’t heard of anyone growing one as yet.

While I would like to see the IS Heart?s I’m growing produce hearts reliably, I feel much as you do, in practice – if that line “fails” in consistent heart production, it still generates a crop of nice Indian Stripe tomatoes, so it’s not as if the garden space was wasted.

And the offspring of my exceptional IS PL plant usually outproduces the IS Heart?s so, all good. :slight_smile:

Could it be Cuore di Bue?

No the bottom fruits on that plate are from the same plant, Romeo.
It is a mutation, pretty cool. Here is a 2nd fusion from this plant. Tomato on the left is a 2nd mutation from this plant. All are romeo tomatoes.
If anyone wants seeds I saved from these fruits now is the time to speak up as I’m pulling them out for Antmary. Trades welcome, but I will send seeds to you if you have nothing to trade, just send me a SASE, or pay postage via PayPal.
PM me for my address.

1 Like

Nice tomatoes Drew. I sent you PM.

Yeah my sauce this year came out great, I used all tomatoes mentioned in this thread I grew. It was thick and tasty! Romeo is a keeper. Those tomatoes are actually very lightweight. The fruits are all meat no water. Making sauce required little thickening of the sauce! I don’t think i ate any fresh, all went to sauce. You definitely want to use them for cooking. Here is a third fusion, and you can see it really is just two tomatoes fused together. Why this happened??? See the green stems at the top? Looks like two tomatoes.

More tomatoes from last year. A pink Berkeley tie dye, and Unknown? I forget what this was? I should have labeled photo! Berkeley is a tasty tomato! Very good, I would definitely try it if you have not.

I don’t a know a much about growing tomatoes. My wife bought a container of little cherry tomatoes from Sams Club a few nights ago and they were labeled “Flavor Bombs”. They were really good and very sweet. I think I’m going to collect some seeds and grow them out and see how they do.

Maria,

What variety is this tomato?

Some of these tomatoes and peppers are from your seeds.

Tony

3 Likes

Fabulous! I still want to tryvtour purple yam dish!

2 Likes

Tony,
This tomato is Romeo, very large meaty type good for processing and drying. I think it somewhat lacks in the flavor department as many paste tomatoes do, but I am very spoiled with good tasting tomatoes.

2 Likes

Thanks,

I will be saving some of these seeds for next year planting.

Tony

1 Like

fresh from garden

5 Likes