Tropical fruits

Travel aboard. These tropical fruits taste really good.

big guava - crunchy, juicy and sweet

wax apple - sweet. juciy

super size jujube - juicy sweet, very large in size.

11 Likes

Guava with red pulp is harder to find and more expensive.

6 Likes

You call it wax apple. I call it rose apples. I‘ve found that in general, the green ones are sweeter than the red or pink ones.

10 Likes

I’m on a roll re. Tropical fruit :smile:
I did not know this fruit is called Marian plums.
In Thailand, there are two popular kinds, one is sweet and sour, the other is just sweet. The second is now dominating the market. It is larger, meatier and sweeter. Their color is very pretty orange. Most fruit there don’t have this color.
@tonyOmahaz5 @PharmerDrewee, have you eaten them?

d

5 Likes

Is this one maprang?? Sort of like a small mango? I had something like that when I went to Thailand, but have never seen it in the States. I’ll have to stay alert at the fruit markets in NYC when I go visit.

2 Likes

It is called Trai Thanh Tra in Vietnam. Taste somewhat like a mango. I want to buy some.

Tony

4 Likes

Maprang is the smaller kind that tadtes sweet and sour. The new kind is called Mayong Chid, larger and sweeter. I have never seen them in the US. Those pics were taken in Thailand.

I have more pics of other tropical fruit to share.

2 Likes

The usual suspects:
Mangosteens

And longans

6 Likes

These are Salak. It tastes sweet and sour. Thorny skin can be a pain. People are willing to pay more for peeled ones for convenience’s sake.
@jujubemulberry probably is quite familiar with these, right?

6 Likes

I think in Viet Nam they are called dừa nước (water coconut). That picture was from when I visited southwest Viet Nam. It grows wild in the river delta there.

6 Likes

and the palm tree itself is prickly, ouch! But a good quality salak is worthy of some bloodletting. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it. I have never seen fresh salak(peeled or whole fruit) sold here in vegas. All of them sold frozen.

1 Like

In Thai, it is called Sala. It is believed to have medicinal property.

@jujubemulberry, I have not found even frozen around where I live.

I thought I had come across every possible tropical fruit. But you just shared a few I’ve never seen. How does Salak taste? Looks like ripe jack fruit. Same texture?

I will leave it to @jujubemulberry to describe the taste and texture of Salak. Raf is so good that it.

There are a few more fruit I will post later.

1 Like

Here is a fruit I’ve never seen in the States. Can anyone guess what it is? I’m actually not even sure what to call it in English.

4 Likes

That is the toddy palm fruit/nut whatever you want to call it hahaha. I’ve only seen canned in syrup in the states. In my family, we only used it in desserts called nam vam or tri color/che type desserts. Although I would love to try the fresh fruits one day.

2 Likes

toddy palm is good eating! You guys are killing me with cravings and desires…
Other related palm “fruits” that hopefully more people would get to try are sugar palm and anahaw palm fruits.

just like toddy palm, sugar palm and anahaw seeds have delicious chewy gels inside.

2 Likes

maybe because my only recourse is to put in to words what i cannot have, for more almost two decades…

my whining aside, there are sour salak and sweet salak. The texture is not really rubbery like certain jackfruit, and the better ones are somewhat like a good sweet-sour tamarind but also different with its own flavor identity

2 Likes

Attap palm ([Singapore], Nipa palm ([Philippines], Mangrove palm hoặc Nipah palm ([Malaysia], Dua Nuoc (Vietnam). I really liked it. I harvested them along the river banks at my Grandma farm.

Tony

5 Likes

We call them Loog jag (Nypa Fruitcans). Grown in or near water. I love them. Their dry leaves are used the same way as thatch for roofing.

1 Like